NH Opens 1000+ Miles Of New Interconnected ATV Trails 6/15

Zappa

Road Warrior
NES Member
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Is there a map that shows what trails are open to dirt bikes? We ride trails around Sunapee and it’s quite hit or miss.

When we stayed in Abbott, Maine, the trail markings were much clearer.
Not that I know of, the maps seem pretty vague about this.
Many of them leave you guessing as to which trails are only open during snowmobile season too, so you don't know for sure until you actually get out on the trails and see the signage. We ran into that situation last week on the trail to Dixville, the map showed a connecting trail that turned off and went West towards Colebrook, but when we got to the junction, the signage showed the trail was closed to bikes and ATV's.
The trails we saw in Western Maine last Saturday seemed better marked than the ones in NH, but they were mostly posted as being closed to motorcycles.

NH_Realtor

NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a map that shows what trails are open to dirt bikes? We ride trails around Sunapee and it’s quite hit or miss.

When we stayed in Abbott, Maine, the trail markings were much clearer.
https://www.nhstateparks.org/getmed...43-1dac37aa1b2b/ATV-Trail-Bike_Trails-Map.pdf

The one's marked TB. There aren't a ton unfortunately, seems like alot of landowners aren't friendly to the bikes but are cool with atv's.

ETA - looks like there's at least a couple over by you. I don't know if there's any maps of class 6 roads, but I used to ride those all the time over in Sanbornton.

Last edited:

GomerPile

NES Member
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
That trail can be tricky in places with steep dropoffs on one side. I drive like a grandma on those trails...I see no reason to die while riding.

DRT, Dead Right There, lol.
That's too bad. The News reported he was an experienced rider and was wearing a helmet. Shit, he was my age, very sad.

xjma99

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do they allow Rokons on trails during winter?
If you had tracks, some trails would allow, with dependent.

There are great trails in south central and western NH too, ask your club. I can ride for hours out my back door. In the winter, people not familiar with the snowmobile trails often end up in my back yard when they don’t see the signs. No big deal.

Zappa

Road Warrior
NES Member
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
For all you ATV/UTV/Snowmobile/OHRV riders in New Hampshire, as of 9/10/19, you must have at least one rear view mirror on your machine.
I heard about this in August and bought a set with handlebar mounts, they were only $20 on fleaBay.

NHOHVA

All OHRVs shall have at least one mirror showing the area to the rear of the OHRV. This shall not apply to trail bikes. (Effective September 10, 2019**)

xjma99

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For all you ATV/UTV/Snowmobile/OHRV riders in New Hampshire, as of 9/10/19, you must have at least one rear view mirror on your machine.
I heard about this in August and bought a set with handlebar mounts, they were only $20 on fleaBay.

NHOHVA
This is news to me. They should publicize it more!!! I have always wanted one on all my machines but never pulled the trigger. The side by has a rear view but the windshield flexes so much it’s almost useless. Rear views are a good idea but making it mandatory is very un-American.

Zappa

Road Warrior
NES Member
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
I always thought it was a good idea too, but never got around to it before.
There were several times when I've been startled by people coming up behind me really fast on the trails.
The only real problem is that I have to remove the mirror when I put the cover on the machine.

xjma99

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always thought it was a good idea too, but never got around to it before.
There were several times when I've been startled by people coming up behind me really fast on the trails.
The only real problem is that I have to remove the mirror when I put the cover on the machine.
I have an older Yamaha that has a threaded brake perch....I think that all used to growing up, you can just screw one in. Otherwise clamp on style that you can loosen and fold down.

Top Bottom