NH & Maine ATV Riding Thread

Zappa

Road Warrior
NES Member
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Is there a map that shows what trails are open to dirt bikes? We ride trails around Sunapee and it’s quite hit or miss.

When we stayed in Abbott, Maine, the trail markings were much clearer.
Not that I know of, the maps seem pretty vague about this.
Many of them leave you guessing as to which trails are only open during snowmobile season too, so you don't know for sure until you actually get out on the trails and see the signage. We ran into that situation last week on the trail to Dixville, the map showed a connecting trail that turned off and went West towards Colebrook, but when we got to the junction, the signage showed the trail was closed to bikes and ATV's.
The trails we saw in Western Maine last Saturday seemed better marked than the ones in NH, but they were mostly posted as being closed to motorcycles.

NH_Realtor

NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a map that shows what trails are open to dirt bikes? We ride trails around Sunapee and it’s quite hit or miss.

When we stayed in Abbott, Maine, the trail markings were much clearer.
https://www.nhstateparks.org/getmed...43-1dac37aa1b2b/ATV-Trail-Bike_Trails-Map.pdf

The one's marked TB. There aren't a ton unfortunately, seems like alot of landowners aren't friendly to the bikes but are cool with atv's.

ETA - looks like there's at least a couple over by you. I don't know if there's any maps of class 6 roads, but I used to ride those all the time over in Sanbornton.

Last edited:

GomerPile

NES Member
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
That trail can be tricky in places with steep dropoffs on one side. I drive like a grandma on those trails...I see no reason to die while riding.

DRT, Dead Right There, lol.
That's too bad. The News reported he was an experienced rider and was wearing a helmet. Shit, he was my age, very sad.

xjma99

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do they allow Rokons on trails during winter?
If you had tracks, some trails would allow, with dependent.

There are great trails in south central and western NH too, ask your club. I can ride for hours out my back door. In the winter, people not familiar with the snowmobile trails often end up in my back yard when they don’t see the signs. No big deal.

Zappa

Road Warrior
NES Member
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
For all you ATV/UTV/Snowmobile/OHRV riders in New Hampshire, as of 9/10/19, you must have at least one rear view mirror on your machine.
I heard about this in August and bought a set with handlebar mounts, they were only $20 on fleaBay.

NHOHVA

All OHRVs shall have at least one mirror showing the area to the rear of the OHRV. This shall not apply to trail bikes. (Effective September 10, 2019**)

xjma99

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For all you ATV/UTV/Snowmobile/OHRV riders in New Hampshire, as of 9/10/19, you must have at least one rear view mirror on your machine.
I heard about this in August and bought a set with handlebar mounts, they were only $20 on fleaBay.

NHOHVA
This is news to me. They should publicize it more!!! I have always wanted one on all my machines but never pulled the trigger. The side by has a rear view but the windshield flexes so much it’s almost useless. Rear views are a good idea but making it mandatory is very un-American.

Zappa

Road Warrior
NES Member
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
I always thought it was a good idea too, but never got around to it before.
There were several times when I've been startled by people coming up behind me really fast on the trails.
The only real problem is that I have to remove the mirror when I put the cover on the machine.

xjma99

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always thought it was a good idea too, but never got around to it before.
There were several times when I've been startled by people coming up behind me really fast on the trails.
The only real problem is that I have to remove the mirror when I put the cover on the machine.
I have an older Yamaha that has a threaded brake perch....I think that all used to growing up, you can just screw one in. Otherwise clamp on style that you can loosen and fold down.

