• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

NH non resident renewal question

bdb

NES Member
So I sent me renewal in 2 weeks ago. Yes I know it's a CC state now but I want the added reciprocity with other states. I downloaded the form online a while back.

They sent back my app with a new very slightly updated form and said I needed to resubmit it. Fine no problem. I did not include 3 references on the original submission and the letter I got back did not have a check in the "did not submit references" box, only the "updated form" box.

Wasn't planning on submitting references on this form either. Anyone think that will be an issue. I could wrong but I thought I remembered reading on NES that references are not required per the law. Thoughts?

Last edited:
Although I have had a NH non-resident license for many years, the references I listed were never contacted by the NH state police. I assume the following is accurate from the NHSP and it states that if references are not given, the application will be considered incomplete.

If I choose to renew my Non-Resident Pistol License, do I still need to provide references?

Yes. The application needs to be completed in its entirety at each time of application. Incomplete applications will be returned.

https://www.nh.gov/safety/divisions/nhsp/ssb/permitslicensing/conceal-carry-faq.html

Even with CC, there's good reasons to get a non-resident P&R, plus New Hampshire appreciates the revenue.
Wasn't planning on submitting references on this form either. Anyone think that will be an issue. I could wrong but I thought I remembered reading on NES that references are not required per the law. Thoughts?
References must be filled out on the form; no need to provide additional details, like phone numbers.

NHSP doesn't contact references, but it's part of the form, even for renewals.

Ah, so when MA wants extra revenue (via the various taxes they levy) it's evil-personified. But if NH does it, it's a kindly helper who needs some extra jingle in his pocket. [rofl]

I'll pass. I won't renew when mine expires. I'm barely in the state anyhow. Ditto for reciprocification.

Ah, so when MA wants extra revenue (via the various taxes they levy) it's evil-personified. But if NH does it, it's a kindly helper who needs some extra jingle in his pocket. [rofl]

I'll pass. I won't renew when mine expires. I'm barely in the state anyhow. Ditto for reciprocification.

In MA, if you don't have a LTC (res or non-res) and you bring a gunnn into the state, you're boned if they find out. In NH, you do that without a P&R (res or non-res) and it's a zero event... Plus, in MA (for non-res) you pay 5x the amount of what you pay for the non-res NH P&R. There are no 'restrictions' on the NH P&R either. Unlike MA.

The differences in resident versions is even more telling. Costs are so far apart it's epic (count the first time res LTC costs with getting your cert and such).

MA legislatures make six figures now, NH a couple hundred. Ya, there is a different attitude about how money is spent by the states.

NH is all about displacing revenue collection onto tourists and other visitors

New Hampshire doesn't make you pay big bucks to exercise your constitutional rights. Even before constitutional carry, all you needed to do to exercise the right to CCW in NH for zero dollars was to live in a state that offered reciprocity to NH residents.

IOW, it's all Mass's fault.

In MA, if you don't have a LTC (res or non-res) and you bring a gunnn into the state, you're boned if they find out. In NH, you do that without a P&R (res or non-res) and it's a zero event... Plus, in MA (for non-res) you pay 5x the amount of what you pay for the non-res NH P&R. There are no 'restrictions' on the NH P&R either. Unlike MA.

The differences in resident versions is even more telling. Costs are so far apart it's epic (count the first time res LTC costs with getting your cert and such).

What does that have to do with a non-NH resident getting or not getting a NH non-res permit (assuming, obviously, they have a permit from home state provided the state issues permits, yada yada)? I'm actually asking. I may not be fully understanding what you are saying. (P&R is Pistol & Revolver or Pistol & Rifle???)

New Hampshire doesn't make you pay big bucks to exercise your constitutional rights. Even before constitutional carry, all you needed to do to exercise the right to CCW in NH for zero dollars was to live in a state that offered reciprocity to NH residents.

IOW, it's all Mass's fault.

Again - so I should pay NH $ because MA sucks even if I don't have to??? I thought it was all Live Free and Die. [rofl]

What does that have to do with a non-NH resident getting or not getting a NH non-res permit (assuming, obviously, they have a permit from home state provided the state issues permits, yada yada)? I'm actually asking. I may not be fully understanding what you are saying. (P&R is Pistol & Revolver or Pistol & Rifle???)

