• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

NH Non resident CCW Permit ?

I have a non resident NH permit that was recognized in most states that I might visit.

Now that NH is a Constitutional Carry State, is the Utah permit the best one to obtain these days ?

I have both a NH non-res and a Utah non-rs and and will be applying for Maine non-res as well. I thought the Utah non-res gave you the most states of any.

yeah, I heard Florida gives you some more states. Not sure if you have to apply in person in Florida though. Utah and NH I did through the mail. If so, next time I get to Florida I will apply for that one too.

Utah is slightly better in terms of total states. It gives you everything Florida does, plus Washington and Wisconsin.

The only thing Florida gives you that Utah doesn't is New Mexico, for some reason.

This is from a quick look at usacarry.com

yeah, I heard Florida gives you some more states. Not sure if you have to apply in person in Florida though. Utah and NH I did through the mail. If so, next time I get to Florida I will apply for that one too.

I have FL. Done by mail. You do have to have your prints done by law enforcement to send along with the application. Same class that I took for FL was valid for UT.

Looking at Handgunlaw.us looks like UT has a couple more states than FL. Very similar maps though.

I have FL. Done by mail. You do have to have your prints done by law enforcement to send along with the application. Same class that I took for FL was valid for UT.

Looking at Handgunlaw.us looks like UT has a couple more states than FL. Very similar maps though.

Utah is slightly better in terms of total states. It gives you everything Florida does, plus Washington and Wisconsin.

The only thing Florida gives you that Utah doesn't is New Mexico, for some reason.

This is from a quick look at usacarry.com

So the finger print thing is the same as Utah. I had that done when I took the Utah class. And through the mail makes it nice. I'll just have to think of another excuse to get to Florida again ...lol So I'll get the Maine license and then Florida and then that should be it...or maybe a C&R too. But to the OP just check the states you might visit most and see what license covers you there. I don't think you can go wrong with either the Utah or Florida unless one doesn't cover a state you will frequent.

I took my Utah course at Tactical Dynamics...I know a few places offer it like Mass Firearms as well as others so you might be able to find a place closer to you than another.

New Hampshire didn't discontinue the P&R license, just made it optional

Florida and Utah are both good, depends on where you plan to travel.

I have a non resident NH permit that was recognized in most states that I might visit.
Now that NH is a Constitutional Carry State, is the Utah permit the best one to obtain these days ?
Your existing non-resident NH license is still recognized by those same states, New Hampshire has not stopped issuing Resident and Non-Resident licenses; new ones will be good for 5 years instead of 4.

I am probably going to let my Florida license expire. With a Virginia resident permit, it doesn't help me at all. I'll keep the Utah though.

My previous post was inconsistent. Utah does not give you everything that Florida does. It excludes New Mexico.

If I were a NH resident I would get a Utah permit, and forego the Florida, unless I was planning on visiting New Mexico. If I were going to New Mexico it would depend on how often and how long I would be there.

Ugh. We need national constitutional carry.

So the finger print thing is the same as Utah. I had that done when I took the Utah class. And through the mail makes it nice. I'll just have to think of another excuse to get to Florida again ...lol So I'll get the Maine license and then Florida and then that should be it...or maybe a C&R too. But to the OP just check the states you might visit most and see what license covers you there. I don't think you can go wrong with either the Utah or Florida unless one doesn't cover a state you will frequent.

I took my Utah course at Tactical Dynamics...I know a few places offer it like Mass Firearms as well as others so you might be able to find a place closer to you than another.

For FL your fingerprints need to be done by a law enforcement agency, but not for UT, unless something has changed. When I first looked into Utah a few years ago, you could go to a fingerprinting service to have it done, it didn't have to be a law enforcement agency.

Renewals for UT and FL

Here were the differences when I most recently renewed my UT and FL licenses:

UT - very easy, entirely-online process (with a cool photo upload feature); cost $15.75; good for 5 years

FL - new fingerprints required on FBI card (printed by LEO), mailed with photo and application; cost $102.00 plus postage; good for 7 years

ETA: I just clicked on the FL link in post #7. It looks like they now charge $92.00 and have a new online process (Renewals Only) that has been instituted within the last 6 months (after I last renewed, so I haven't seen it). That $92 includes the fingerprint processing fee, but I don't know how you get your fingerprints to them if you're renewing online.

Last edited:
For FL your fingerprints need to be done by a law enforcement agency, but not for UT, unless something has changed. When I first looked into Utah a few years ago, you could go to a fingerprinting service to have it done, it didn't have to be a law enforcement agency.

I had it all done in the course. Thank you for that clarification.

For the 1000th time, no, they will still issue a P&R License if requested. New licenses are now good for 5 years.

Thanks. Reading the OP it reads as they're going away and he needs a new state non res.

Back
Top Bottom