1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

NH Realtor Recommendations

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by SonOfAGun, Oct 23, 2017.

1. SonOfAGun

SonOfAGun NES Member

NES Braintrust, I'm looking to buy a home in Southern NH and could use some help finding a realtor. There are countless search results online, and various home buying resources (Zillow, Trulia, Redfin, etc) all have various realtor accounts with different companies and different reviews, which may or may not be paid for.

Has anyone here had a positive experience with a realty company or individual realtor in NH recently? I'm hoping to find recommendations that are not bought online, but from folks I can trust. NES is nothing if not honest.

Thanks for any insight,
    Aaron

2. caboose84

caboose84 NES Member

When we sold our home in Weare in 2014 we used Bobbi-Jo Plamondon of Coldwell Banker LinWood.

She was good to work with in the sale- we ended up selling it twice due to our buying a campground falling through and delaying things.

For purchase best advice is to look at realtors who live and work in the area you are looking at for buying. Any agent can look in a large area, but it does help to have someone who is familiar with a town, if there are any areas to avoid, local issues that crop up, etc.

3. BBQ.Uncle

BBQ.Uncle NES Member

Depends where in southern New Hampshire. If you're looking in Cheshire county, Monadnock region (Jaffrey, Rindge, Fitzwilliam, Troy, etc.,) I have the person you're looking for.

4. NH_Realtor

NH_Realtor NES Member

Where are you looking? I've only been able to help one NES'r obtain freedom so far but if your looking the eastern portion of the state I'd be glad to help. For a reference contact PreliatorX, he's a member.

1 person likes this.
  5. MSant

MSant NES Member

I used Mark Warden at Porcupine Realty out of Manchester. Best service I have ever had with a realtor. I bought in. salem

6. NHAtHeart

NHAtHeart

This, all day every day. Mark is great I've met him several times and used him as a buyers agent a couple times he's a good guy. Used to be a state rep and very liberty oriented.

7. SonOfAGun

SonOfAGun NES Member

Good point, "Southern NH" is general. I was looking around 93, namely Rockingham County including Pelham, Windham, North Salem, Londonderry, etc. When looking at these areas, the list of realtors is still damn huge.

A bit too west for where I was looking. I should have specified in the OP.

I'm looking to obtain freedom in NH for many reasons, but I am definitely looking in the eastern portion. I'll contact PreliatorX, thank you for the heads up.

Two recommendations for the same person can't be a fluke. I'll do some research and contact him.

Thank you all for your input, I appreciate the help!

8. PreliatorX

PreliatorX NES Member

I highly, highly recommend NH Realtor, can't say enough good things about the guy. My wife and I chose NH Realtor after a really bad experience with another realtor and couldn't believe the night and day experience through the process. There is a major difference between a great and an average realtor and I would and will strongly recommend him to anyone looking in the area.

He knows the market very well and was extremely responsive and proactive throughout our search. He was very patient and flexible with us, I don't even remember how many homes we saw, it was a lot...(we had a really specific set of needs in mind) his positive attitude kept our spirits high through all the ups and downs of the hunt. He knows homes too and was an excellent additional set of eyes. He got us our perfect home through fantastic instinct and advice when there were multiple other interested parties whose realtors failed in closing the deal for them.

If you have any other questions about him (or moving to the area) shoot me a PM.

Edit: I bought in Brentwood

Last edited: Oct 24, 2017
    1 person likes this.
  9. CoastieRon

CoastieRon NES Member

10. VTski4x4

VTski4x4 NES Member

Maria Ward - Exit Realty. I've worked with her many times on the mortgage side of the business, and she has never failed to help her customers find exactly what they are looking for.

11. SonOfAGun

SonOfAGun NES Member

I was going to reach out this morning for a review, thanks for posting here instead. I might PM you some more specific questions as they pop up.

I appreciate the feedback. NH_Realtor, let's chat.

1 person likes this.
  12. SonOfAGun

SonOfAGun NES Member

Thank you both for the recommendations. I have a short list of realtors to interview, I need to see which are best suited for the area I'm looking in and then take it from there.

13. SonOfAGun

SonOfAGun NES Member

Raising this thread for two reasons.

