• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

NH non resident license has no "reason"

Just got my NH non resident pistol / revolver lincense in the mail and I noticed there is nothing on the license that says what its being issued for. Is this normal? They are very nice but when I applied I had to choose a reason and I put protection / lawful purpose but I dont see ANYTHING on the license that says anything about why its issued.
I hold a class A ALP license in ma with no restrictions.

anyone else have the NH license with no reason on it?
Rob

NH doesn't require permits for mere possession and use like Massachusetts does, so there's no reason to issue a license for anything other than concealed carry.

Rob,

My renewal form asked the same question. I am curious why but as long as I get it and can carry concealed while up there it's not a big deal.

sounds good to me... but I guess my question is if there is only one reason to issue one, why do they ask in the application for a reason then?

but thats fine. Glad to have it....

Just got my NH non resident pistol / revolver lincense in the mail and I noticed there is nothing on the license that says what its being issued for. Is this normal? They are very nice but when I applied I had to choose a reason and I put protection / lawful purpose but I dont see ANYTHING on the license that says anything about why its issued.
I hold a class A ALP license in ma with no restrictions.

Rob

In the overwhelming majority of the states, firearms ownership requires no license and no permit of any kind. In the overwhelming majority of CCW states, licenses are "shall issue" which means that as long as you do not meet any of the statutorily-limited reasons for CCW disqualification, the issuing authority SHALL ISSUE the license. In most states (like mine), the law states that the license must be issued within a certain timeframe, and lack of denial within that timeframe means the license is de facto issued if the time limit for license issuance passes. In other words, the issuing authority can't just sit on the paperwork forever.

Here in Ohio there is only one weird magazine restriction. Our law (Ohio Revised Code) considers any firearm with a magazine capable of holding more than 31 rounds a machine gun. Weird, but hardly much to get worked up over.

There are no AWBs, no limit on the number of firearms per transaction, no regulation of private firearm sales, and open carry is considered a constitutional right, and no storage requirements.

Just got my NH renewal and one of the questions is "for what reason do you make an application to carry a pistol in NH" The two choices listed are:
Protection or All Proper Purposes
I'm kinda unsure which one to put down.

Just got my NH renewal and one of the questions is "for what reason do you make an application to carry a pistol in NH" The two choices listed are:
Protection or All Proper Purposes
I'm kinda unsure which one to put down.

IT MAKES NO DIFFERENCE!!!!!!!!

NH is a SHALL ISSUE state. They will issue the license regardless of which of the two reasons you state as long as you do not fall into one of the statutorily defined criteria for rejection. The State Police have no discretion regarding issue otherwise, and they cannot place restrictions on the license.

I have no idea why they still ask this, perhaps it's a left over from long ago maybe when the SP had some discretion over the matter.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have no idea why they still ask this, perhaps it's a left over from long ago maybe when the SP had some discretion over the matter.

Some states (like PA) have a reason for issuance slot on the permit
but when all is said and done it is legally meaningless. A buddy of
mine got a PA carry permit but it said "Target Shooting" or some
crap on it, but that was only because thats what he wrote in on the
form... but it doesn't restrict his license in any way. It's probably
just a throwback or an anecdotal/survey thing.

-Mike

CC permit = week and a half, NH

Incidentally, I moved to Derry NH last month. We filled out a form for a pistol permit, called in a week and half as instructed, paid $20.00 for both my wife's and mine, walked out and thought 'I love this state.' Just a bit different than MA where we came from. I saw the spot on the application that asked for reason and just put 'all lawful purposes,'I had thought better of 'because I want to and I can.'

Last edited:
Here in Ohio I don't have to give a reason for wanting a CHL. Hell, there no place to say so even if I wanted to.

Back
Top Bottom