Zappa

Road Warrior
NES Member
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
I see there have been no updates here since October, which is about the time I put the plow on my ATV and parked it.
Since we didn't get diddly for snow this Winter, I haven't even fired up the engine on it in over five months.
I only use the plow when we get a deep snowfall, or if it's the really heavy wet stuff.
What little snow we did get I handled with the snowblower, which is actually my preferred method, because I can do a cleaner job with it.
Anyway, Wednesday I figured it was about time to remove the plow for the season.
I pulled off the cover and the seat, then checked the air box for any little critters that may have made a nest in there, all clean.
Then I checked the oil, coolant and tire pressure, all was fine.
So then I turned on the gas, hit the start button.................and nothing.
Dead battery.
No big deal, I was prepared.
Years ago my buddy and I installed Anderson connectors on our machines to make it easy to connect an external the battery.
I hooked it up, and it started pretty easily, then let it run at idle and warmed it up a bit.
Then I backed it behind the shed, unhooked the plow, and then took it for a little blast down the street and gave some hard pulls on the brake lever to knock the surface rust off the rotors. All looked good.
The next thing to do was check inside the headlight pod to see if the mice had made another nest in there.
(see previous posts for pics of mouse nests I've removed form past seasons)
This time it wasn't so bad, yes, some mice did get in there, but the nest was relatively small and they didn't chew any wiring, so no repairs were necessary. I got that back together and went to fire it up again, but the battery was dead again. I didn't let it run to charge long enough. But since the engine was still warm, I pulled the rope starter, and it fired right up again. This time I let it run another 15 minutes to charge, but when I shut it off, the battery still didn't have enough cajones to restart the engine.
I ended up removing the battery and took it inside the house, where I checked it with a volt meter, it showed 11.5v, which is not very good.
I then checked my maintenance log to see how old the battery was, it showed I had last replaced it on 12/8/16, so it was older than I expected.
OK, so it may be time for a new battery, but I wanted to try and revive it first. (and save $50)
I hooked up to a charger and ran it at 2 amps for about 10 minutes, but the meter on the charger wasn't showing me that it was taking a charge.
I checked voltage again, this time it showed 11.9v, so this tells me it's taking something. I reconnected it and kicked the charger up to 6 amps and watched the meter, it started to move up slowley, so I left on at 6 amps for another 15 minutes, and watched the meter finally move up into the green zone. I checked voltage again, now it was showing 12.1v, which is encouraging. So then I kicked it back down to 2 amps and let it charge for about 6 hours. When I later disconnected it, the voltage was up to 12.9v, so I let it stabilize overnight, and it now shows 12.65v steady, which is good. Hopefully, I brought it back to life and I can get another season out of it.

Rating - 100%
19   0   0
I notice my wife’s front end of her Polaris was a little too loose so I did the bearings and ball joints over. Then I found the front left axle was broke at the joint. Just replaced that with a new replacement. Pretty easy job. The ball joints were a pain to work on. Anyways all 4 wheels going good now. I run a mini charger on the ATVs all winter. As well as my 71 454 montecarlo. 😊😊😊

Chris

NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Just east of Zone 9, but in Worcester County.
Put one of these on your list:

BatteryMinder

1586517904393.png

Not only is it a trickle charger, but it also does temperature compensated maintaining and pulses to break up any sulfur deposits. I keep my motorcycle hooked up to this when it sits. The battery in the motorcycle was made in 2013. I don't know what the age of the battery in my lawn tractor is, but it's even older and it gets plugged into one of these all winter.

We have a friend who took an extended trip last year. They had us go check their house and take the cars for a spin. We noticed that the older Honda was having trouble starting, so brought it home and plugged it in to one of these for several weeks. No more battery issues.

If your item is too far from an outlet, but you have sun, something like this:

Solar Maintaner

1586518305480.png

I have one of these on the big tractor. Keeps that battery ready to crank in any weather. Only gets sun for about 4 hours a day. That's really all it needs.

I've been debating about setting up something like this:

Solar Maintainer Station

1586519315011.png

You need to add your own panel (or buy the kit that the link goes to) and it isn't weatherproof, so you'll need to build a little shelter for the components, but this uses solar power to charge, maintain, and desulfate up to 4 batteries. A little shed with the panel(s) on top, and a bunch of jacks to basically park and plug. Keep the nice bike/ATV in the shed, park the other toys outside, and battery is maintained on all free with sunlight.

