• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

NH Man Charged With Poaching For Shooting Turkey With 9mm From Car Window

My neighbors little Toto dog got f***ed up by a turkey one year.
Ripped the little sucker up good with it's dew claw like a Velociraptor on Jurassic Park.
She didn't notice they were on her deck until she heard her dog yelping...

My neighbors little Toto dog got f***ed up by a turkey one year.
Ripped the little sucker up good with it's dew claw like a Velociraptor on Jurassic Park.
She didn't notice they were on her deck until she heard her dog yelping...
There are some very quiet .22 rounds on the market that should solve the turkey problem. Quieter than an air rifle, but hit a lot harder.

I can't imagine needing to shoot a turkey from a car. They routinely wander through my yard in huge groups and even just hang out all day. This year the main group was about 50 in size. I could bag one from the comfort of my back deck.

Oh, I have some CCI quiets, but my 120lb Lab would likely scare them off.
Wasn't sure of the brand. Thanks for the update! CCI is quality. My wife's 10/22 does its best work with the high-velocity rounds, like Stingers, but sometimes you need something more discreet. Glad we have so many options in rimfire ammo.

I went on a deer hunt in Maine a couple weeks ago and had spoken to a professional guide. He told me most deer in northern Maine are taken from the street…
My great uncle in downeast Maine always said hunting season was when the freezer was getting low, and rarely shot a deer from more than 50' away from his truck.

That's one of the amazing things to me in NH and VT, is that the legal distance to hunt or shoot near a road is 25' for VT and 15' for NH. I'm so used to the 300 foot rule in Mass that it seems crazy. I even asked a fish cop about it - "so if I'm driving and see a deer on non posted land, no house around, I stop and take out my gun, load it and take a couple big steps off the road and shoot, I'm legal?" "Yup"
I'm keeping a .45LC in my truck now, just in case. LOL

That's one of the amazing things to me in NH and VT, is that the legal distance to hunt or shoot near a road is 25' for VT and 15' for NH. I'm so used to the 300 foot rule in Mass that it seems crazy. I even asked a fish cop about it - "so if I'm driving and see a deer on non posted land, no house around, I stop and take out my gun, load it and take a couple big steps off the road and shoot, I'm legal?" "Yup"
I'm keeping a .45LC in my truck now, just in case. LOL
Mass is 150 feet from the road and 500 feet from a dwelling or occupied building.

Wasn't sure of the brand. Thanks for the update! CCI is quality. My wife's 10/22 does its best work with the high-velocity rounds, like Stingers, but sometimes you need something more discreet. Glad we have so many options in rimfire ammo.
I think you would have to manually cycle the bolt to chamber a round with the 10/22.
One of the things I like most about my Henry Golden Boy is that you can shoot damn near everything through it. It will hold 22 rounds of 22 short and 15 22lr. That's a whole lotta shooting between reloads. Now, it's not semi auto so you have to work the lever between shots, but it's probably the most fun rifle I own.

I'm chasing the dam things away from my car in the mornings, and that's park in front of an apartment building. It's gotten to the point where if I wanted one I could reach out and just grab it.
Same. SOBs are so close to the front door they're constantly setting off my doorbell camera. They sit on my driveway, and reluctantly move when drive up--like I'm inconveniencing them.

9mm? At my house, more like 9-iron.

Last edited:
That's why I picked up a .22 Air Rifle with a built in Silencer.
Mostly for the Resident Canada Goose season. Bag Limit
of 5 per day and 15 possession. They will do a 1" group
out to 100 yards. I think I can do a Head Shot at 50 ft.
No searching for Bird Shot through out the Meat. You
can usually get close enough for a head shot at Turkeys too.

Swapped the Air Tank for a 1.1L Carbon Fiber one and got a 9L
Carbon Fiber Tank to refill it in the field. There is also the Air Compressor
to refill the tanks to 4500 PSI.

Malodave
$870 plus the optic? Holy shit. I'd have to really f***ing like goose meat to spend that kind of money.

Same. SOBs are so close to the front door they're constantly setting off my doorbell camera. They sit on my driveway, and reluctantly move when drive up--like I'm inconveniencing them.

9mm? At my house, my like 9-iron.
I get a kick out of throwing golf ball sized rocks at them on my property. When I hit one, the rock bounces off of them and they fly away. One flies away and usually the rest go like lemmings. Its pretty easy to hit them as they let you get quite close, inside of 50 feet.

I can't imagine needing to shoot a turkey from a car. They routinely wander through my yard in huge groups and even just hang out all day. This year the main group was about 50 in size. I could bag one from the comfort of my back deck.

Several times I've heard police calls on the scanner about someone being trapped in their car because they were surrounded by turkeys acting aggressively. Typically it's a woman who comes home and finds she can't get from her car to her house because she's scared the turkeys will attack her.

Several times I've heard police calls on the scanner about someone being trapped in their car because they were surrounded by turkeys acting aggressively. Typically it's a woman who comes home and finds she can't get from her car to her house because she's scared the turkeys will attack her.
so you are saying this shooting might have been self defence

I kinda wish this would happen to me. I might finally fill a Turkey tag.

$870 plus the optic? Holy shit. I'd have to really f***ing like goose meat to spend that kind of money.
Don't forget the Two Carbon Fiber Air Tanks, the 4500 PSI compressor, and lots of Pellets.

Amazon product ASIN B07RWZB52GView: https://www.amazon.com/Pressure-Compressor-Auto-Stop-Electric-Paintball/dp/B07RWZB52G

Also Look at the Price of a FX Impact Air Gun:

Malodave

Not from your own house if your Neighbors and road are far enough away

I was responding that you cannot hunt within 150' of a hard surfaced road even from your own home. If your home is setback far enough, no issues unless your neighbors are too close.

I was responding that you cannot hunt within 150' of a hard surfaced road even from your own home. If your home is setback far enough, no issues unless your neighbors are too close.
I understand I think you just miss understood my response. I wouldn’t want to live under any of those setbacks.
And if I did I wouldn’t want to be near any neighbors that even cared.

Back
Top Bottom