• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

NH open carry?

There a few posted signs at just a few very rare establishments.

For example, Cowgirlup and I are headed out the door now to the Hopkinton Fair. They started posting no firearm permitted signage several years back (or at least I stated noticing them several years back).
Concealed means concealed... ;)

I saw 2 people in Keene open carrying this past Saturday. I saw another guy the weekend prior in Keene as well. The one thing that they share in Common is overall sloppiness. Is it just me that sees this? Nylon style generic holsters, pants almost falling off with the weight of the gun, etc. I have yet to see someone open carry dressed respectable.

I saw 2 people in Keene open carrying this past Saturday. I saw another guy the weekend prior in Keene as well. The one thing that they share in Common is overall sloppiness. Is it just me that sees this? Nylon style generic holsters, pants almost falling off with the weight of the gun, etc. I have yet to see someone open carry dressed respectable.
The one time I openly carried in NH I used a garbage generic Blackhawk holster I bought the night before I went on that particular day trip. It was a poor choice looking back on it. I dressed well otherwise though. I didn’t know nearly as much as I know now and probably would have left the pistol at home with my current knowledge.

Is open carry alright in NH? My daughter and myself were at the beach and saw a guy walking along down the sidewalk with a sidearm strapped on. It was more of a "huh, look at that" more than anything. We were expecting someone to freak about it but we didnt hear anything. I could only imagine if that was in our state.

Greg
Your mind has been enslaved by Massachusetts. I too have caught myself asking if something was legal in NH only to have locals look at me like I had just escaped a mental institution - the "of course it's legal, wtf?" stare.

In most states no one cares about your gun. I've seen people OC in NH, NC, SC, GA, MT, WY, UT - no one ever even blinked, it was as normal as someone wearing a hat in public. Hell, I once saw a guy OC in Boston and no one seemed to care.

Personally, I'm not a fan of OC, but if I ever got a burning desire to do it, I wouldn't hesitate to in NH.

Edit: forgot to relay my recent NH story. I was crossing the street in Nashua this past spring and the wind blew my jacket open exposing my OWB holster and gun. The first car at the red light was a cop so unless he was staring at his phone or something he got a nice clear view of my gun. No sirens, no dogs shot, nothing - as normal as the fact that I was wearing shoes.

Open carry puts a target on your back. You won't see many people open carry in NH because we have a much more intelligent group up here than you might think. Concealed means concealed and that's for a very good reason!!!

New Hampshire is one of the last true American places in the country.

Last edited:
I heard it's going MAbat with the new propane tank and all the new people flooding in.

Weren't they trying to vote on a gun ordamce too which got shut down???

It's not Ma**h***s. It is a systematic problem throughout all of NH: NIMBYism. It is one of the major reasons housing is so damn expensive (especially rent). All the NIMBY's have used the zoning and planning boards to systematically stop most new housing projects such that supply is unable to meet demand causing prices to jump.

Your mind has been enslaved by Massachusetts. I too have caught myself asking if something was legal in NH only to have locals look at me like I had just escaped a mental institution - the "of course it's legal, wtf?" stare.

In most states no one cares about your gun. I've seen people OC in NH, NC, SC, GA, MT, WY, UT - no one ever even blinked, it was as normal as someone wearing a hat in public. Hell, I once saw a guy OC in Boston and no one seemed to care.

Personally, I'm not a fan of OC, but if I ever got a burning desire to do it, I wouldn't hesitate to in NH.

Edit: forgot to relay my recent NH story. I was crossing the street in Nashua this past spring and the wind blew my jacket open exposing my OWB holster and gun. The first car at the red light was a cop so unless he was staring at his phone or something he got a nice clear view of my gun. No sirens, no dogs shot, nothing - as normal as the fact that I was wearing shoes.

I don't think SC allows open carry.

Good point, they don't. Hmm... maybe I was still in NC at that point, idk.
I only know that because when I go visit my parents I am defenseless because only rich non-residents can carry down there since they restrict non-resident permits to those who are rich enough to own property (they have no reciprocity with NH).

I only know that because when I go visit my parents I am defenseless because only rich non-residents can carry down there since they restrict non-resident permits to those who are rich enough to own property (they have no reciprocity with NH).
Yeah they don't honor any of my licenses. On the upside, it's perfectly ok to have a loaded handgun in an unlocked glovebox on SC without any kind of license.

Open carry puts a target on your back. You won't see many people open carry in NH because we have a much more intelligent group up here than you might think. Concealed means concealed and that's for a very good reason!!!

New Hampshire is one of the last true American places in the country.

I guess everyone's entitled to their opinion, but please don't presume to speak for all of NH, just because you don't like it.

"Concealed means concealed..." What does that even mean? There's no requirement to carry concealed, and nowhere on the P&RL does it say "concealed." Anyone who chooses open carry obviously didn't choose "concealed," so "concealed means...nothing" at that point.

I agree with you about OC. I had to do it for 17 yrs and even in uniform I was never comfortable with random people around me. Holsters we typically buy/wear have none/little retention against a grab and when you are in a line at a supermarket/convenience store/etc. you could easily become a victim of theft. A thief entering a store if he sees someone OC might make that person a target. I personally prefer to have the element of surprise in my corner and not be forced into a shoot-out situation if I can avoid it . . . regardless of what state I'm in.

