1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

NH Opens 1000+ Miles Of New Interconnected ATV Trails 6/15

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Zappa, Jun 15, 2013.

1. JayMcB

JayMcB NES Member

This was an intended consequence of the last batch of laws about them

2. GM-GUY

GM-GUY NES Member

I’m still spending more than last year, but less than without the membership.

It’s great riding trails and have just started riding the long outside the park trails like Success Pond Trail. I’m looking forward to this year as my daughter now has a 570 ACE to come along on the big trails.

3. GM-GUY

GM-GUY NES Member

Trying some new trails this year and need some intel.

I'm going to start in Lancaster, NH and head north and up and around the big loop. It says parking is at the intersection of Rte 3 and Summer Street in Coos Junction. I don't see anything on Google Maps, anyone know if the parking area is easy to find? Marked? Just running the two Sportsman 500's (my son & I) - my daughter and wife are at a Girl Scout function for the weekend. I'm driving up early on Saturday and coming home at the end of the day.

*********. ON EDIT. *********

Lancaster is isolated from the system now.

Page Hill Road is closed permanently to OHRVs so I need to trailer up Rte 3 a bit further to Groveton or the Truck Stop in Stratford to avoid a bunch of road driving.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
  4. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA NES Member

Whatever you do. WHATEVER you do. . . . . . . . . . . . . . don't be on next seasons North Woods Law. ;)

rudiewhitebwoy likes this.
  5. Zappa

Zappa Road Warrior NES Member

I had heard recently that some large sections of the trail system had been closed, but I didn't know any of the specifics.
    However, I was told it was because a few land owners got pissed about some douchebags repeatedly riding off the trails and ripping up their fields. All it takes is a few jerks to ruin it for everyone. This is why the MT. Washington Auto Road is no longer open for ATV's except on a few special event days.

6. wilson911

wilson911

Been stopped in Pisgah State Park when they had the camera crew. They just checked for reg and sent us on our way. I asked if they wanted me take off so they could chase me and get some good footage. The camera guys actually thought about it for a second...

PaulR, JayMcB, Admin and 1 other person like this.
  7. enbloc

enbloc NES Life Member NES Member

[​IMG]

8. xtry51

xtry51

NH ATV registration is another thing that needs to be repealed. The requirement to join a club or be fined is direct extortion.

Admin likes this.
  9. PatMcD

PatMcD NES Member

I'm not knowledgeable in the particulars of the NH registration guidelines, but it's the clubs that create and maintain the trails. It's one way of encouraging participation in the clubs.

10. Asaltweapon

Asaltweapon NES Member

Who will do the work if it's not the clubs?

I'm always a member of at least two snomo clubs and contribute a fair amount of extra money to them both.

11. atmay

atmay NES Member

The idea is that people will contribute of their own volition.

No need to get the law involved.

12. GM-GUY

GM-GUY NES Member

Correct, I have been in contact via Facebook with a couple clubs. The whole western side is messed up, you need to go to at least Colebrook before you can get anywhere else.

My son and I have changed plans and are heading out of Gorham Success Pond Trail, then up to the far northern reaches from there. It looks like some stuff in the west is waiting for final approval/signatures which will solve a bunch of issues.

13. Asaltweapon

Asaltweapon NES Member

Good luck with that. Most people suck is the truth. A snomo trail was shut down this past winter after riders completely ignored signs thru an active log yard. The morons thought it would be cool to ride up and over the piles of logs that were waiting to be hauled out. In the end the local cops and the MWS posted a watch of the closed trail.

14. xtry51

xtry51

I have to join a club, even though I don't ride on any club trails. That's ridiculous. if there are PRIVATE clubs that want to charge to use their land, that's fine. I shouldn't have to pay a group extortion money to drive my side by and quad down class 6 roads that a lot of the time I maintain myself with a chainsaw.

The law is pure extortion.

SERE and Admin like this.
  15. KBCraig

KBCraig NES Member

Page Hill Road is a public road, and the town of Northumberland closed it. There were complaints about speeding, but mostly residents just didn't like hearing ATVs, and they complained about dust (as if ATVs create any more dust or noise than other vehicles).

When Northumberland originally opened Page Hill Road, it was with the understanding that it was temporary, and the clubs would create off-road trails by agreement with property owners. For whatever reason, that didn't happen, and the road is now closed.

A lot of the NIMBYism isn't about people's own back yards; it's about adjacent public or private lands that allow ATV trails. People have this idea that they should be able to control land that they don't own, so they raise hell and try to get the laws changed.

16. Admin

Admin Staff Member Administrator Moderator NES Member

+1

The law is a joke. Its just another way to fleece the masses. Like xtry51 I ride all class 6 roads and keep them open with our group, now we all have to pay more because a bunch of d-bags ruin it for everyone.

17. KBCraig

KBCraig NES Member

No you don't. You only have to present proof of membership if you want to qualify for the member rate.

