• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

NH NFA Trust

Gents, unfortunately I'm not currently licensed in NH (MA and ME only), but I'm in discussions with a colleague who is about the possibility of partnering to provide NFA trusts to New Hampshire residents. Feel free to send me a PM if you're interested in being notified if and when this happens.

Just spoke to Bill from http://smythlaw.net/ - he does an NFA Trust for $200. He doesn't charge for updates either, you can just add your item to the schedule paper and resubmit it to ATF for your stamp, unlike some places that charge per update.

He just needs basic info (name, address, phone, social, etc) and can do it in a few days for you. The Schedule form will be sent in Word format to make it easy to add items.

If you contact him, tell him Alan from MyGunDB sent you!

Hmmm. For those who went with Nappen/GunTrustLawyer, it looks as if Schedule/Schedule A would be equivalent to the "ASSIGNMENT TO..." page appended to the trust certification.

Besides NFA firearms, other personal property such as non-NFA firearms (Title I weapons) and other collectibles may be assigned to the NFA gun trust. If the NFA gun trust includes a schedule that identifies all trust property, the customer unnecessarily provides an organized, detailed inventory of each and every item assigned to the NFA gun trust, such as NFA firearms, non-NFA firearms, or other collectibles to the ATF.
He has a point. De facto voluntary registration.

Just spoke to Bill from http://smythlaw.net/ - he does an NFA Trust for $200. He doesn't charge for updates either, you can just add your item to the schedule paper and resubmit it to ATF for your stamp, unlike some places that charge per update.

He just needs basic info (name, address, phone, social, etc) and can do it in a few days for you. The Schedule form will be sent in Word format to make it easy to add items.

If you contact him, tell him Alan from MyGunDB sent you!

SSN on your trust? [hmmm]

Several. They are either cheap ($200) and minimal to skate around the CLEO, or expensive ($600+) and actually useful.

What is the difference? And is there a list somewhere of NH firearms attorneys that people on NES have had good experiences with in the past? There is a group buy on trusts, that kind of got me interested in it, but its not for NH residents. Don't really want an online one, would like a real attorney since I would have some questions about it, etc.

Nothing wrong with online trusts, barring complex inheritence or six-figure values

What is the difference? And is there a list somewhere of NH firearms attorneys that people on NES have had good experiences with in the past? There is a group buy on trusts, that kind of got me interested in it, but its not for NH residents. Don't really want an online one, would like a real attorney since I would have some questions about it, etc.

The cheap "online" (computer generated) trusts are valid trusts written to comply both with the rules of your state and the NFA, but not really customized to your personal situation. There isn't much point in "skating around" the CLEO signoff in New Hampshire (other than saving time); Rather trusts are helpful for situations where you may have more than one person with access to/possession of NFA items. Or you can pay +$600 to "GunTrustLawyer", which will give you the opportunity to speak with a lawyer who can answer your questions.

IMHO, unless you're talking a complex inheritance situation or [thread=243866]big ticket items[/thread], the $99 online form-filler trust should do fine for your NFA needs. Leaving your condo to your niece over your adopted stepson's objections? Get a lawyer.

The cheap "online" (computer generated) trusts are valid trusts written to comply both with the rules of your state and the NFA, but not really customized to your personal situation. There isn't much point in "skating around" the CLEO signoff in New Hampshire (other than saving time); Rather trusts are helpful for situations where you may have more than one person with access to/possession of NFA items. Or you can pay +$600 to "GunTrustLawyer", which will give you the opportunity to speak with a lawyer who can answer your questions.

IMHO, unless you're talking a complex inheritance situation or [thread=243866]big ticket items[/thread], the $99 online form-filler trust should do fine for your NFA needs. Leaving your condo to your niece over your adopted stepson's objections? Get a lawyer.

And privacy. I've got a good CLEO, but that doesn't mean I like him knowing every time I add an SBR or a can.

Privacy is one reason I would like it. Ed's post seemed to be comparing the services of one in person attorney to another, not online form trusts to that of an attorney. Just curious if there are any specifically that are preferred by NES members.

Gents, unfortunately I'm not currently licensed in NH (MA and ME only), but I'm in discussions with a colleague who is about the possibility of partnering to provide NFA trusts to New Hampshire residents. Feel free to send me a PM if you're interested in being notified if and when this happens.

To the OP - RockMaple is the attorney whom I hired to draft a Trust (in MA) for me. I couldn't have been happier with the service. From phone calls to emails my questions were answered promptly and exhaustively. And the Trust doc Rock drafted was everything I had hoped it would be.

If Rock can put you in touch with a colleague he recommends, that might be your best bet. Good luck!