All my toys have one of these installed on them:

SAE Jack

1586519755487.png

Makes it easy to just grab a cord and plug it in. No taking anything apart to get to the battery. On my motorcycle I use this port for the BatteryMinder, my heated gear, and if I need to use the air compressor. For most installs, I've just cut the plug end and added eyes to wire it in along with one of these:

Fuse Holder

1586520409297.png

Most of them are not connected directly to the battery, but the rather, the hot side of the starter solenoid, and a solid ground. This leaves the battery terminals free of excess wires. I'm not that fond of crap all over the battery.

Anyway, there are some ideas.

Friday

NES Member
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Yeah, really should leave the battery on a tender over the winter if you're not going to be running it regularly. All my bikes have SAE plug pigtails accessible so the can be easily plugged into a tender as needed. The mower and splitter batteries come indoors and get switched back and forth every couple weeks to keep them topped up. Come spring, everything runs!

PatMcD

NES Member
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Modern machines have a very small draw on a battery whenever they are connected. Little batteries in ATV's, sleds, etc will get drawn down enough after a few months that they won't start. Disconnect them at the end of the season, or even better, pull them out and leave on a trickle charger.

powerman

NES Member
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
So then I turned on the gas, hit the start button.................and nothing.
Dead battery.
No big deal, I was prepared.
same hear on first bike I tried to start even though i throw them on a battery tender every couple of months
when this covid started, I order 3 batteries one of each type I need just incase the other two didn't run.

what do you know, today when i want to take my police interceptor crownvic today to go to bank and click click click.
now possible a car battery

my suggestion is order batteries that you may need or think you need. amazon had some good prices on AGM batteries

Zappa

Road Warrior
NES Member
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Update:
I reinstalled the battery today, although my efforts looked promising, the patient didn't recover.
I got a little over three years out of this one, which is about the average lifespan I've gotten out of the others.
The machine in 21 years old, I bought it new in 1999, so it's time for a new battery again.
Anyway, I put the battery in, it wouldn't start, so I jumped it from my jumper pack and left it connected and running for a bit while I worked on something else. The jumper pack has a built in voltmeter, so I took a peek at it while the motor was running and it was showing almost 18 volts! [shocked]
This is NOT good!
I checked again with my multi-meter and same thing, so it looks like I have voltage regulator issue going on here.
So I consulted Mr. Google and located the voltage regulator, thankfully it wasn't too tough to get to.
Then I got on fleabay and ordered one, along with a new battery.
The battery was $52 with free shipping, I decided to spend the extra $10 to get a Gel-Cell this time.
The voltage regulator was another $13, which was less than I expected.
Hopefully I'll have the parts here by the end of next week and I can get the machine ready to haul up North for the season.

Zappa

Road Warrior
NES Member
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
I put in the new battery and voltage regulator, I also installed an LED voltmeter on the instrument pod so I can monitor the voltage.
It's running right where it should be right now.

My buddy and I decided to let our NH registrations expire (6/30/20) without renewal this year.
We're registering in Maine this year, and as non-residents, it's actually a few dollars less than what NH charges for a Resident.
The Maine trails are also a lot closer to get to from our starting point in Effingham NH anyway.
We've already ridden most of the NH trails between Gorham and Dixville over the last several years, and to tell you the truth, most are boring as hell class 6 dusty gravel roads. Not really all that fun anymore, especially on hot and dry days with other traffic on the trails.
Also, we have to trailer the machines 60-100 miles just to get to the riding areas, which kills nearly half the day driving up and back.
The Maine trails are only a half hour drive to get to, and they offer a lot more variety of riding conditions.
Also, Maine lets non-residents register their machines online, and registration just opened today.
I just did mine two hours ago, I got #003.
Maine also gives you a 14 month registration for the same price, so I'm good now until June 30, 2021.
NH doesn't let you do that. If you weren't registered last year and wanted to ride in NH between now and the end of June, you'd have to pay full price, and then you'd have to pay full price again on July first if you wanted to continue riding again after that.
Overall, Maine seems to be the better place to ride.
Much more extensive trail system, greater variety of riding conditions, longer term and less expensive registrations, and (for us anyway) a lot shorter drive to get to the trails.

Note: I changed the name of this thread to the NH & Maine ATV Riding Thread

Last edited:
Top Bottom