YMMV

I agree with you about OC. I had to do it for 17 yrs and even in uniform I was never comfortable with random people around me. Holsters we typically buy/wear have none/little retention against a grab and when you are in a line at a supermarket/convenience store/etc. you could easily become a victim of theft. A thief entering a store if he sees someone OC might make that person a target. I personally prefer to have the element of surprise in my corner and not be forced into a shoot-out situation if I can avoid it . . . regardless of what state I'm in.

YMMV

I certainly respect your opinion. Reasonable minds can disagree, or reach different conclusions.

The point that grinds me is "You won't see many people open carry in NH because we have a much more intelligent group up here than you might think." That statement reeks of an elitist, know-it-all attitude that makes no allowance for divergent experiences or opinions, and attempts to speak for everyone "up here." I don't remember any vote for spokesman being held...

This thread is bizarre.

I open carry all the time, but it is more of a being lazy/not really thinking about it kind of thing. And yes, even in Epping.

Are there a lot of businesses that ban firearms in NH?

Not really, and if they did, LOL.

I guess everyone's entitled to their opinion, but please don't presume to speak for all of NH, just because you don't like it.

"Concealed means concealed..." What does that even mean? There's no requirement to carry concealed, and nowhere on the P&RL does it say "concealed." Anyone who chooses open carry obviously didn't choose "concealed," so "concealed means...nothing" at that point.
You failed to capture my entire thought in your criticism. Moreover, I don't recall typing "I know I speak for the entire state of New Hampshire when I say..."

Concealed means concealed and that's for a very good reason!!!

If you like the woody you get when you open carry knock yourself out. Stay safe brother and beware of the covering fire!

Last edited:
Most of the time, when I OC, it's due to the weather and not having anything to cover the pistol. Like today. IF I wasn't going into MA I would have thought about carrying. But, since I DID have to go into MA (eye appointment and karma giving) and I don't have a permission slip from the PRM, I left my pistol(s) at home.

Honestly, I'm more prone to carry when it's NOT pushing 90F (or higher) outside.

You failed to capture my entire thought in your criticism. Moreover, I don't recall typing "I know I speak for the entire state of New Hampshire when I say..."

If you like the woody you get when you open carry knock yourself out. Stay safe brother and beware of the covering fire!

Concealed means concealed, but who said "concealed" in the first place? That's my question. We're talking about OC. The phrase seems to have originated when people were talking about concealed carry, and not printing/flashing. "Hey, 'Concealed' carry means 'concealed.'" It was also used when people had "Concealed Carry Permits" or talked about Concealed Carry Weapons (CCW). In that case, the "Concealed" Carry meant "concealed." But none of that applies here, so I again ask "Who said 'concealed' in the first place?"

Second, you spoke for the rest of us when you decided that "you won't see many people open carry in NH because we have a much more intelligent group up here than you might think." You chose to think OC was rare because you decided that's "intelligent" and therefore "we have a much more intelligent group." Really? Have you polled "the group?"

Third, you demean anyone who chooses to OC by implying they "like the woody you get when you open carry." So, anyone who OC's is just doing it to get a "woody?" Way to constructively contribute to the discussion. There are lots of valid reasons for open carry, including comfort, weather, weapon choice, speed, deterrence, etc. There are valid reasons for concealed carry, as well. Choosing one over the other does not imply that's "the intelligent" choice. To assume so is the height of arrogance.

The difference between us is I don't begrudge anyone their chosen method of carry, or demean opinions I don't agree with. You'll notice I said earlier "reasonable people can disagree" without rancor.

Concealed means concealed, but who said "concealed" in the first place? That's my question. We're talking about OC. The phrase seems to have originated when people were talking about concealed carry, and not printing/flashing. "Hey, 'Concealed' carry means 'concealed.'" It was also used when people had "Concealed Carry Permits" or talked about Concealed Carry Weapons (CCW). In that case, the "Concealed" Carry meant "concealed." But none of that applies here, so I again ask "Who said 'concealed' in the first place?"

Second, you spoke for the rest of us when you decided that "you won't see many people open carry in NH because we have a much more intelligent group up here than you might think." You chose to think OC was rare because you decided that's "intelligent" and therefore "we have a much more intelligent group." Really? Have you polled "the group?"

Third, you demean anyone who chooses to OC by implying they "like the woody you get when you open carry." So, anyone who OC's is just doing it to get a "woody?" Way to constructively contribute to the discussion. There are lots of valid reasons for open carry, including comfort, weather, weapon choice, speed, deterrence, etc. There are valid reasons for concealed carry, as well. Choosing one over the other does not imply that's "the intelligent" choice. To assume so is the height of arrogance.

The difference between us is I don't begrudge anyone their chosen method of carry, or demean opinions I don't agree with. You'll notice I said earlier "reasonable people can disagree" without rancor.

[popcorn]

And Open carry means open carry also.

The LAW says it’s ok so who gives a rats ass about concealed?

The one time I openly carried in NH I used a garbage generic Blackhawk holster I bought the night before I went on that particular day trip. It was a poor choice looking back on it. I dressed well otherwise though. I didn’t know nearly as much as I know now and probably would have left the pistol at home with my current knowledge.

I get it. And you probably didn’t fit the overall look I have seen recently. It’s a bit judgemental, but it’s what I have seen.

This thread is bizarre.

I open carry all the time, but it is more of a being lazy/not really thinking about it kind of thing. And yes, even in Epping.

Not really, and if they did, LOL.

To be more direct and to the point, I simply carry on a daily basis. Really do not consider it open or concealed. It's just there. I know, why to hard for some to even imagine. But it is really that simple.

Back
Top Bottom