Thanks Shamrockjr. I'm finalizing arrangements with a New Hampshire attorney, and expect that we will be able to offer New Hampshire NFA gun trusts in the next few weeks.

To the OP - RockMaple is the attorney whom I hired to draft a Trust (in MA) for me. I couldn't have been happier with the service. From phone calls to emails my questions were answered promptly and exhaustively. And the Trust doc Rock drafted was everything I had hoped it would be.

If Rock can put you in touch with a colleague he recommends, that might be your best bet. Good luck!

I am happy to announce that along with New Hampshire co-counsel, and I are now offering NFA gun trusts to residents of New Hampshire. The price is a flat fee is $500 and includes a customized NFA trust, background materials and general guidance on the NFA registration process.

Last edited:
I am happy to announce that New Hampshire attorney, Benjamin Maki, of Wilton, New Hampshire, and I are now offering NFA gun trusts to residents of New Hampshire. The price is a flat fee is $500 and includes a customized NFA trust, background materials and general guidance on the NFA registration process.

[shocked] So $205 MORE than for either MA or ME?? Sorry, but that's just insane. Especially since I've been informed of other attorney's (in NH) that do it for a more modest rate. Maybe if I was bringing home mid 6 figures I wouldn't care about the 60% increase over two other [neighboring] states. Actually, I probably still would care.

I am happy to announce that New Hampshire attorney, Benjamin Maki, of Wilton, New Hampshire, and I are now offering NFA gun trusts to residents of New Hampshire. The price is a flat fee is $500 and includes a customized NFA trust, background materials and general guidance on the NFA registration process.

Too rich for my blood, especially when you consider that's 66% higher than in MA.....I'll pass

[shocked] So $205 MORE than for either MA or ME?? Sorry, but that's just insane. Especially since I've been informed of other attorney's (in NH) that do it for a more modest rate. Maybe if I was bringing home mid 6 figures I wouldn't care about the 60% increase over two other [neighboring] states. Actually, I probably still would care.

There may be other attorneys offering New Hampshire NFA gun trusts for a lower price, but $500 is far less than many attorneys charge, and on the lower end of the spectrum, overall. As with most goods and services, prices will vary.

My Maine and Massachusetts trusts are being offered for a limited time at $295 to NES members, and are subject to change. Note that I am able to offer these trusts at a discounted rate because I alone set pricing. Furthermore, despite being "neighboring states," the product here (NH NFA trust + background materials + legal guidance), while similar to Maine and Massachusetts trusts, is different.

Aside from being in different states, what is different about the two products? Is that the only thing? I understand that prices will vary, I don't mind paying more to get what I want versus what may be the cheapest option. I don't really want a fill in the blank, one size fits all DIY trust. I would like to be able to ask questions and receive some guidance from the attorney. But I thought you got all that with the MA trust for $200 less, so seems strange it is that much more to do the same thing in New Hampshire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i'm also a little curious about this as one day i'd probably like my boilerplate one re-done and modified. why is there extra trouble for NH? NFA is all completely %100 chill here and not regulated whatsoever so i can't imagine there are hoops to jump through. my boilerplate one was done when i was in MA, did it online, had some cash in my paypal balance, and the grand total was something like $89 bucks.

it's far from perfect and a real, breathing lawyer has never touched it or even looked at it--but it's been sufficient for a form 1 and a form 4 so far.

Based on my research $500 would probably get you a non-boilerplate/FTF type of NFA trust. Supply and demand at work? $500 seems a bit steep for a NFA-mill type GB.

Well it does say that it is a customized trust. Definitely interested, I'm hoping to set up a trust around the end of the month, but the fact that the NH one is $200 more than the MA one is a bit of a turn off. I know there are DIY type trusts that will probably work, but I don't really want to go that route.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well it does say that it is a customized trust. Definitely interested, I'm hoping to set up a trust around the end of the month, but the fact that the NH one is $200 more than the MA one is a bit of a turn off. I know there are DIY type trusts that will probably work, but I don't really want to go that route.
If all you need is a simple NFA trust without anything special (no oddball inheritance stuff, etc), then any of the website's offering form-fill trusts would be a step up from DIY Quicken Willmaker. I used guntrust dot com, currently $199, and have no major complaints with their product or service.

If you have any special needs or concerns, going with a real lawyer and a customized trust is worthwhile, but as mentioned previously, NH doesn't have laws around trusts and NFA that make things particularly difficult here.

To follow-up on this thread, our fee is $300 for New Hampshire NFA trusts, which includes counseling on terms to meet client goals, customized drafting, and general support during the ATF submission process.

Back
Top Bottom