1) I found a Buyers Agent thanks to the responses in this thread, and am confident that we'll work great together. So thank you everyone for the responses, I appreciate the help.

2) I need more help. I'm ready to move forward with financials, but there are so many banks and lenders that I want the abstraction offered by dealing with a Mortgage Broker (and to avoid having my credit run multiple times while I shop for rates and pre-approvals). I'm in the same situation as above where there are simply too many, and I can't tell who is buying their reviews and who is genuinely recommended.

Does the NES braintrust have recommendations for Mortgage Brokers who serve NH (and are located in MA or NH)?

14. Kevin_NH

Kevin_NH NES Member

Go ahead and shop around, including out-of-state Mortgage Brokers

Don't sweat that part -- You can shop around for a mortgage and it will not hurt your credit. Within a 45-day window, multiple credit checks from mortgage lenders are recorded on your credit report as a single "hard pull".

I used an out-of-state Mortgage Broker with no physical presence in New England; they had to use contractors to find comps, and subbed out the closing to a local title company. From the experience, I'd say don't rule out using a remote broker if they can offer you a great rate, but recognize that it'll slow down the overall process by a few days.

15. SonOfAGun

SonOfAGun NES Member

Thanks for the information.

The main objective was to stay away from online-only lenders like Quicken, who have rave reviews if all paper work follows the happy-path, and have reviews of peoples' ruined financials (credit, debt from lawyers, etc) if it doesn't, as they appear to hire untrained folks who are capable of only following a flow chart.

Having an in-person presence (with recommendations) means that there will be someone I can talk to if I have questions or things go awry for any reason. To me this meant local, but I'm not opposed to broadening my range if there will still be a person I can talk to on the phone who is responsible for helping me through this. As a first time buyer, I might need some hand holding, and despite all my research, I'll definitely still have questions.

Would you mind PMing me the company you used? I'll add it to my to-research list.

16. snax

snax NES Member

17. SonOfAGun

SonOfAGun NES Member

Thank you for the PM!

18. SonOfAGun

SonOfAGun NES Member

I wanted to update this thread with some good news. Yesterday, I closed on a house in Merrimack, NH.

Based on the recommendations here I met with @NH_Realtor (I'm not sure if using his real name is helpful or doxxing, so I'll wait for him to chime in) on October 28th, 2017. We had a coffee and talked for a few hours about motorcycles, firearms, and real estate. I explained that I wasn't going to be actively searching until the Spring, but wanted my bases covered. I had no idea what to look for in a realtor, but after talking with @NH_Realtor I was sure he was the one that I wanted to work with.

We checked in with each other over the course of a few months until I was ready. The communication here was fantastic: I was never left thinking that come Spring, I'd be looking by myself or shopping around for another Buyer's Agent.

The search itself was pretty straight forward. We went to a couple of houses and he had a keen eye for details (fresh paint on ceiling, what are the candles covering up, are those holes supposed to be there?). Having that feedback was incredibly helpful, but given my limited experience here I'm sure that most other real estate professionals tend to look for the same things and would have arrived at similar conclusions. This was not what set him apart from anyone else. That came later.

Once we found the house that we knew we wanted, @NH_Realtor explained the process in incredible detail. Once the offer was submitted and accepted, all hell broke loose. This is an incomplete list of things that went wrong (some I can't say):
    • The bank, lawyer, and appraiser were, for a long time, unable to contact the sellers for scheduling inspections and appraisals
    • The original appraiser was diagnosed with a severe medical condition and understandably withdrew himself, causing a lapsed financing contingency essentially putting my deposit in limbo
    • The seller was almost aggressively unwilling to work with me to push the closing and contingencies a mere few days
    • The original appraiser, having withdrawn himself, told the bank that it's a bad buy, not worth the asking price, they wouldn't recommend moving forward
    • The bank struggled to schedule a new appraiser, calling 20+ companies that didn't want to touch it
    • The seller refused to work with my bank and lawyers, even going so far as to tell the lawyer that they were keeping my deposits regardless of the outcome
    • A slew of failed attempts to be reasonable and act in good faith, while the seller put me through a giant, unethical, illegal, limbo
    What set him apart was the way he handled each shitty situation listed above. I could call @NH_Realtor at all hours of the day or night - and trust me, I did. He took a personal interest in helping me and when I was in any number of horrible situations I would call to find out that he not only outmatched my anger level, but already had a list of corrective actions in place. He ensured that myself, my money, and my sanity were all well protected, and there was recourse available if needed.

