NH non resident permit?

Sadly, CC license rejection is too big a risk to try such stuff - because you have to declare a rejection on many or most other states' applications - so everyone becomes concerned about things like exact wording. It's not even worth trying something cute as a matter of humor because there is more than the filing fee to lose.

That said, as Rob's successful use of "protection" shows, the processors of out-of-state NH applications haven't been pedantic and will approve a reasonable basis even if it isn't literally stated in the RSAs. But if you want to play it safe, use one of the "proper purposes" listed in RSA 159:6 - "Hunting, target shooting, or self-defense".

For my NH app. I use "all lawful purposes" and it was accepted.

For my NH app. I use "all lawful purposes" and it was accepted.

As it should be!

Yeah, no real reason to not accept it would be you can't follow a simple set of instructions. I can't believe this discussion continues to come up. Come on guys, it's not that complicated to do it right. Is a CoP going to deny it because you put "all-lawful purpose" even though that's not a valid reason in NH? Most likely not. If they were on the fence about issuing a license because of something in your past that wasn't a disqualifier and you gave them the "didn't fill out the paperwork properly" option, they could.

Simple enough to fill the paperwork in properly if they did deny, but most states, NH included, ask "have you ever been denied a license to carry"...

http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rsa/html/XII/159/159-6.htm

NH RSA 159:6 said:
Hunting, target shooting, or self-defense shall be considered a proper purpose. The license shall be valid for all allowable purposes regardless of the purpose for which it was originally issued.

Also on the second page of the application.

http://www.nh.gov/safety/divisions/nhsp/documents/dssp85.pdf

Yeah, no real reason to not accept it would be you can't follow a simple set of instructions. I can't believe this discussion continues to come up. Come on guys, it's not that complicated to do it right. Is a CoP going to deny it because you put "all-lawful purpose" even though that's not a valid reason in NH? Most likely not. If they were on the fence about issuing a license because of something in your past that wasn't a disqualifier and you gave them the "didn't fill out the paperwork properly" option, they could.

Simple enough to fill the paperwork in properly if they did deny, but most states, NH included, ask "have you ever been denied a license to carry"...

http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rsa/html/XII/159/159-6.htm

Also on the second page of the application.

http://www.nh.gov/safety/divisions/nhsp/documents/dssp85.pdf

Perhaps you should read the NON RESIDENT application. There is a difference.

** NON-RESIDENT APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS **
* ALL LICENSE APPLICANTS - - PLEASE NOTE:
A non-resident pistol permit will not be issued unless you supply:
1) A copy (front & back) of your valid concealed carry permit issued by the state, county, or town in which you
reside, or a valid concealed permit issued by any other state.
OR IF YOU ARE A VERMONT RESIDENT:
2) A letter from your local police department, verifying that the state you reside in does not require a license to carry
concealed, and that, to the best of the departments’ knowledge:
a) You have never been denied a license to carry,
b) You have never been convicted of a felony which has not been Annulled,
c) You are not a user of controlled drugs or narcotics without orders from a physician,
d) You have not been treated for mental illness, emotional problems, or confined to a mental health facility,
e) You have no domestic violence petitions that would prevent possession of weapons under federal statute,
and
f) In any court of a misdemeanor of domestic violence.

A license to carry a loaded handgun may be issued for PROTECTION or ALL PROPER PURPOSES. One or more of these
reasons must be noted on the application, in the space provided for reason(s) you make applica

http://www.nh.gov/safety/divisions/nhsp/ssb/permitslicensing/documents/dssp260.pdf

All lawful / all proper is just semantics. I followed the instructions just fine thanks. Check your sources before you call someone out, and claim they "can't follow a simple set of instructions."

Last edited:
Perhaps you should read the NON RESIDENT application. There is a difference.

http://www.nh.gov/safety/divisions/nhsp/ssb/permitslicensing/documents/dssp260.pdf

All lawful / all proper is just semantics. I followed the instructions just fine thanks. Check your sources before you call someone out, and claim they "can't follow a simple set of instructions."

You could not be more right, I had forgotten this was a thread for non-resident. Thank you for correcting me, it appears I was absolutely wrong.

Mine arrived Dec 14th, issue date 10/26/11. I called right before Thanksgiving to check and I was told it was approved and just needed some final processing. Called again 3 weeks after first call and was told it went out in today's mail and I received it the next day in the mail. So much for the 1 week turn around.

Mine arrived Dec 14th, issue date 10/26/11. I called right before Thanksgiving to check and I was told it was approved and just needed some final processing. Called again 3 weeks after first call and was told it went out in today's mail and I received it the next day in the mail. So much for the 1 week turn around.

It is a 14 day turn around for everyone other than MA people. You get a special turn around time.

