NH resident purchasing a gun in Massachusetts

Federally, you can buy a shotgun in any state from an FFL. If its from another person, you can meet at an FFL in their state or YOUR state for the transfer. Since this is MA, and you need an LTC/FID to purchase, an FFL here wont do a transfer for you, so youd either:

a) have the person ship it to an NH FFL,

or

b) have them drive up to an NH FFL and meet you there to do the 4473.

You cant do a personal transfer between parties of different states of residence.

(Note: I am sure I am missing something, but this should help)

Federally, you can buy a shotgun in any state from an FFL. If its from another person, you can meet at an FFL in their state or YOUR state for the transfer. Since this is MA, and you need an LTC/FID to purchase, an FFL here wont do a transfer for you, so youd either:

a) have the person ship it to an NH FFL,

or

b) have them drive up to an NH FFL and meet you there to do the 4473.

You cant do a personal transfer between parties of different states of residence.

(Note: I am sure I am missing something, but this should help)

Yup but the part you missed is that MGL (Simon's Rock Law) was changed to prohibit any dealer sales of guns or ammo to a NR even if they have a NR LTC. So nobody but MA Residents can purchase anything legally in MA.

Yup but the part you missed is that MGL (Simon's Rock Law) was changed to prohibit any dealer sales of guns or ammo to a NR even if they have a NR LTC. So nobody but MA Residents can purchase anything legally in MA.

damn it, I thought I mentioned that a NR LTC doesnt qualify. Thanks for the catch!!

Wait, how then does a dealer transfer to out of state dealers? Is there an exemption for when an FFL is the transferee?

Wait, how then does a dealer transfer to out of state dealers? Is there an exemption for when an FFL is the transferee?
An out of state FFL is much different than a non-licensee in state being transferred a firearm or ammo.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think MA cares what 07 FFLs send out of state to a receiving 07.

Whoa. That is messed up. Pass all of the background checks and jump through all of the crazy hoops to get a Non-Res LTC in MA and you can't even purchase a firearm here. Gotta love it.

I am sure that we ALL feel safer knowing that those that can acquire a non-res LTC can't legally purchase a firearm here [thinking]

Whoa. That is messed up. Pass all of the background checks and jump through all of the crazy hoops to get a Non-Res LTC in MA and you can't even purchase a firearm here. Gotta love it.

I am sure that we ALL feel safer knowing that those that can acquire a non-res LTC can't legally purchase a firearm here [thinking]

Gotta close that pesky gun show loophole somehow, right? [rolleyes]

Non-residents can't even purchase ammo with a MA NR-LTC-A

Whoa. That is messed up. Pass all of the background checks and jump through all of the crazy hoops to get a Non-Res LTC in MA and you can't even purchase a firearm here. Gotta love it. I am sure that we ALL feel safer knowing that those that can acquire a non-res LTC can't legally purchase a firearm here [thinking]
Worse than that -- outsiders can't even purchase ammo or components with a MA NR-LTC-A. Generally the few states with similarly messed up laws at least have some provisions to allow out of state residents to purchase rifle/shotgun ammo and lead balls for blackpowder.

I'm fine with being disincentivized to give Massachusetts my tax money. On road trips, I'll add 5 gallons at the last stop in CT or RI, just to ensure I have no need for a pit stop south of the NH border.

We (massachusetts) have some politicians we can sell you (NH). Not sure if its legal, but its worth a shot.

Nope, sorry. We already have enough leftist pol's, elected and otherwise, that have slithered in from out of state. We don't need no mo'.

You can't unless you have a Mass license that would allow it. I don't believe there is one or at least one you could actually get. Just buy the shotgun in NH.

Len, you have a cite for that? What about an out of state resident buying, a MA licensed person with the buyer taking physical possession and driving it over the border with the owner and handing it off? (hows that for convoluted?)

Len, you have a cite for that? What about an out of state resident buying, a MA licensed person with the buyer taking physical possession and driving it over the border with the owner and handing it off? (hows that for convoluted?)

just handing it over? Bottom line, if the seller and purchaser are of DIFFERENT states of residence, it must go through an FFL. Period. Handguns can only be transferred at an FFL in the purchasers state of residence, shotguns/long guns can be done at an FFL in EITHER the buyer or purchasers state (provided the person can actually take possession of the time, which in MA< an out of stater could not because the non-res LTC doesn't allow them any rights to purchase or transfers).

just handing it over? Bottom line, if the seller and purchaser are of DIFFERENT states of residence, it must go through an FFL. Period. Handguns can only be transferred at an FFL in the purchasers state of residence, shotguns/long guns can be done at an FFL in EITHER the buyer or purchasers state (provided the person can actually take possession of the time, which in MA< an out of stater could not because the non-res LTC doesn't allow them any rights to purchase or transfers).

Clarification question: Can the long gun/shotgun FFL be in ANY state? For example, buyer is in MA and seller is in ME. They decide it's easiest to meet half way in NH. Both can legally be in possession of a long gun in NH and a MA resident can be transferred a long gun in NH by an FFL. Is that legal or does the law state it must be MA or ME, the resident states of the buyer and seller?

Clarification question: Can the long gun/shotgun FFL be in ANY state? For example, buyer is in MA and seller is in ME. They decide it's easiest to meet half way in NH. Both can legally be in possession of a long gun in NH and a MA resident can be transferred a long gun in NH by an FFL. Is that legal or does the law state it must be MA or ME, the resident states of the buyer and seller?

The MA/NH/ME scenario is Legal assuming the long gun is legal for the buyer to possess in their state of residence.

The MA/NH/ME scenario is Legal assuming the long gun is legal for the buyer to possess in their state of residence.

Cool, makes sense. Thank you

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to noxin again

C. 140 S. 129C
Non resident purchase of guns or ammunition
(q) Deleted by St. 1998, c. 180, § 32.

This section which previously allowed NRs to buy ammo and long guns in MA was deleted in 1998 thanks to Wayne Lo.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wayne_Lo

Back
Top Bottom