Again - so I should pay NH $ because MA sucks even if I don't have to??? I thought it was all Live Free and Die. [rofl]

P&R was only needed to carry concealed (pistols and revolvers) before CC became law. Now, no license/permit needed to carry concealed. You can also carry from inside MA (with your nanny LTC) into NH [and even ME and VT] without any issue (or f*cks given) now (at zero cost). Cost for the non-res (100% not required) is all of $100 for a 5 year term. So $20/year with zero course/certificate required (so no extra costs there).

If you WANT to get a non-res P&R, go right ahead. Just keep in mind, it's in no way a requirement to carry concealed in this state.

Just because MA forces you to get permission doesn't mean NH does.

For the record, I obtained my NH P&R last summer. I'll probably keep it just for the reciprocity with other states. Plus it opens up a few more places to CC in Maine (of more interest to me).

Wow, I never thought people could get so worked up about licensing fees for a state where constitutional carry has made the license 99.9% optional.

If you WANT to get a non-res P&R, go right ahead. Just keep in mind, it's in no way a requirement to carry concealed in this state.

Who said you had to give NH $?

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

HERE!!! RIGHT FLIPPING HERE!!!!!!!!!!

Even with CC, there's good reasons to get a non-resident P&R, plus New Hampshire appreciates the revenue.

References must be filled out on the form; no need to provide additional details, like phone numbers.

NHSP doesn't contact references, but it's part of the form, even for renewals.

Enjoy your plastic wallet card; residents get a half-sheet of recycled onionskin

I said "appreciates", just like NH appreciates the profits when non-residents shop at the I-93 oasis liquor stores. Compare this to Massachusetts, where the NR-LTC is 100% mandatory just to possess, and the state routinely makes noise about going after people who bring booze down from New Hampshire.

What does that have to do with a non-NH resident getting or not getting a NH non-res permit (assuming, obviously, they have a permit from home state provided the state issues permits, yada yada)? I'm actually asking. I may not be fully understanding what you are saying. (P&R is Pistol & Revolver or Pistol & Rifle???).
NH Pistol & Revolver licenses were required to concealed carry or to carry in a car; NH has no 'Rifle' licensing. The state supreme court eliminated the requirement that you have a license from your home state, back in [thread=310850]2016[/thread].

Today there's (almost) nothing in the RSAs making the P&R license something you need to have to be compliant with NH state law -- our P&R is optional, nearly all the benefits it gets you are extra add-ons that can't be granted by recognizing your home state permit nor by constitutional carry: reciprocity with a few additional states, peace of mind for Federal GFSZA compliance, (and ATV carry).

Oh, and a nice plastic wallet-sized card.

Last edited:
HERE!!! RIGHT FLIPPING HERE!!!!!!!!!!

picard.jpg

I think you missed the mild sarcasm in Kevin_NHs post.

Plus this passive-agressive, snarky armflapping memetic stuff about you trying to self-justify why you don't want to live in NH, it's getting old and it doesn't add anything to the thread. (there's only about 48 of your archetype on the forum- "MA really sucks but I feel the need to self-validate my decision to stay, blah blah blah) guess what, nobody cares. If you need to tell yourself that stuff so you can distract yourself from the fact that MA sucks, then fine, do it, just don't drag us into it. (and I say that as someone who lives in MA, lol).

-Mike

View attachment 203125

I think you missed the mild sarcasm in Kevin_NHs post.

Plus this passive-agressive, snarky armflapping memetic stuff about you trying to self-justify why you don't want to live in NH, it's getting old and it doesn't add anything to the thread. (there's only about 48 of your archetype on the forum- "MA really sucks but I feel the need to self-validate my decision to stay, blah blah blah) guess what, nobody cares. If you need to tell yourself that stuff so you can distract yourself from the fact that MA sucks, then fine, do it, just don't drag us into it. (and I say that as someone who lives in MA, lol).

-Mike

It does get old...

I said "appreciates", just like NH appreciates the profits when non-residents shop at the I-93 oasis liquor stores. Compare this to Massachusetts, where the NR-LTC is 100% mandatory just to possess, and the state routinely makes noise about going after people who bring booze down from New Hampshire.

