NH Red Flag law "again"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zork51

NES Member
I just did a quick search and didn't find a dupe, so I'll take my chances of getting slapped down. Caught this in a daily mailing list I belong to......Has anyone seen this?

Advancing – for Now – in New Hampshire: A New Hampshire Senate committee passed a bill Wednesday to allow police or relatives to petition a court to temporarily remove guns from people who pose a danger to themselves or others. The bill, which was approved by the House on the opening day of the new legislative session, passed the Judiciary Committee 3-2 after a lengthy debate and now moves to the full Senate for a vote. But even if it passes the Democratically-controlled body, it likely will be vetoed by Republican Gov. Chris Sununu. Earlier this year, he indicated he isn’t looking to make changes in gun laws. New Hampshire would join 19 other states and Washington, D.C., in passing so-called “red flag” laws. Supporters argue such laws can reduce shootings, protect domestic violence victims and prevent suicides. Among those who testified in favor of the bill were several people whose relatives and friends struggled with mental illness and killed themselves with guns. They argued their relatives might have been saved had this legislation been in place at the time of their deaths. Rob Leatherbee and his wife, Dr. Margaret Tilton, of Exeter, described how they kept their firearms locked away over concerns about their their 23-year-old son, George, who battled depression and was hospitalized. Still, he managed to buy a handgun and killed himself in 2017. “George’s story illustrates how having lethal means during moments of impulsivity and volatility can result in a fatal outcome,” Leatherbee told the committee, adding that he felt the bill struck the right balance between preservation of individual rights and the necessary protections... Scores of opponents, including several gun rights groups, said the measure was a threat to law-abiding gun owners and failed to provide the necessary due process protections should someone be wrongly accused. They argued the bill violates numerous constitutional protections. “This bill is framed as a public safety bill,” Ethan Jennings, a 23-year-old resident from Laconia, said. “Residents of New Hampshire are freedom loving residents of one of the safest states in the union. This bill does nothing to really protect their safety. It only adds to the danger of armed law enforcement coming to their homes under tips from those who may or may not have the best intentions.” … (While I sympathize with Leatherbee and Tilton for the loss of their son, the fact that they had the advance knowledge to lock up their own guns belies their claim that his suicide was impulsive. Had he not been able to buy a gun of his own, what would have stopped him from hanging himself, driving off a cliff or any other means of ending his life?)
Senate committee in New Hampshire passes red-flag bill
--
Stephen P. Wenger, W2MRA / DMR ID 3104614

Firearm safety - It's a matter
for education, not legislation.

There is nothing reasonable about
"reasonable regulation" of the
right to keep and bear arms.
It's all about eventual abolition
of the right.

http://spw-duf.info

I talked to my Senator today about this. He voted against it in committee and will again when it comes up again. He told me that Sununu will veto it because it will pass the senate but not enough votes to counter the veto. This is why we NEED to get out and vote for conservatives in November folks. We may not be as fortunate when it comes up again and you know it will if the donks continue to hold a majority after November.

Let’s hope we can keep the Democrats from cheating to much at election time.

Emails sent.

I just escaped to here, can’t I enjoy freedom for a while without having to fight for it?
I guess it’s better to protect it than mourn it once lost.

This is why we NEED to get out and vote for conservatives in November folks. We may not be as fortunate when it comes up again and you know it will if the donks continue to hold a majority after November.

This, do not fail like we have in Massachusetts, we (gun owners) really have the numbers to win elections if we all vote. We have failed time and time again over decades in Massachusetts and look where that has left us. I have voted in every single election for I don't know how long. When I ask other gun owners or like minded individuals that I know if they voted (and I do try to motivate them) I get "oh, I forgot", "I had to work late", "I had to watch my kids".......... I just cannot believe the lack of motivation/effort for something that likely takes less than an hour, maybe even less than 20 minutes.

I wish you the best in NH and hope that it will be different, but I have my doubts and believe that in 3-5 years, certainly in 10, NH is going to be more like MA in regard to gun laws (and other things) than many would believe.

I wish you the best in NH and hope that it will be different, but I have my doubts and believe that in 3-5 years, certainly in 10, NH is going to be more like MA in regard to gun laws (and other things) than many would believe.

Is this the ma**h*** rally cry? Is it taught in the public schools? For christ sake man, NH would have to fall a long, long way to even come close to a fraction of the f***ed up nonsense you have on your hands down there.

Is this the ma**h*** rally cry? Is it taught in the public schools? For christ sake man, NH would have to fall a long, long way to even come close to a fraction of the f***ed up nonsense you have on your hands down there.

All it takes is a couple election cycles and complacency on our side, and they will take control of State government. Look at Virginia.

Reality is not on your side. [rofl]

Have you followed what has happened in Virginia in one election cycle? And the largest protest of gun owners probably ever did not sway their minds, they still passed almost all the laws they were proposing (and I am sure they are not done).

All the major cities in NH are or are turning Democrat and these populations far outnumber rural areas.

Have you followed what has happened in Virginia in one election cycle? And the largest protest of gun owners probably ever did not sway their minds, they still passed almost all the laws they were proposing (and I am sure they are not done).

All the major cities in NH are or are turning Democrat and these populations far outnumber rural areas.

You joined here in 2008. Have you not been following what's been going on here? Come on, where's the rally cry!

Mods,

Could we please merge this thread with the existing 11 pages of discussion on HB 687 here

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom