1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

NH Opens 1000+ Miles Of New Interconnected ATV Trails 6/15

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Zappa, Jun 15, 2013.

1. AntiHippie

AntiHippie

My cousin held (might still to this day, don't know) some position in one of those snowmobile clubs in Maine where he did the grooming and maintenance on a lot of trails. Had a badass 'utility snowmobile', I guess it would be called, and all kinds of drags and grader type things for maintaining the trails, and owned some VERY nice sleds himself. Always loved going up there in the winter - even at 12 years old or so, he'd have no hesitation at all to fire up his top of the line, fast as hell and too powerful for a 12 year old from MA, snowmobile and let me go off riding wherever, whenever. Seemed you could get anywhere you needed to go up there on a snowmobile in the winter.

2. Spanz

Spanz NES Member

I want in on this. What is a good, lower cost, atv to buy for me (250lb guys) and what one for the wife?

3. Hiltonizer

Hiltonizer Banned

Define lower cost? I recently picked up a 2007 Brute Force 750 and that will stand up on me if I put my thumb in it... and i'm well over 3 bills. Low mileage only cost me 3k

4. Zappa

Zappa Road Warrior NES Member

5. SpaceCritter

SpaceCritter NES Member

6. Zappa

7. Zappa

I'm back from vacationing in the North country.
    Went up to Jericho State Park in Berlin with the ATV's.

Jericho ATV Festival | Its all About the Mud

This place is awesome!
    We rode over 50 miles on Saturday, which is nearly a full tank of gas on my machine, and we didn't even ride half the trails.

Photos and video links to be added soon.

8. XTAV750

XTAV750

My wife and I just rode through the desert in AZ on atvs last week. It was awesome. I'd love to get a couple up here.

9. Zappa

I shot this clip of some guys playing in a pond.
    The red machine has some serious suspension mods along with the snorkles for deep water.

[video=youtube_share;EZ7h1UHm-98]http://youtu.be/EZ7h1UHm-98[/video]

10. GomerPile

GomerPile

Dumb question....are the ATV trails marked like sled trails....."stay on trail or stay home"?

Is that pond a marked trail or is riding in it going to piss of the land owner?

11. Zappa

No, not really, people pretty much ride anywhere they want, but they stay mostly on the trails.

From the looks of it, I'd say that pond gets a lot of traffic through it.
    There were a lot of cops and NHF&G people riding around there too, for the most part everyone behaved themselves.

Here are a few pics from last Saturday.
    This first one was on top of Sugar Mountain at 2100 feet elevation looking West:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  12. JayMcB

JayMcB NES Member

the marked trails in the southern part of the state do say that, but they share trails with sleds

13. KBCraig

KBCraig NES Member

I love what the trails are doing for tourism and travel up north.

I feckin' hate four-wheelers.

I'd much rather ride a dirt bike, and I'm looking at a few dual sports for those sections of trail where they're allowed.

I'm also looking at a used Rokon, because even though it's just a two-wheeler, the low tire pressure means it can go on ATV trails.

14. partyboy424

partyboy424

Just clarifying this since Zappa also pointed out that you have to register in NH and Maine to ride on state land. However, what this poster was pointing out is that you have to register your ATV's in MA just for ownership. So, even if you buy the ATV at MTR in RI, pay MA sales tax and only ride it in Maine once a year and garage it at your house the rest of the time, but don't register it in MA. You're breaking the law, and can get slapped with a $250 fine. Originally heard this from some overzealous EPA cops in Charlton, decided to not call bullshit and look it up.. they were ****ing right. I immediately sold my ATV, not giving this state a god damn penny for a vehicle I can't even ride in MA unless I take a drive that's just as long as it takes to get to better riding in the free states.

15. Vermonster

Vermonster NES Member

Riding on private property requires written landowner permission unless the trail is marked open for OHRV use; trails can be restricted by type of OHRV--ATV or 2-wheel. Also, all two-wheeled require OHRV registration if riding off a public way, even if you are street legal (registered/plated).

Riding in water in NH can get very expensive:
    "WETLAND WARNING
    Riding in wetlands is against the law, and
    violators can be fined up to $10,000 and may
    be required to restore damages that result.
    Pursuant to RSAs 482-A and 485-A"

16. M1911

M1911 Moderator NES Member

Does NH have a no-loaded weapons on offroad vehicles law? That is, is it illegal to carry concealed on an ATV even if you have a NH pistol & revolver license?

17. bigred460

bigred460 NES Life Member NES Member

In our area it's different, most of our beloved single track is gone, it's now rutted up eroded double-track superhighways. Fortunately the state forest that my club helps maintain now restricts motorized use to street plated bikes, no ATV's allowed; it's helped reduce our trail maintenance efforts, hopefully some day we will be able to establish some single track again.

18. Vermonster

Vermonster NES Member

OHRV rules same as car or truck:

NH Pistol & Revolver license: OK to carry loaded pistol or revolver; never long arm

No license: all firearms must be unloaded--and although I don't think there is case law, to be safe "unloaded" should probably be loaded magazine not in weapon (that is, not just no round in chamber)

Laws are in place primarily to prevent taking deer out of season or at night.

19. KBCraig

KBCraig NES Member

That's pretty much my experience. Two wheelers want to ride the trails; four wheelers intentionally look for (or create) dirt and mud to tear sh*t up.

You never see motorcycles off in the pond churning up the bottom just to see if they can do it without getting stuck (or intentionally getting stuck just to use the winch).

20. bigred460

bigred460 NES Life Member NES Member

That was a big reason why Savoy State Forest got shut down to OHV'ers. Some quad guys took a video of themselves ripping us some wetlands and then posted it online. Someone in DCR recognized the area, and that was the end of that.

21. Zappa

My buddy and I went back up to Berlin on Saturday, this time we rode the Success Trail from Berlin to Success Pond and back.
    The round trip was 37 miles.
    The weather was perfect and there weren't many people out on the trail, we saw maybe 2 dozen other riders all day.
    We came very close to the Maine border, but didn't cross over.
    There were signs warning you that a Maine registration decal was needed to ride there.
    We met two other guys that said they've been riding the trails every weekend all season, they were intent on covering the whole 1000 miles. I wish I had that kind of time to go play.

22. Zappa

Update:

http://www.unionleader.com/article/20140608/NEWHAMPSHIRE03/140609063

23. KBCraig

KBCraig NES Member

However, dirt bike riders seldom set out to intentionally try to tear stuff up, get stuck, etc.; the four-wheelers often do.

Just a generalization, of course, but rooted in truth.

- - - Updated - - -

Actually there is case law, and that's exactly what it says: that a firearm is unloaded if there is no ammunition in it. In the case at hand, it was a handgun in a car, where the magazine was out and there was no chambered round.

I'll have to look for the cite later, unless someone has it handy.

24. Vermonster

Vermonster NES Member

My comment was originally made in July 2013 and was made with the knowledge that at least one person had been charged for having a loaded magazine *beside* an unloaded pistol in a vehicle.

In August 2013 the NH Supreme Court released the decision in that case (State v Dorr) and found for the defendant. More on the case from Eugene Volokh: http://www.volokh.com/2013/08/09/loaded-means-loaded/

Loaded magazine next to unloaded pistol in NH is OK even if you don't possess a P&R.

25. Wendell

Wendell NES Member

Maybe that helps explain the popularity of self-storage units (in New Hampshire).

drgelinas likes this.
  26. Zappa

NH recently jacked-up the OHRV registration fees.
    It'll now cost a resident $87 to register an ATV/UTV, and $96 for a snowmobile, if you don't belong to a club.
    The non-resident rate is now $106 for an ATV and $116 for a sled.
    The current 2017-2018 registration stickers expire on June 30th., so renewal time is less than a week away.

https://wildlife.state.nh.us/ohrv/documents/annual-reg-form.pdf

27. JayMcB

JayMcB NES Member

28. LittleCalm

LittleCalm NES Member

At least for sleds, you get a discount if you are a member of a club and that discount usually offsets the cost of a non-discounted registration. So end result is that the club gets the discounted portion and you aren’t out of pocket anything more than if you bought a non-discounted registration.

29. lancecolonel

lancecolonel NES Member

we went to atv fest a couple years ago. i distinctly remember some of the local club guys saying how they simply couldn't maintain the trails with all the riders coming to the area now. i guess it was a double edged sword, tons of money came in but now tons more was going out for maintenance. i hope the added fees don't keep people away now as everything has it's tipping point cost-wise.

30. GM-GUY

GM-GUY NES Member

I joined online and I saved more on the registrations than the cost of the membership

Admin and JayMcB like this.