I don't trust people as a rule. I can trust people's intentions in a mutually beneficial situation. But @NH_Realtor, as a Buyer's Agent, as a person, and as a friend, I trust wholeheartedly. I'd recommend him to anyone looking to buy real estate in NH. In the event a house purchase goes smoothly, any reputable agent will likely get the same results. In the event that a house purchase does is anything less than smooth, you want @NH_Realtor in your corner.

TL;DR - I had a shitty house buying experience, but the hard work and dedication from @NH_Realtor made my dream house come true. I would highly recommend him to anyone looking for real estate in NH, or as someone to grab a beer with.

19. mwalsh9152

mwalsh9152

Ugh, it sounds like you bought a house from the people I bought from 2 years ago. I know that pain all too well. Its huge having an agent in your corner helping talk you down off the ledge!

Now the suffering is over....enjoy the dream home!

20. SonOfAGun

SonOfAGun NES Member

Honestly, could very well have been the same people. They have sold a lot of houses in the area, and I'm sure I'm not the first person they've treated like this.

And thank you! Can't wait to move in a few weeks.

21. PreliatorX

PreliatorX NES Member

Awesome, congrats on the new home and had a great experience with @NH_Realtor, I knew you would!

22. SonOfAGun

SonOfAGun NES Member

Thanks man! I truly appreciate the recommendation. Good looking out!

23. Len-2A Training

Len-2A Training Instructor Instructor

I am currently working with @NH_Realtor in our house search. So far we haven't seen what we'd be willing to buy, but he's been extremely responsive to any questions that we've had.

24. NH_Realtor

NH_Realtor NES Member

Thank you @SonOfAGun for the kind words, and welcome to freedom! As I told you, it infuriates me the way the other side handled the transaction and what any reasonable person would consider to be a small inconvenience (appraiser health issue at the 11th hour) that could have been easily overcome with a simple extension. The end game is what matters though, getting you the house that you want (and free state toys).

To be honest I thought they were just being shitty to me which I expect out of most of agents, so I was actually really surprised when you told me they were being shitty to the title attorney and people at the bank. Guess shitty people are just shitty.

@PreliatorX, thanks for the recommend as well! Hope all is well over at your spot, we gotta get together soon!

@Len-2A Training - We'll find you the right house. Market's been crazy but it's out there!

If any liberty minded freedom seeking people are looking in NH or even ME I'm more than happy to help out or even advise from afar if you are already working with someone. This forum has done alot for me so I'll do whatever I can to help out the members here.

If you want to bring MA oppressiveness to NH I'm not your guy.

PreliatorX likes this.
  25. SonOfAGun

SonOfAGun NES Member

I always saw the location you set about moving to NH, glad you are able to! If it is nearby, I'd love to grab a beer sometime and put a face to the name that's helped so many on NES.

The house I bought was the only one I saw that I liked and met my criteria. The search result list always narrowed down to one. The day before closing I did another search to see if anything else popped up in the meantime - nothing. Takes a lot of waiting, I suppose, to find the one that speaks to you. You

26. SonOfAGun

SonOfAGun NES Member

The review I left on another site told me it wouldn't publish because of the "vulgarities" - I don't think I could have properly expressed my thoughts without them..

27. Len-2A Training

Len-2A Training Instructor Instructor

Well when we do move North, I will put together a local monthly dinner just like I now do at John Harvard's in Framingham. I'm sure that NES has more than a few members in SE NH.

I have no required timetable and will search until we find what we both like.

Sorry that you both had to go thru such BS to get your house. We had a horrid experience back in the early 1970s when we tried to buy a house in CT. The owners and the listing agency owner screwed the pooch so badly on that one that we got our deposit back after running away from it and went out to dinner to celebrate losing the house.