NH Pistol & Revolver licenses were required to concealed carry or to carry in a car; NH has no 'Rifle' licensing. The state supreme court eliminated the requirement that you have a license from your home state, back in [thread=310850]2016[/thread].

Today there's nothing in the RSAs making the P&R license something you need to have to be compliant with NH state law -- our P&R is completely optional, the benefits it gets you are extra add-ons that can't be granted by recognizing your home state permit nor by constitutional carry: reciprocity with a few additional states, and peace of mind for Federal GFSZA compliance.

Oh, and a nice plastic wallet-sized card.

It's my understanding that the P&R License also allows you to carry on off-road vehicles whereas you can't do that under the Constitutional Carry law that NH passed. Correct?

It's my understanding that the P&R License also allows you to carry on off-road vehicles whereas you can't do that under the Constitutional Carry law that NH passed. Correct?

IANAL, but I believe you are correct. Constitutional carry applies to most aspects of everyday life here in NH, however, as I understand it there are still useless F&G laws on the books (including no loaded long guns in a vehicle of any kind....but that's what AR pistols are for, hehe) that have not yet been repealed. As they are basically useless laws that nobody cares about anyways, you're probably fine (again, NAL! I would compare it to weed being illegal). My brother comes and rides, and carries, and no Fs are given. It is a minor technicality that people from MA that worry about gun laws MAY worry about, but in reality, nobody gives a F. When will a trout-trouper ever search you??

Last edited:
IANAL, but I believe you are correct. Constitutional carry applies to most aspects of everyday life here in NH, however, as I understand it there are still useless F&G laws on the books (including no loaded long guns in a vehicle of any kind....but that's what AR pistols are for, hehe) that have not yet been repealed.
Good point. F&G must think the rule has some purpose, or they wouldn't keep blocking the bills to repeal it.

To be more precise, the New Hampshire Supreme Court did not eliminate the "requirement" that you have a license from your home state, they ruled that; 1.) there is no such requirement, 2.) the Department of Safety was just making it up, and 3.) the 30-80 million Americans who live in states where permission is arbitrarily delayed or denied doesn't make them unsuitable persons for the purposes of the statute.

My NH Res P&R expired shortly after moving to a state where one must; 1.) wait for a class opening, 2.) pay $50-100 for the class, 3.) submit your application and $50 to the state, and 4.) wait the 90 days they take to run the same check they do in two minutes if they happen to notice a taillight out.

I had a NH Res P&R for almost 30 years. It didn't matter. I was all of a sudden unsuitable. Denied.

As to the post of the applicant who neglected to include zip codes of references NHSP doesn't contact anyway, well, not only are they incompetent at reading and comprehending written English, they're pretty slow learners too. But boy they sure look snazzy in their Smokey the Bear hats. Geez, I sure feel safer. I guess that's why they call themselves the Department of Safety.

Last edited:
To the OP. I know you said you want the NH for reciprocity reasons. But consider this. Forgo the NH P&R and instead spend the same money on a FL or UT license.

Both get you more "extra" states with about a 90% overlap. There are some differences between the 3 so do your google research. But either way, I think that there are better choices for a license solely for reciprocity.

Don

IANAL, but I believe you are correct. Constitutional carry applies to most aspects of everyday life here in NH, however, as I understand it there are still useless F&G laws on the books (including no loaded long guns in a vehicle of any kind....but that's what AR pistols are for, hehe) that have not yet been repealed. As they are basically useless laws that nobody cares about anyways, you're probably fine (again, NAL! I would compare it to weed being illegal). My brother comes and rides, and carries, and no Fs are given. It is a minor technicality that people from MA that worry about gun laws MAY worry about, but in reality, nobody gives a F. When will a trout-trouper ever search you??

The no loaded long guns laws are pretty much the law of the land in every state in the country. The reason those were adopted has nothing to do with self defense. It has to do with shooting at and poaching deer from cars. In a lot of states its common practice to be rolling down "I Ten" with a rifle in the rack over your head and to pull over and shoot any deer that happens to be too close to the highway.

Back
Top Bottom