• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Nh police urge residents not to confront

Police are not obligated to help you or even show up. If I can assist my neighbor or prevent damage or theft of his property ,I will.

I don't know - it's a good topic to debate. If you were sure it was a B&E with nobody in the building, how willing would you be to put your life on the line to prevent that? Is that a good tradeoff? Frankly I would not want to ask my neighbors to do that for my stuff. It's just stuff.

I would be a lot more fired up about this article if they were telling people to not step in and save other people in danger.

What do others think about this?

It's stuff that he bought with hard earned money. Yeah, I would risk it for him and he would for me. My neighbor is an extension of my family if you wronged him, you wronged me.

I took the Concealed Carry class at GOAL a couple of years back - the teacher stressed that we should only protect ourselves and our loved ones. You never know all the details behind what you're seeing, and it could turn around and bite you on the butt (especially bad here in MA).

Not saying I agree with that, but that's what GOAL taught us.

Last edited:
I took the Concealed Carry class at GOAL a couple of years back - the teacher stressed that we should only protect ourselves and our loved ones. You never know all the details behind what you're seeing, and it could turn around and bite you on the butt (especially bad here in MA).

I can see why this might be true, but it also begs the question: what if they (the neighbors, et al.) were just victims? Does the PD know that before they come into the fray? It seems like neighbor helping neighbor is the right thing to do. It's what I would do.

Maybe not going in with guns blazing, but being aware of your surroundings and helping a neighbor out ought to be the right thing to do, no matter what.

In cases of extreme danger, do what you need to do, and let God sort it out. Protect your family, friends and neighbors.

Hopefully you never need it, but you'll be glad when your neighbors do the same for you.

A few years ago my condo was broken into. The neighbor saw the kids leaving my yard and did nothing. The next week they burglarized his house, and stole a lot more than they did from me.

It depends upon the situation, how close you are to it, the potential danger to others, and probably a few other things that escape my mind at the moment.

As someone else has said, if you can plainly see that someone is in danger, then yes, help. But I would avoid doing anything which can't be taken back unless you are absolutely sure of what is going on.

MA doesn't allow you to use force to protect your own property, never mind someone else's property. Some states are different, but what Jon Green taught you was correct for MA.

There is a difference between "doing nothing" and calling the police about what you saw. Confronting thieves with a firearm in MA will get you a jail sentence and loss of all right to self-protection for life . . . while the thief will get probation.

I think this in NH not MA and criminals should have to think twice about who they will encounter.

Right. I try to watch the WMUR news at 11:00. I can't believe some of the store robberies that I hear, maybe once or twice a week, of a store getting knocked over. Talk about taking your life into your hands. Travel 30 minutes south and you probably have an unarmed, fully-compliant store owner.

All my neighbors are moonbats, F their stuff. I'd stay out of it. Back in my old hometown, there'd be hell to pay, whole neighborhood would show locked and loaded. 'Murica

This is not an infrequent topic here on NES. Warren vs DC and other cases have firmly established that the police do not have the responsibility to respond to individual criminal acts and their job is to protect society at large. Having said that there is a fine line between MYOB and intervention. Even in a situation where there is an act of violence being witnessed between several people, sometimes it's hard to tell who the perp is and who the victim is. See a woman getting smacked around, go after the guy smacking her and the next thing you know she is beating up on you for attacking her boyfriend, husband etc. Some states do allow the use of deadly force to protect property.(Mass does not) I never felt that anyone's life was worth a television set.

Most of us deplore the nanny state and do-gooders who want to interfere with our lives, yet there seems to be a segment of pistol packers out there who who would rush in where angels fear to tread. Your first responsibility is to protect yourself and your loved ones. Not everyone chooses to be a victim but if you look like food you will be eaten. This is why we take reasonable precautions not to become victims.

There is also the old common law principle of the hue and cry which seems to have gone by the wayside in both the US and the UK where the people have lost the right (under the law) of self defense.

Now it seems like I am shifting gears a bit but for a NH PD to come out on a NH newspaper and state "let the nice police protect you, we know best, disturbs me very much. I have taken a fair share of criticism when I suggest that NH is starting to go moonbat and I'm told it will never happen and it is restricted to southern NH. Well it is like cancer cells. There were a few in the body of Mass once, then in 1968 the cancer got more aggressive, now the whole body is infected excepted for a few places mainly in western mass. It's taken us 50 years almost, but if it can happen here, it can happen in the Granite State and I fear the infection is spreading and becoming more virulent.

Last edited:
Police have the training, the equipment and, quite frankly, the backup to handle those situations."
I agree on the back up part. But I'd bet dollars to donuts that some of the people on here are better equiped, and most definitly better trained than the cops.
"If the guy was armed with a rifle or a pistol, things might have turned out a little different, but I would feel sorry for him. I had a 12-gauge, double-barrel sawed-off shotgun - and I wouldn't have missed."
Yeah, pal. You try that at 25 yards and let me know how that works out for you, if the other guy has a rifle. And your "sawed off" shotgun is still a 18.5" barrel, which is just a bubba'ed tactical barrel length. Some people's children...

I agree on the back up part. But I'd bet dollars to donuts that some of the people on here are better equiped, and most definitly better trained than the cops.

Yeah, pal. You try that at 25 yards and let me know how that works out for you, if the other guy has a rifle. And your "sawed off" shotgun is still a 18.5" barrel, which is just a bubba'ed tactical barrel length. Some people's children...

Mon ami,

You are contradicting the well established tactics doctrine of the Honorable Joseph Biden, Vice President of the United States. The double barrel shotgun is the ne plus ultra of all tactical weaponry...don't you know? [rofl]

That was indeed some expert advice. I apologise for speakin without first thinking of shotgun Joe's instructions. And if I read the article correctly, there were 3 guys there (one tryin to get in, 2 in the parking lot), which makes Biden's advice to use a double barreled shotgun even more precious. Thanks, you just reminded me that I still have'nt purchased one of these gems of tactical instruments.

A well written article. Anyone that doesn't approach a suspected criminal with "caution" should just stay in their house with the doors locked. In most states you can't gun down someone for theft and even less likely, suspicious behaviour, which would explain GOAL's instructions. But that doesn't mean you can get involved.

to me getting involved is like drawing a line in the sand of what is acceptable behaviour in society

First they came for

“First they came…” is a famous statement attributed to pastor Martin Niemöller (1892–1984) about the inactivity of German intellectuals following the Nazi rise to power and the purging of their chosen targets, group after group.

You know I think it's funny. Huge post a little while ago about a lady who was a nurse and when an old lady was dying of a heart attack they lady didn't help because of policy. The lady of course died.

So I'm just taking notes in case anyone decides to have a problem in life and people ask me why I'm not helping. I'm going to say policy and laws.

Liberals always say, "we're all in this" and Conservatives say, "worry about yourself", yet it's the liberals who are writing laws that separate us.

Back
Top Bottom