• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

NH resident selling to MA resident

I'm looking to sell a firearm to a MA resident (I currently live in NH.) Can someone tell me how I can do this without getting arrested? Do I have to go through an FFL?

FFL is required for different state sales (NH to MA in this case). It's easy if a long gun. If it's a pistol, you need to make sure it's on the MA approved list, then locate a FFL that is willing to do the transfer for you. If you don't have a MA LTC, you'll need to do the transaction on this side of the fence.

Damn, "not Tom" beat me by one minute... [laugh]

It's a Sig M400. So all I need to do is bring this guy to an FFL, do the transaction and get paid? That easy?

You could just drop the gun off at your FFL in NH, and have them ship it to his FFL in MA. As long as it's on the MA roster. (AWB configured) You could meet up beforehand for him to inspect it, etc. Then if he likes it, ship it to his chosen FFL.

Last edited:
It's a Sig M400. So all I need to do is bring this guy to an FFL, do the transaction and get paid? That easy?

You could go to a NH FFL with the buyer and transfer it there, since it's a rifle not a pistol. That said, if the rifle is in "free america" configuration then the dealer isn't supposed to transfer it since it would violate the MA AWB. The dealer may or may not know about that rule, or care, and your buyer may or may not know or care. YMMV, IANAL.

You could go to a NH FFL with the buyer and transfer it there, since it's a rifle not a pistol. That said, if the rifle is in "free america" configuration then the dealer isn't supposed to transfer it since it would violate the MA AWB. The dealer may or may not know about that rule, or care, and your buyer may or may not know or care. YMMV, IANAL.

Yeah, this would work too.

If its in a non-MA compliant configuration, sell the upper and all the parts to the guy separately and just use the FFL for the transfer of the receiver. End of problem.

What the other guy chooses to do is up to him.
For all you know he may be someone who is allowed to possess a non-compliant firearm.

Many NH FFL's near the MA border know better than to transfer rifles with EVIL features and will not do so. Many NH FFL's farther north might be a different story

jHagan,

Read the link above. But the bottom line is that any semi-automatic rifle fed by a detachable magazine can not have ANY of the following:

1) Folding or Telescoping stock. (you are ok here)
2) A bayonet lug (you look ok here too)
3) A flash hider (doesn't look good)
4) A threaded barrel (doesn't look good)

You could have it shipped to a dealer/gunsmith and have them permanently affix a muzzle brake. Then it would be ok. There seems to be some disagreement in this community about whether or not a MA dealer could take in a non-compliant gun for conversion.

But if you had a NH, CT, or RI dealer/gunsmith do it, you eliminate that argument altogether. Then you go to that out of state dealer for a legal transfer to you.

This is how you could do it and remain within all state and federal laws. However, whether its worth the extra money and effort is up to you.

Thanks for the info, I was thinking about having a relative in NH purchase for me and doing the conversion up there, then transferring to me down here. Is this a viable alternative?

Thanks for the info, I was thinking about having a relative in NH purchase for me and doing the conversion up there, then transferring to me down here. Is this a viable alternative?

That would be a straw purchase. The first question on the 4473 form is:

Are you the transferee/buyer of the firearm(s) listed on this form? Warning: You are not the actual buyer if you are acquiring the firearm(s) on behalf of another person. If you are not the actual buyer, the dealer cannot transfer the firearm(s) to you.

Your relative would be buying the gun on your behalf, and thus committing a federal felony.

I'm pretty much asking the same thing as the guy above me. If I paid for the gun and had an ffl in NH perform the muzzle break weld before I took possession would that work? Second does anyone know of an ffl/smith in NH that would perform the work? (They could make a little cash out of the venture as there is a pretty healthy demand here in MA for such a service.)

I'm pretty much asking the same thing as the guy above me. If I paid for the gun and had an ffl in NH perform the muzzle break weld before I took possession would that work? Second does anyone know of an ffl/smith in NH that would perform the work? (They could make a little cash out of the venture as there is a pretty healthy demand here in MA for such a service.)

That's different, because there is no intermediary person in the middle. So that would not be a straw purchase.

OK. What about buying it from an ffl and then leaving it at a friend's in NH while I find a smith to perform the conversion?