Club membership dues vary, but they're usually about the same price as one discount; family memberships give a savings on multiple registrations.

Registration Fees | eRegulations

18. xtry51

xtry51

If you don't join a club, the state surcharges you on EACH offroad vehicle you have and that fee for EACH is more than a membership.

The clubs used government power to fine as a way to extort money for their own benefit.

Admin likes this.
  19. Admin

Admin Staff Member Administrator Moderator NES Member

[rofl][rofl][rofl]

20. marleythefish

marleythefish NES Member

whelp. that's it need a side by side and a trailer now lol. wonder what itll look like?
    Whenever we go overland we carry saws to maintain the roads and we pick up trash when we find it, its kind of an unwritten rule.

Admin likes this.
  21. MaverickNH

MaverickNH NES Member

I hike and snowshoe and co-exist fairly well with the mechanized recreation crowd. My biggest issue is that hiking trail maps rarely list the maze of snowmobile and ATV trails that crisscross all over. One has to be very attentive and good with map and compass to keep on trail while hiking in some places where junctions are unmarked, especially where hiking trails follow Class 5 "roads".

22. GomerPile

GomerPile

As a person who has been involved in OHRV clubs let me point out some things:

1) Clubs are not some evil group of people trying to extort money. The are generally understaffed and underfunded and still manage to maintain thousands of miles of trail each year. Winter use trails and summer use trails are generally different trails and clubs (although there is some trail overlap).

2) If you are riding on private land you don’t need to register.

3) If you ride class VI road without a club you are at the mercy of your local town. Someday a douchebag will close roads that matter to you. You really should start a club so you can get money to maintain your trails and keep them open.

4) If you are riding on “clubless” trails you ARE getting hosed for $30 but it goes DIRECTLY to the club. The club is a hard working group of guys that are building a new industry for NH. The buzz about the RTW system has gone national 2019 RIDE GUIDE | Dirt Wheels Magazine and it’s because a bunch of clubs worked hard to build the system we have. An economic impact study will be done soon and its going to show BILLIONS added to the NH economy....that 9% rooms tax directly impacts your local tax bill. Are you saving more than $30 because of OHRV’s....I don’t know...its only $30 and its being well spent.

My point is the $30 is money well spent even if you don’t have a local club. I understand the distaste of being forced to join. However, if not forced by law people would not join. You will be shocked to learn that this is something that MA has done well. Snowmobile clubs in MA sell trail passes to any machine that is registered. So you register for $22 per year and then buy a $50 ($70 after Dec 15) trail pass from a local dealer or store and the trail pass money goes directly to the clubs. The downside is that no one buys trail passes until the day of the first bus snow....clubs have no money unless it snows. My statement that people will not voluntarily join clubs is backed up by real world experience!

23. atmay

atmay NES Member

Out of curiosity, what are your thoughts on the Affordable Care Act?

xtry51 likes this.
  24. Racenet

Racenet NES Member

Make sure you are 100% clear on this statement when it is made. As such, you do not need to register your machine as long as it is used on YOUR property. Once the machine is taken off your property to be used, it requires registration. So, you can't simply take it, unregistered, to your buddies back 40 and ride it around. That isn't your property. Quite a few people have gotten tangled up with that.

GomerPile likes this.
  25. PatMcD

PatMcD NES Member

Again, I don't know the ins and outs of the NH atv situation, but ALL trails are within the "jurisdiction" of one club or another. I have no idea what a "class 6 road" is, but I'm guessing that it's just a general dirt road. Existing roads may or may not be a large part of a certain trail system, which impacts the club's maintenance budget.
    It all comes down to dollars and cents: it's going to take X amount of dollars to create and maintain a trail system no matter how you slice it. A registration is how is paid for, and that money trickles down to the clubs who put that money to work.

26. xtry51

xtry51

There is no club maintaining the trails near me. The state is extorting money from me. I don't want to join a club. I'm a capable human being.

27. Racenet

Racenet NES Member

Which trails are you talking about?

28. rudiewhitebwoy

rudiewhitebwoy NES Life Member NES Member

I just ride on my own land. I seem to spend a lot more time brush hogging trails than riding my ATV.

JayMcB likes this.
  29. PatMcD

PatMcD NES Member

Are the "trails" you are riding your rig on, designated atv trails? If so, a local club, or maybe the state has responsibility for that "trail". Any trail in a system has a certain amount of maintenance, signage, land owner relations, etc that gets done. That all takes time and money.
    Now, if the"trail" you are riding on is not a designated atv trail, I believe you need written permission to be there, on your person (at least that's how it is in Maine).

P.S. I'm against these "you must join a club" rules mandated by the state. The clubs need manpower more than money.

30. Coda

Coda NES Member

Out here in the western MA hills there are still some great places to ride legally. But it is just like the good target shooting places in the woods, people keep them secret.

I can ride to the end of the dirt road I live on, continue to ride the un-maintained public ways, logging roads/fire roads all day long. The state cops know I am legal and just wave when they see me.