NH Resident Selling Preban Rifle to MA Resident

I know there are old threads on this topic and I've read them but I just want to clarify this point and hopefully get some direction from those who have done this before.

I'm a NH resident with a preban rifle (only imported in 1985-86) that I may want to sell. I originally bought it in MA when I was a MA resident with an LTC. Hypothetically if someone from MA wanted to buy it, I know that MA FFLs could do the transfer, but obviously I can't bring the thing into MA without risking a felony. I know by law a NH FFL could do the transfer since it is a long gun and legal in MA but do any NH FFLs actually know this and do this? No need to post any names of businesses publicly or anything. I know another option is having an NH FFL ship to a MA FFL that will do the transfer but that's a headache and I might as well just throw it on gun broker at that point.

You can't possess a long gun in MA?

Most expats dont retain their LTC. Although if the OP had an expired LTC they would still be somewhat insulated from a felony rap, but its not even worth dicking with.

It's far easier for the OP to just have the MA buyer meet them at an NH FFL to do the transfer.

If it's clearly pre-94 I don't think you'll have a problem with just about any NH FFL unless they just don't want transfer business. (Source: either experiencing or witnessing any number of interactions in different shops that went "oh, it's pre-94, sure, we can sell it to you.") I think since the whole country had to go through the AWB they get it a little better than whatever stuff the AG has made up recently.

The other thing you could do is meet the buyer on the state line and travel together to a MA dealer for the transfer. No felony because the MA res has possession. You need nothing but your ID for an MA dealer to legally transfer to the MA res

Just remember a hard case w/lock or locked trunk for transport

Most expats dont retain their LTC. Although if the OP had an expired LTC they would still be somewhat insulated from a felony rap, but its not even worth dicking with.

It's far easier for the OP to just have the MA buyer meet them at an NH FFL to do the transfer.
Aha.

The other thing you could do is meet the buyer on the state line and travel together to a MA dealer for the transfer. No felony because the MA res has possession. You need nothing but your ID for an MA dealer to legally transfer to the MA res

That's still retarded considering there's probably an NH FFL within 10 minutes of wherever they met. It's a lot of mental masturbation/anxiety over something that isn't a
problem.

That's still retarded considering there's probably an NH FFL within 10 minutes of wherever they met. It's a lot of mental masturbation/anxiety over something that isn't a problem.
BTW, which kind of FFL is (percentage-wise) more likely
to facilitate a pre-ban rifle transfer
from an NH resident to a Mass resident?
  • NH FFL?
    • -or-
  • MA FFL?
Either of course has the prerogative to nope away from the transaction,
even based not on the parties, but on the general principle that Mass sucks.

But which pile of FFLs is less risk-averse about that class of transaction,
on average?

BTW, which kind of FFL is (percentage-wise) more likely
to facilitate a pre-ban rifle transfer
from an NH resident to a Mass resident?
  • NH FFL?
    • -or-
  • MA FFL?
Either of course has the prerogative to nope away from the transaction,
even based not on the parties, but on the general principle that Mass sucks.

But which pile of FFLs is less risk-averse about that class of transaction,
on average?

Meh, I know plenty that would do it on either side of the line. Pre 94 is pretty obvious-easy-legal mode.

If it's clearly pre-94 I don't think you'll have a problem with just about any NH FFL unless they just don't want transfer business. (Source: either experiencing or witnessing any number of interactions in different shops that went "oh, it's pre-94, sure, we can sell it to you.") I think since the whole country had to go through the AWB they get it a little better than whatever stuff the AG has made up recently.

I feel stupid now. Reading your post just reminded me that one of my favorite local shops here in NH actually has a separate little rack of preban ARs that are clearly meant to be sold to people from MA who make the drive up.

I would mail the gun to the buyer's FFL on the buyer's dime. Give the buyer enough pictures to make his decision and don't bother. Or drop it off at your NH FFL to be sent to the Mass FFL.

Of course, when I lived in NH, I lived two hours from the border and I loathed going south for any reason.

I would mail the gun to the buyer's FFL on the buyer's dime. Give the buyer enough pictures to make his decision and don't bother. Or drop it off at your NH FFL to be sent to the Mass FFL.

Of course, when I lived in NH, I lived two hours from the border and I loathed going south for any reason.
Still dumb compared to just driving it to a mutually agreed NH dealer. It can take 2 hours of bullshit just to mail something.

Still dumb compared to just driving it to a mutually agreed NH dealer. It can take 2 hours of bullshit just to mail something.

Not in my experience. If it takes two hours to mail let's say an AR or AK... you need a new post office.

YMMV.

Not in my experience. If it takes two hours to mail let's say an AR or AK... you need a new post office.

YMMV.
It's not about the post office it's about all the bullshit required to get the packaging materials to pack up a rifle for safe shipment. Unless you have that stuff just hanging around it's just a pain in the ass... I would rather drive for 4 hours then pack one gun any day of the week.... also I would know that it's not going to get damaged in transit or lost or any of that s***. Also there's no waiting for payment or any of that garbage either I get an envelope of cash when I show up to the dealer -ding fries are done, no bullshit. :)

It's not about the post office it's about all the bullshit required to get the packaging materials to pack up a rifle for safe shipment. Unless you have that stuff just hanging around it's just a pain in the ass... I would rather drive for 4 hours then pack one gun any day of the week.... also I would know that it's not going to get damaged in transit or lost or any of that s***. Also there's no waiting for payment or any of that garbage either I get an envelope of cash when I show up to the dealer -ding fries are done, no bullshit. :)

...I have packaging materials around. And to me, dealing with people constitutes "bullshit." What if you drive two hours one-way for the guy to no-show or tire-kick?

