NH non-resident permit

I have a RI permit through the AG. It has a work restriction. I am in the process of getting a non-restricted permit through my local chief. My question is, if I apply with my work restricted permit will New Hampshire put a restriction on my non resident permit? I would like to get the application in its still going to be a little while before I get my non restricted in Rhode Island.

Last edited:
I did read the NH site and called the State Police number listed (went to voicemail). I didn't see anything about restrictions. I just wanted to confirm. I already downloaded and filled out the application. MLDS ?

MLDS is a phrase I coined to accurately describe how Massachusetts subjects have been beaten down.

MLDS stands for Massachusetts Logic Development Syndrome.

Here is the actual law. Section 6 is all that matters for CCW purposes. It is good to read the whole thing because A. It is not long and B. it is the entirety of NH law on pistols and revolvers. There is basically no law on rifles, only some hunting related ones.

CHAPTER 159 PISTOLS AND REVOLVERS

I did read the NH site and called the State Police number listed (went to voicemail). I didn't see anything about restrictions. I just wanted to confirm. I already downloaded and filled out the application. MLDS ?

Wait. You called the State Police to ask about something that wasn't in the law? Was there anything else that wasn't in the law that you wanted to check on?

Wait. You called the State Police to ask about something that wasn't in the law? Was there anything else that wasn't in the law that you wanted to check on?

Leave the poor guy alone. Isn't it enough that he has restrictions on his current permit?[rofl]

By the way, when I got the RI permit and they work restricted it. I said there's nothing in law that says it can be restricted. Their response was there's nothing in the law that says we can't. In other words unless you have a shitload of money to sue me I will do what I want. I wasn't going to just assume what New Hampshire does regardless of the way the law was written! Thanks anyways for the sarcasm.

By the way, when I got the RI permit and they work restricted it. I said there's nothing in law that says it can be restricted. Their response was there's nothing in the law that says we can't. In other words unless you have a shitload of money to sue me I will do what I want. I wasn't going to just assume what New Hampshire does regardless of the way the law was written! Thanks anyways for the sarcasm.

Like I said MLDS has spread.

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but quick question. I live in MA and am planning on driving up to NH for a barbecue at a friend's place. When I leave MA (removing my jacket to OC), am I legal if I just remove the magazine and clear the chamber until I get to my destination and leave my vehicle?

Yes.
No need to remove the jacket while in the car or while unloaded outside the car.

MLDS is a phrase I coined to accurately describe how Massachusetts subjects have been beaten down.

MLDS stands for Massachusetts Logic Development Syndrome.

Here is the actual law. Section 6 is all that matters for CCW purposes. It is good to read the whole thing because A. It is not long and B. it is the entirety of NH law on pistols and revolvers. There is basically no law on rifles, only some hunting related ones.

CHAPTER 159 PISTOLS AND REVOLVERS

Can I carry my pistol in a lockbox in my center console with two loaded mags and the pistol in the lockbox, but no mag in the pistol? I don't yet have a NH permit.

159:4 Carrying Without License. – No person shall carry a loaded pistol or revolver in any vehicle or concealed upon his person, except in his dwelling, house or place of business, without a valid license therefor as hereinafter provided. A loaded pistol or revolver shall include any pistol or revolver with a magazine, cylinder, chamber or clip in which there are loaded cartridges. Whoever violates the provisions of this section shall, for the first such offense, be guilty of a misdemeanor. For the second and for each subsequent violation of the provisions of this section, such person shall be guilty of a class B felony, provided such second or subsequent violation has occurred within 7 years of the previous conviction.

Can I carry my pistol in a lockbox in my center console with two loaded mags and the pistol in the lockbox, but no mag in the pistol? I don't yet have a NH permit.

159:4 Carrying Without License. – No person shall carry a loaded pistol or revolver in any vehicle or concealed upon his person, except in his dwelling, house or place of business, without a valid license therefor as hereinafter provided. A loaded pistol or revolver shall include any pistol or revolver with a magazine, cylinder, chamber or clip in which there are loaded cartridges. Whoever violates the provisions of this section shall, for the first such offense, be guilty of a misdemeanor. For the second and for each subsequent violation of the provisions of this section, such person shall be guilty of a class B felony, provided such second or subsequent violation has occurred within 7 years of the previous conviction.

I know I answered your PM but I'll answer in public for others to see.

I am not a lawyer but my understanding is Yes, you can do that. You don't even need to have the gun in the lock box. It can just be chillin in the center console with the mags next to it.

Man its been 3 weeks since I sent in my Non-res permit to NH and they haven't even cashed the check yet..... anyone know the about wait times for NH ? I see someone above who had theirs back in 2 weeks... Is there anywhere to call to see if they at least received it ? No I didn't send it registered.. and I have no reason why I didn't.... besides stupidity.

Man its been 3 weeks since I sent in my Non-res permit to NH and they haven't even cashed the check yet..... anyone know the about wait times for NH ? I see someone above who had theirs back in 2 weeks... Is there anywhere to call to see if they at least received it ? No I didn't send it registered.. and I have no reason why I didn't.... besides stupidity.

I never send any of that stuff registered mail and I also don't fret over it. If you are that worried there is a phone number on the application. Call and ask.

I never send any of that stuff registered mail and I also don't fret over it. If you are that worried there is a phone number on the application. Call and ask.

NH law doesn't differentiate on the length of time to issue the license for residents vs non-residents. It should be two weeks I would think that with the time for it to get through the post office to them and back to you the whole length of time it took would be about three weeks.

Back
Top Bottom