• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

NH non resident permit?

Nice. Glad it's resolved. I downloaded a copy of the application from a previous post in this thread. I'll be sending mine up this week. I hope mine doesn't expire before I get it...lol

OK. My application is all set to be mailed. My official mail date is going to be tomorrow March 8th as today is Sunday. So I will keep you posted. I am heading to take my UTAH application course this afternoon as well. I have no idea why. I never travel to any of those other states....lol I guess it's just because I want it.

So my mail date for my NH non-res LTC was March 8th and the check just cleared the bank yesterday. Don't know if that means the license is in the mail or not but haven't heard anything yet. So this is now a race between my Utah non-res LTC and my NH LTC as Utah just submitted the charge for the fee on my cc today. Which if any will get here first...lol.

that's funny. so much for the back ground check....lol the funny thing about mine is as I said about the NH...I mailed that on March 8th. I mailed the Utah on march 21st. they submitted payments a day apart....I'll give NH a bit of a break.,..not sure how long it takes for the banks to do their thing with a check. Figure a day extra maybe even 2. Almost a two week difference in mail time. It would be cool if they both got here on the same day.

I have always been reluctant to apply for out of state licenses. I don't want to have to explain it forever on my renewals if I were ever to be denied. I'm a victim of the Massachusetts paranoia.

As said from previous posts....Mail date for the NH Non-Res LTC was March 8th. Just got the mail today April 13th.....NH Non-Res LTC in Hand.....so 36 days for the complete process.

- - - Updated - - -

Last edited:
I got a call back, ironically, while I was sitting in my Utah no. Resident class. She told me to resubmit my application and they'll send my other one back. So, I sent it in Saturday. I do t care how long it takes, as long as I get it by August 1.

How long did it take to get a call back? My license came in with the wrong birth date and I am trying to get resolved. i called on Friday and again today.

How long did it take to get a call back? My license came in with the wrong birth date and I am trying to get resolved. i called on Friday and again today.

MIne came with a height listed at 6'8, im not even close to that. I called for a correction and had the new one in 3-4 days. I was told i could use the other license until the new one arrived, but i chose to wait.

NH Supreme Court just shot down the NH Dept. of Safety's requirement a non-resident have a home-state resident LTC before applying for a NH non-res license.

THIS IS A BIG DEAL because they smacked it down without reaching any constitutional question. The rules were simply held to be illegally created outside the scope of the agency's regulatory power.

Bach vs. New Hampshire Dept. of Safety:

http://www.courts.state.nh.us/supreme/opinions/2016/2016044bach.pdf

NH Supreme Court just shot down the NH Dept. of Safety's requirement a non-resident have a home-state resident LTC before applying for a NH non-res license.

THIS IS A BIG DEAL because they smacked it down without reaching any constitutional question. The rules were simply held to be illegally created outside the scope of the agency's regulatory power.

Now if we could only get those justices into the First Circuit somehow. Great work from the NH SJC.

A nice outcome. However, I'm concerned that the price to get a NH nonresi LTC might increase dramatically because now they might require finger print card and their own background check to be done.

A nice outcome. However, I'm concerned that the price to get a NH nonresi LTC might increase dramatically because now they might require finger print card and their own background check to be done.

Do they take fingerprints for instate applicants? If not, they may not have the authority to require that either.

Do they take fingerprints for instate applicants? If not, they may not have the authority to require that either.

They don't. The concern is unwarranted.

We will have to wait and see what the new method will be. I can't believe that they will issue to nonresi's without some form of vetting.

Good question.

Yes, they do background checks. There was no "vetting" from the requirement they have a home-state permit. It was merely a hurdle they decided to make up for non-residents. It's nowhere in the law, and well outside their rulemaking authority, as the court determined.

I always assumed that providing a valid out of state LTC for a non res NH permit was NH's way of doing the background check for non res. Since they don't have easy ready access to all the databases in the applicant's home state, they can say that since the applicant was granted a permit in their home state, thy are obviously not a federal PP or otherwise a prohibited person and therfore have a clean background and able to be issued a non res NH permit

Assumptions aside, the court was very succinct in its reasoning:

Because the rules at issue here effectively incorporate into New Hampshire’s requirements for concealed-carry licenses the requirements established by other states for the issuance of concealed-carry licenses, the rules change the requirements of RSA 159:6, and thus, “add to, detract from, or modify the statute which they are intended to implement,” Mays, 161 N.H. at 473 (quotation omitted). Accordingly, we conclude that the challenged rules — requiring nonresidents to provide proof that they hold resident state licenses in order to obtain concealed-carry licenses in New Hampshire — are ultra vires and, therefore, invalid. See Formula Dev. Corp. v. Town of Chester, 156 N.H. 177, 182 (2007) (noting that, to the extent administrative rules added to, detracted from, or modified our interpretation of a statute, the rules were ultra vires).

You kid yourself if you think the don't have access to non-NH records.

Len, I never thought they didn't have access to non-NH records. I just though it wasn't as easy as searching NH only records. You know .gov types. Many aren't, shall we say, the go getter type, so that even if they need to just press a few extra keys on the computer, they won't do it if they can just say "well, they have a permit issued in their home state, therefore they must be good to go."

Len, I never thought they didn't have access to non-NH records. I just though it wasn't as easy as searching NH only records. You know .gov types. Many aren't, shall we say, the go getter type, so that even if they need to just press a few extra keys on the computer, they won't do it if they can just say "well, they have a permit issued in their home state, therefore they must be good to go."

III works across the country and any decent department runs your BOP (in-state) and III when you get pulled over for speeding! It takes only about 2-3 minutes to really run a background check on someone. Mental health check is more complicated, but this should give you some idea. That's why NH can do it in 14 days (per law). In MA, most of the reason it takes longer to process is laziness on the PD (wrt background checks) plus a multi-step process across multiple agencies.

III works across the country and any decent department runs your BOP (in-state) and III when you get pulled over for speeding! It takes only about 2-3 minutes to really run a background check on someone. Mental health check is more complicated, but this should give you some idea. That's why NH can do it in 14 days (per law). In MA, most of the reason it takes longer to process is laziness on the PD (wrt background checks) plus a multi-step process across multiple agencies.

Good to know. I haven't had any real exposure to the inside stuff for the PD side of public safety, just a lot of EMS and FD due to my job as an EMT, so I was just making a guess. Thank you for clearing it up for me.

Good to know. I haven't had any real exposure to the inside stuff for the PD side of public safety, just a lot of EMS and FD due to my job as an EMT, so I was just making a guess. Thank you for clearing it up for me.

You are welcome.

NH does it right. So does PA where they do the background while you wait . . . typically 15 minutes and you walk out with the license.

MA makes a big production out of it, with tons of "steps" to merely waste time.

USSC has ruled what is "reasonable" time for a MV stop (to do checks), but nobody has (TTBOMK) ever challenged the ridiculous amount of time some states take to do a background and issue gun licenses.

My first NH NR license took 9 days from dropping application in the Mail to receiving the license. My PA (mail order back then) license took 4 days over a weekend from putting it in the Mail to receiving it.

Back
Top Bottom