Essentially, how long do I have to register the gun in MA before there's an issue if I haven't brought it into the state? And is it breaking a law that I own a gun that is non compliant with the AWB even though it will never be in MA in that configuration?

Last edited:
The GOAL website has alot of information about this topic - http://www.goal.org/masslawpages/awfacts.html

I've purchased rifles in NH before and printed out a copy of this in case questions came up about transfers etc.. The GOAL site used to have this info in a simple, easy to read table, but I can't find it right now.

ETA: The GOAL info is only a guideline - "Caution: this information is intended as a guide only and should not be construed as legal advice."

Last edited:
OK. What about buying it from an ffl and then leaving it at a friend's in NH while I find a smith to perform the conversion?

Essentially, how long do I have to register the gun in MA before there's an issue if I haven't brought it into the state? And is it breaking a law that I own a gun that is non compliant with the AWB even though it will never be in MA in that configuration?

Perfectly fine if the FFL will do it (they aren't supposed to according to Fed Law, but that is their problem not yours). You must register anything you bring into MA within 7 days of CROSSING the border the 1st time! So if it sits there for years, no harm, no foul. When you do, just read the instructions HERE ON NES carefully about registration and IGNORE the instructions which are purposefully INCORRECT on the e-FA10 website!

--------------

As for relying on info on the GOAL website for legal info w/o verifying it in the statutes, that is NOT something I would do when the next 10 years of my life are at stake. I've already noted a few substantial errors in their info, one of which can get you 10 years all expense paid vacation in our gulags and PP status when they release you. Rely on websites for links to the state websites and verify for yourself!

As for relying on info on the GOAL website for legal info w/o verifying it in the statutes, that is NOT something I would do when the next 10 years of my life are at stake. I've already noted a few substantial errors in their info, one of which can get you 10 years all expense paid vacation in our gulags and PP status when they release you. Rely on websites for links to the state websites and verify for yourself!

Good point Len, and GOAL mentions this as well -
Caution: this information is intended as a guide only and should not be construed as legal advice.

The FFL should not transfer a gun to you unless it complies with the laws of your home state.

If you wanted to be totally in compliance with all laws, which is probably a good thing. I'd suggest the following.

You buy the gun from the dealer, but he does not transfer it to you. (Remember there is a difference between financial ownership and possession) Then the dealer holds it for you while you find a smith to do the work. Dealer ships it to the smith when you find one. Smith does the work and does the transfer to you when he is done.

Like Len said, once its in your name there is no rush in getting it into MA. Just when you do bring it into MA, do a FA10 and you are squeaky clean.

Don

p.s. ***LEN** - do you see any problems with shipping a non-compliant gun to a MA gunsmith for the work?

Last edited:
Reliving an old thread. Lots of good info here......what if someone from mass wanted to buy a bolt action 5 round cap (obviously not AWB) from a NH resident......can they purchase private sale and transfer on an EFA10? The EFA10 site has a spot there on "Register" and states registration for rifle purchased in another state.

Reliving an old thread. Lots of good info here......what if someone from mass wanted to buy a bolt action 5 round cap (obviously not AWB) from a NH resident......can they purchase private sale and transfer on an EFA10? The EFA10 site has a spot there on "Register" and states registration for rifle purchased in another state.

NO. Private sales between individuals of different states must go through an FFL. You could transfer it at a NH FFL and then you'd have to fill out a FA-10 when you bring it back in to MA. In that case yes you would use the registration box, dealer/seller info is left blank for such a situation.

All that said, given what is going on these days you should think carefully about whether or not you want to file the FA-10. IANAL YMMV OMGWTFBBQ.

It is Federal Law that prohibits FTF transactions between 2 parties that don't live in the same state. An FFL is required for this.

Whacko - an example of the use of the "register" are as follows:

1) you buy a long gun from a NH dealer, then when you bring it into MA you "register" it.

2) you have a weekend home in NH and buy either a long gun or a hand gun in NH in a private sale in NH while you are up there for the weekend. (perfectly legal, the feds are very clear about this) You would file a FA10 if you chose to bring it into MA.

Back
Top Bottom