My point is that mailing or FFL-to-FFL transfer is an option for OP that doesn't involve parties crossing state lines. If I was doing this kind of transaction, that's how I'd do it. Everyone has a choice to run their transactions in the way they like.

...I have packaging materials around. And to me, dealing with people constitutes "bullshit." What if you drive two hours one-way for the guy to no-show or tire-kick?

Never had a problem with this. It's pretty easy to smoke out people who aren't serious.

My point is that mailing or FFL-to-FFL transfer is an option for OP that doesn't involve parties crossing state lines. If I was doing this kind of transaction, that's how I'd do it. Everyone has a choice to run their transactions in the way they like.

To me that's a huge waste of resources and you're basically driving away 50% or more of buyers. If they wanted to do what you're proposing they could just get the same off gunbroker with a similar level of hassle. The best part of dealing local is eliminating the faggotry known as shipping. Shipping guns at best on any given day is a necessary evil.

Plus if I'm selling shit it's because I wanted cash /yesterday. / Having guns and payments floating around in the mail wastes more time than driving the gun does. I've sold (and gotten paid) for a lot of guns around here within 48 hrs of posting the ad. That's not happening if shipping crap is involved. Lots of gun shops are open Sundays, too. The same cannot be said for the post office and most shippers.

Shipping guns when you don't have to is not conducive to "landing the plane".

If they wanted to do what you're proposing they could just get the same off gunbroker with a similar level of hassle.

Look at my feedback score on here versus yours and think about where I do most of my transactions ;)

I only live 30 minutes from the Mass border so it's not a big deal. If I lived two hours north up by the lakes or mountains I wouldn't want to bother either. I may want to consider Gunbroker because although it's a preban, it's also an early imported AK and some people are really into collecting AKs. I'm not hard up for cash or anything but am just focusing on funding an exorbitant buy once cry once rifle by selling off a few guns I hardly ever shoot.

Simple laws:
  • NH does require you to use an FFL(any local NH one is fine) to transfer any rifle that is not an SBR.
  • MA residents can purchase rifles(not guns) out of state and bring them into MA as long as they are legal to possess in MA
  • MA residents do require to register the transaction in the EF-10 portal within 7 days of the gun entering MA. Just give the person your info(name and address) to put on the application. That application is what they print and keep for their personal records.
  • Seller information is not required in EF-10 for out-of-state transactions because it infringes on the privacy rights of non-MA citizens. The United States Constitution does not allow states to regulate commerce outside of the said state. What you do in NH is your business, not MA's!
Forget about MA FFL's or anything like that. People overcomplicate things because of fear. Just hand him the rifle after local FFL records it(and a bill of sale with your info if you feel like being nice) and make sure they register the gun within 7 days of the gun entering MA.

Last edited:
Simple laws:
  • NH does not require you to use an FFL to transfer any rifle that is not an SBR.
  • MA residents can purchase rifles(not guns) out of state and bring them into MA as long as they are legal to possess in MA
  • MA residents do require to register the transaction in the EF-10 portal within 7 days of the gun entering MA. Just give the person your info(name and address) to put on the application. That application is what they print and keep for their personal records.
  • Seller information is not required in EF-10 for out-of-state transactions because it infringes on the privacy rights of non-MA citizens. The United States Constitution does not allow states to regulate commerce outside of the said state. What you do in NH is your business, not MA's!
Forget about FFL's or anything like that. People overcomplicate things because of fear. Just hand him the rifle(and a bill of sale with your info if you feel like being nice) and make sure they register the gun within 7 days of the gun entering MA.
Everything you wrote in the bullet points is (I think) literally true, the states may not care, but it's still a violation of federal law if it doesn't go through an FFL.

I've do this a couple times, but with handguns. I'm NH, the seller. The buyer meets me on my side of the line, he takes physical possession of the firearm and we go to an FFL in MA, which does the transfer and eFA10. No issues.

But I would think it's easier with a rifle because a NH FFL can do the transfer as long as the firearm is legal for the buyer in his home state.

Simple laws:
  • NH does not require you to use an FFL to transfer any rifle that is not an SBR.
Forget about FFL's or anything like that. People overcomplicate things because of fear. Just hand him the rifle(and a bill of sale with your info if you feel like being nice) and make sure they register the gun within 7 days of the gun entering MA.
Everything above is well written and correct.

EXCEPT

That in bullet 2. The transfer must be done at a NH FFL.
Neglect that item and you are in violation of federal law.

All firearms purchases done in a state in which you are not a resident, must be done through a FFL.

Keep in mind though that if you have a weekend home in NH, you are considered to be a resident of NH when you are there.
This is not some grey area. Its 100% on the up and up. Google ATF4473 - this is the ATF form you fill out when you buy a gun. Look at the instructions for question 2. It explicitly describes a situation where you have a weekend place in another state.

Note that when the ATF uses the term "unlicensed" they are referring to someone who does NOT have an 01 (dealer) or 07 (manufacturer) FFL.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom