NH & Maine Conceal Carry & Transport

Can a MA resident carry concealed in both NH and Maine with non-resident permit? Also can a MA resident bring other guns (rifles/shotguns) over to both states in locked cases?
I'm getting mixed answers figured my NES people can straighten it out.

Dude, you've spent too much time in Boston. You don't need a permit in either NH or ME, and anything you can have in MA is certainly OK in NH or ME, plus a lot of things that aren't ok in MA. And why would you lock it in a case? just leave it loaded on the seat..... [devil]

You can carry in both states with no permit. Constitutional carry don’t ya know? Sure you can transport them locked up. You can also throw them in the backseat unloaded and not worry about it too.

Try to not visit your warped MA view of gun laws when outside MA

Dude, you've spent too much time in Boston. You don't need a permit in either NH or ME, and anything you can have in MA is certainly OK in NH or ME, plus a lot of things that aren't ok in MA. And why would you lock it in a case? just leave it loaded on the seat..... [devil]
You can't have a loaded Long gun in a vehicle in nh. Additionally no fire arms (including handgins) can be loaded when carried on or in an off highway recreational vehicle on NH.

I figured, I just thought the fact that both states offer non-resident carry permits was contradictory.
In ME, a non-resident permit (and resident permit too for that matter) carries with it a few more benefits one would not otherwise have absent one. Carry in Acadia. Carry in most state parks. Being able to park in employee parking lot, etc.

Last edited:
I figured, I just thought the fact that both states offer non-resident carry permits was contradictory.
Non resident permit for Me allows for carry in Acadia National Park and means you do not have to inform police if stopped. In Nh the non resident permit allows carry on an off road vehicle.

No contradictions.

Yup, That’s where everyone gets confused. You hear about it, then you go to the website to verify and you see them offering nonresident permits still? it seems to make no sense. Just remember the duty to inform in Maine.

Yes, timberman, good point, the most important thing out of all this, in ME is the duty to inform upon any interaction with the po po, of which traffic stops would be the most common.

NR Maine permits are still a thing - more than 5,000 or so in force.

You can't have a loaded Long gun in a vehicle in nh. Additionally no fire arms (including handgins) can be loaded when carried on or in an off highway recreational vehicle on NH.
Can carry on OHRV with a NH pistol permit.

Boston_Shooter, the best place to get this type of information is to look it up on the state's website. While the answers posted here are correct, going to the website will get you the most up to date information. Constitutional carry also applies to Vermont.

Here's Maine's information: Concealed Carry in Maine | Maine State Police

The only limit in NH is that your rifle/shotgun can't be loaded while in or on a vehicle. No licenses required for anything.

Other than that, carry loaded, concealed, openly, taped to your forehead. Even if it's your silenced machine gun.

Does that mean that technically you can have an AR or AK "pistol" with a brace loaded in the car? That's how I interpret it anyway.

Back
Top Bottom