• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

NH to MA Transfer

I am a long-time reader of NE Shooters, and I have read a few threads here and there, but cannot find some answers that fit my situation regarding transferring firearms/becoming a licensed MA owner.

Background info:
-I grew up in NH, my parents still live in NH, and I own a SW M&P9 in NH (no thumb safety or anything--my name was on the original purchase a few years ago).
-I moved to Cambridge, MA a bit over a year ago, changed my DL and car registration over to MA, but left my handgun at home in the 'family safe'.

I would like to do some competitions here in MA, and get my LTC-A card.

Main Questions:
1. Once I get my FID card, do I have to fill out a FA-10 when I bring my M&P9 to my house in Cambridge?
2. So long as I have 10rnd mags, my NH-purchased M&P9 should be fine to have in MA?
2a. Is there any out-there clause that allows me to use the 17rnd mags in MA?
3. Any tips on getting an unrestricted LTC in Cambridge? (Its my understanding that Cambridge likes to restrict to no-carrying)
3a. If i get restricted, and I move to a green-city, how do I get unrestricted?

Out-there questions
3. If a friend has LTC in NH, and I have a LTC in MA, can he sell me a gun face to face or does it have to be through FFL?
4. Can I be a temporary resident in NH (live @ parents house for a few weeks) to purchase a few more handguns before I become MA licensed?
5. If my father/family owns a handgun, can I bring it with me to MA, fill out a FA-10 for it? (item in question is an old 1911)
5a. What proof do I need that I 'own' a firearm to transfer it to MA?

Thanks for you help!
Mike

Last edited:
1. Yes, you must do the FA-10. In order to avoid an FA-10, you would have had to bring the pistol in with you when you moved.

2. Yes, your NH M&P is fine in MA.
2a. No, it is a felony.

3. Maybe other people will answer this. It is easier to move out of cambridge to Arlington, etc than try in Cambridge. Remember, your LTC will likely be restricted for 5-6 years if it is issued restricted. I moved, but my restrictions remain until my LTC expires.

Out there questions:
3. FTF sales between residents of different states are a no go.
4. Yes. If you live in NH some of the time, while you live in NH, you can buy guns in NH. As to how you can document this, it is easier if you own or rent your other state residence because then you will have proof of residence. See the ATF FAQS for multiple states of residence.
5. Yes, you may borrow a handgun, but only for "sporting purposes" per Federal law.
5a. You don't really need any proof of ownership for the FA-10. If you bought it at a dealer, you would have a receipt, but you don't need proof, and you would leave the "seller" information on the FA-10 blank for an out of state purchase registration.

Thanks Browncoat,

Following up,

On 3, do you know of anyone I can talk to for advice on how to not get restricted?

Back
Top Bottom