NH/Maine LTC

Is my New Hampshire Non-Resident LTC good for Maine? I know New Hampshire and Maine are now permit less states but in order to carry in some Maine parks like Acadia you need a LTC.

The following statement is from the Maine State Police website:

"Resident permits issued by the following states will be recognized in Maine, and Maine permits held by Maine residents will be recognized in these states" with New Hampshire being one of the states.

When the Maine State police say "Resident" permits, does that include Non-Resident permits? What do you all say? Thanks.

No, NH non-resident license/permit doesn't allow you to carry in ME state parks or Acadia. If you want to carry in these locations and others, it requires a ME non-resident license. In addition, if you are without a ME non-resident license, you need to immediately inform a police officer that pulls you over on the road for whatever reason.
Notice to Applicants:

Effective October 15, 2015, Public Law 2015, Chapter 327 (LD 652), “An Act To Authorize the Carrying of Concealed Handguns without a Permit,” allows a person who is not otherwise prohibited from possessing a firearm to carry a concealed handgun in the State of Maine without a permit. This law also authorizes a person to possess a loaded pistol or revolver while in a motor vehicle, trailer or other vehicle being hauled by a motor vehicle.

Concealed carry without a permit is limited to people who are 21 or older, with the following exception: If a person is 18 years of age or older, and is on active duty in the Armed Forces of the United States or the National Guard, or has been honorably discharged from the Armed Forces or the National Guard, and is not otherwise prohibited from carrying a firearm, the person may carry a concealed handgun. A person who is 18-20 years old and without the referenced military qualifications must have a permit to carry concealed. The law applies to both residents of Maine and non-residents.

The law does not otherwise change where a person may carry or who may possess a firearm. It will still be illegal to possess a firearm in the following places, with some very limited exceptions:

• Courthouses (17-A M.R.S. § 1058)
  • State Parks (12 M.R.S. § 1803(6), (7) and Bureau of Parks and Lands Rules Chapter 1)
  • Acadia National Park (12 M.R.S. § 756)
  • Schools (20-A M.R.S. § 6552)
  • Federal buildings (18 U.S.C. § 930)
  • State Capitol area (25 M.R.S. § 2904 & DPS Rule Chapter 41)
  • Private property when prohibited by the property owner
  • Establishments licensed for on-premises consumption of liquor, if the premises are posted. Note that even if there is no posted prohibition, it is illegal to carry on these premises while under the influence of intoxicating liquor or drugs. (17-A M.R.S. §1057)
  • Wildlife Sanctuaries (as listed in 12 M.R.S. § 12707)
  • Labor disputes and strikes (32 M.R.S. § 9412(5))
  • Baxter State Park (as prohibited by Rules)
  • Allagash Wilderness Waterway (as prohibited by rule
http://www.maine.gov/dps/msp/licenses/weapons_permits.html

Last edited:
No, NH non-resident license/permit doesn't allow you to carry in ME state parks or Acadia. If you want to carry in these locations and others, it requires a ME non-resident license. In addition, if you are without a ME non-resident license, you need to immediately inform a police officer that pulls you over on the road for whatever reason.

OR a NH "Resident" license / any other "Resident" license recognized by Maine

Back
Top Bottom