Just called and the woman on the phone was extremely nice.. said its approved and just has to be mailed out.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Apparently they have run out of card-stock or something. The NH State Police website says the following "Due to supply issues, we are currently experiencing a delay in issuing our Non-Resident Pistol/Revolver Permits. We apologize for any inconvenience and appreciate your patience!"

http://www.nh.gov/safety/divisions/nhsp/ssb/permitslicensing/plupr.html

You must have it issued or denyed within the 14 days requird by law. The law does not care if they are out of card stock, ink or short staffed with processing. The law is the law and is quite clear.

You must have it issued or denyed within the 14 days requird by law. The law does not care if they are out of card stock, ink or short staffed with processing. The law is the law and is quite clear.

Good luck fighting that one!

One of my NH NR renewals took 6 weeks. Same excuse (this was a number of years ago), you just suck it up and live with it. By the time you hire an attorney and file in court, you'll have the permit anyway . . . making the matter moot in the eyes of the court.

Good luck fighting that one!

One of my NH NR renewals took 6 weeks. Same excuse (this was a number of years ago), you just suck it up and live with it. By the time you hire an attorney and file in court, you'll have the permit anyway . . . making the matter moot in the eyes of the court.

No need for any of that. It wasn't needed before and won't be needed this round.

Dropped mine in the mail today with a copy of my restricted LTC (thanks MASS!!!!), and my 03 FFL. For the record I used "ALL PROPER PURPOSES" as justification... let's see if I can conceal carry in 22 states... none of which I reside in?

turbo89:2185695 said:
Dropped mine in the mail today with a copy of my restricted LTC (thanks MASS!!!!), and my 03 FFL. For the record I used "ALL PROPER PURPOSES" as justification... let's see if I can conceal carry in 22 states... none of which I reside in?

I have a ma restricted ltc as well. My nh non resident doesnt say anything about restrictions so im guessing there isnt any :)

I have a ma restricted ltc as well. My nh non resident doesnt say anything about restrictions so im guessing there isnt any :)

Your state is one of the very few with such retardation as license restrictions. California is another one.

There is no shall-issue state that has restricted licenses that I know of.

And in any case, these licenses exist only to carry concealed and to carry a LOADED handgun in a vehicle. Gun ownership, posession, unloaded transport, and open carry is all done without a license in NH.

There is no shall-issue state that has restricted licenses that I know of.

Actually, this is both true and untrue at the same time :).

It's true, since unrestricted states generally have one type of license.

On the other hand, it's untrue since many "shall issue" states have broad restrictions that apply to all LTC holders - things like "no places where alcohol is sold for on premises consumption", "no businesses that have a gun ban sign posted", "no govt buildings", etc. So the licenses are, in effect, still restricted - but not on an arbitrary "per applicant" basis.

The bizarre thing is that an unrestricted MA or NY license (assuming you can get one) allows carry in MORE places than a Florida, Texas or Arizona license allows for residents of those states.

Shall-issue states, in general, have more blanket restrictions on licenses than may-issue states, since their permit laws tend to be newer and established in the fact of organized opposition, whereas old style carry permit systems were originally intended only to prevent the "wrong type" from carrying to make sure that "special people" could be taken care of.

Actually, this is both true and untrue at the same time :).

It's true, since unrestricted states generally have one type of license.

On the other hand, it's untrue since many "shall issue" states have broad restrictions that apply to all LTC holders - things like "no places where alcohol is sold for on premises consumption", "no businesses that have a gun ban sign posted", "no govt buildings", etc. So the licenses are, in effect, still restricted - but not on an arbitrary "per applicant" basis.

The bizarre thing is that an unrestricted MA or NY license (assuming you can get one) allows carry in MORE places than a Florida, Texas or Arizona license allows for residents of those states.

Shall-issue states, in general, have more blanket restrictions on licenses than may-issue states, since their permit laws tend to be newer and established in the fact of organized opposition, whereas old style carry permit systems were originally intended only to prevent the "wrong type" from carrying to make sure that "special people" could be taken care of.

While that is true, our odds of taking restrictions out of our laws are far better than you getting your restrictions off your license.

While that is true, our odds of taking restrictions out of our laws are far better than you getting your restrictions off your license.

How true ... the track record for having "restaurant bans" converted into either "bar only bans" or "while drinking only bans" in shall issue states is pretty good. Yes, there are MANY folks in MA with unrestricted LTC's but, unlike shall issue states, we cannot rest comfortable in the assurance that one chief's retirement, or unproven allegation, will not reverse one's individual good fortune in the blink of an eye.

Check Cashed! Hopefully my permit is on it's way!

Mailed NH non-resident renewal application, copy of MA LTC A ALP permit and check on January 6th. Received NH permit in mail yesterday - two and a half weeks. Pretty happy with that.

Got mine in mail today! Date issued 1/20/2012. Looks like I can carry in 22 states... but not Massachusetts. [rules]

I sent mine in 2 weeks ago for renewal and they just cashed the check. Today I got the NH renewal notice in the Mail. I'm betting that mine will expire (2/28) before I see the renewal permit in the mail.

Back
Top Bottom