• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

NH: Sick deer

MacNH

NES Member
My daughter and son in law live in southern NH and discovered deer with what looks like a broken leg on their property while walking their dog. At first there was other deer around it but an hour later they’ve been gone and the deer in question hasn’t moved. It’s close to their home and are concerned about possible disease as my daughter is expecting. They called the local PD and were advised that they can’t do anything and suggested calling F&G but they are closed at this time.

What is the right course of action? Here’s a pic from a few minutes ago.

Attachments

• 56BE30FE-FD37-4517-83C6-CC3E85D3F59F.jpeg
    56BE30FE-FD37-4517-83C6-CC3E85D3F59F.jpeg
    118.7 KB · Views: 218
reasonable to euthanize the animal if that's an option. if not i would just leave it there until light of day and then have it removed. if your pregnant daughter stays away from it there's no issue. the good news is that there are plenty of deer so this shouldn't have too much effect on their population.

reasonable to euthanize the animal if that's an option. if not i would just leave it there until light of day and then have it removed. if your pregnant daughter stays away from it there's no issue. the good news is that there are plenty of deer so this shouldn't have too much effect on their population.
If it looks starved you need to report it to f&g there is a wasting disease going through the white tale population.

Where in So. NH? My neighbors are tight with our local game warden if they are in our area.

I’d be worried about the ticks if you have a dead deer carcass on my property. I’d be worried more if it was on my pregnant daughter’s land.

If it’s safe to do so, harvest it and put it in the freezer. Why invite .gov into your life?
Uh....deer season is closed. "Safe" has nothing to do with it. Shooting a deer out of season has a higher probability of inviting the .gov into their life than just calling the f and g and having them handle it.....best way to keep the .gov out if their life is let nature take it's course. Did you really think about your answer before keyboard vomiting? Because you literally just told the op to poach a deer.

Op......stay away from the deer and your daughter will be fine. Let nature take it's course.....the coyotes will take care of it.....it's nature.....coyotes gotta eat too. If for some reason nature is too much for your daughter to handle.......tell her to call the boys in green in the morning if it's still there....they'll probably come out and put it down and possibly offer the meat to your family.

Last edited:
If it looks starved you need to report it to f&g there is a wasting disease going through the white tale population.

Don’t think any reports of CWD in NH. Prob injured. I would have done the humane thing and put it down somehow, but probably too late, as the popo are already involved. Then wait for the coyotes and wreak havoc on them.

Last year, we were driving back home late at night and we were 300 feet from home, suddenly there's a deer laying in the road with broken car parts scattered around it. Someone hit it and drove off with car damage, probably minutes before we arrived. The deer was startled enough by us that it managed to force itself to get up and slowly hobble off with a really bad limp. I wonder what happened to it. I never figured out who hit the deer either... whoever it was left what looks like Ford sedan bumper/grille parts on the ground.

Get toked up and spread a big pile of corn near the animal. It'll make for better television.

(Seriously - if they are there with cameras, wave to all of us. LOL)

No ticks in these temps.

I've taken a few deer in december that had tics on em.

My first deer of this season was shot on a frigid 18* morning- Had plenty of ticks. The ticks are inside the deer's fur line, so they're insulated right next to the body heat, and constantly slurping on nice warm, blood.

Absolutely no reason there wouldn't be ticks on that deer.

When I had my dog and we'd go romping through the woods 2-3x a week, she'd pick up ticks until the temps were below 30 degrees. Even at barely freezing, ticks were latching on from the grasses and such. I was amazed. That dog loved to roam.

F&G came this morning. Put it down and on their truck. Told my daughter it looked like it was hit by a car and stumbled into the woods on their property.
All is good.

Back
Top Bottom