• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

NH Nonresident

As others have said a restricted license used to be a problem but not anymore. With your Ma license you have 2 choices. Live with the restricted license until it expires or ask Waltham to "expire" it. My son had to do this when he moved from Watertown to Westford. If Waltham says no, you're stuck..

New Hampshire does not have a formal procedure for establishing residency

As others have said a restricted license used to be a problem but not anymore. With your Ma license you have 2 choices. Live with the restricted license until it expires or ask Waltham to "expire" it. My son had to do this when he moved from Watertown to Westford. If Waltham says no, you're stuck..
Or you decide tomorrow that you are moving to New Hampshire, immediately send the mandatory letter to your old Massachusetts town informing them of your new residency. Hopefully the PD, overcome by their firearms hatred, choose to immediately expire your LTC.

Once that happens, you change your mind and residency to your new MA hometown and file a new LTC application.

Quick update on this thread and question as well

So a lot has happened in my life since this posted started but long story short I ended up moving out of Waltham. I dropped off the paperwork and on the same day decided to ask for a license upgrade. I had heard that after 2 years sometimes the chief does this. I was a few months early but had nothing to lose! Received a call this morning that I could come pick up my new upgrades license! I immediately went and happy now!

Follow up question

i got so busy that I never sent in the Nh non res. I have no moved to a temporary home and will be moving to my final home Begining of June. Can I send in the form now and if so which address do I put on it or do I wait till I move which is only a few weeks away?

Thanks

I would wait the few weeks. If you must carry in NH without a permit, just open carry outside of your vehicle once you enter NH.

This, only because it makes life easier all around. I don't trust the USPS to ever forward mail properly, and you can open carry in NH, so its not like you are completely stuck. Congrats on the move!

Waltham is a joke.
Why? Just because of the restrictions or in general? I'm moving there soon but not concerned about LTC.

I'm possibly moving to Waltham and have had a LTC with no restrictions for the past 36 years (back in the old days it was "Personal Protection" as the reason, then it was "All Lawful Purposes", now it's "None". Just a bit of history). I'm now retired (66yo) and have my own small business buying and reselling electronics on the internet and carry large amounts of cash since I frequent auctions, estate sales, flea markets and such. I'm wondering with my LTC history what Waltham would issue me if indeed I moved to there.
You should be fine.

Why? Just because of the restrictions or in general? I'm moving there soon but not concerned about LTC.

You should be fine.

if you already have your LTC you are fine. They just restrict for first time applicants and for me it was less than 2 years until I got them lifted. The licensing officer is really nice.

if you already have your LTC you are fine. They just restrict for first time applicants and for me it was less than 2 years until I got them lifted. The licensing officer is really nice.
That's not that terrible - not compared to some other cities and towns in this state. Personally, I have unrestricted already so again, not concerned about Waltham.

Back
Top Bottom