• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

NH losing its pro gun mindset?

Most people I know are undeclared. It helps keep the phone calls down before the primary.
Yes you have to pay income tax to other states. My wife works at the shipyard and we have to fork over Maine income tax even though she commutes over bridges that NH pays to maintain.
Remember we are low tax but not tax free. Most everything is paid for via property tax and we enjoy jamming you with fees. If you want no taxes move to AK.

Hunting licenses go up most every year because its self funded and my deer tag helps to pay for morons who get caught above tree line in a tshirt. We don't hit you for sales tax on the first year of registration but we charge a good chunk every year. Heck I have to register farm tractors. Not to mention self employment tax.

I just heard that the last house was just sold in NH and there are no more. So give Vermont a try or something..... Oh, plus you guys moving from mass to NH is what is ****ing up our once free state. :)

You know, you're about the fourth NH'er I know who is complaining about how liberal NH is getting while at the same time actively dissuading pro-2A, conservative/libertarian-minded people from moving there. I have a guy at work who *hates* all the Ma**h***s who are ruining NH, but every chance he gets he tells me why I shouldn't move there. I understand that a lot of the idiots are moving up there, but you should be encouraging like-minded people to move up there. Especially since your other posts basically tell us that is what we should do(stand together, do not bend).

It seems like many of the 'redoubt' type states are turning loopy(OR, WA, VT, NH); it makes me wonder where you have to go to find people who will leave you the hell alone.

EVERY state has anti-gun elements. No exception. Generally centered around urban areas and college towns. The further you go away from the urban centers/college towns, the more normal things get.
If you feel your state (whichever it is) is going to hell, there is one good solution: support candidates that you agree with at all levels of elected office. If you can't find a candidate you can agree with, maybe you should run yourself. If you see a need for something, chances are there are a bunch of others who think like you.
Everybody forgets that in a representative democracy, the government is us.

If you can't find a candidate you can agree with, maybe you should run yourself.

Tried that - it doesn't work. Here's why: in order to be a major party's candidate for any office of significance, you have to follow the party's process for nomination, and candidates are STRICTLY vetted to maintain the status quo.

And yes, I've done the minor party thing, too. (Three guesses which.) Doing so places you at an insurmountable disadvantage.

Basically, the entire game is rigged.

It's called a tactical withdrawal. As bad as Ma. is NY is much worse IMHO.

And if people were to do it in size, it would make a difference. All those pro-gun control Moms and other folks who don't work might not miss me; they might not miss my guns - heck, they'd probably be glad to see me go. But they would sure as shit miss the $15-20k in income, property, excise, and sales taxes that I put into the coffers for the benefit of their kids and their free health care.

Do the math: if all 300,000 of us left(LTC holders), and took our families with us, the state would lose somewhere between $3 Billion and $10 Billion, depending on what you do, how much you make, where you live, etc, etc.

It's regulatory/legal arbitrage, and while it might look like you're running away, wealthy people and companies do this all the time. If you object to a law, you go somewhere it doesn't exist, thereby depriving the people who make the law of your productivity, and the income they would take from you. Look at all the people leaving France. How long do you think the 75% tax lasts when suddenly the state collects nothing because all the millionaires left? They don't just lose the marginal tax revenue, they lose all the tax revenue.

John Galt indeed.

Anyway, I'm in this fight with the rest of you, but you still have to consider and plan for your alternatives if any of this idiotic legislation goes through. Tonight I start writing letters for other people too lazy to do it themselves.

EVERY state has anti-gun elements. No exception. Generally centered around urban areas and college towns. The further you go away from the urban centers/college towns, the more normal things get.
If you feel your state (whichever it is) is going to hell, there is one good solution: support candidates that you agree with at all levels of elected office. If you can't find a candidate you can agree with, maybe you should run yourself. If you see a need for something, chances are there are a bunch of others who think like you.

I agree, while I take SpaceCritter's comment into account, and I may not be able to win, I can at least ensure incumbents who don't vote my way that I will be very involved in getting them out of office or leaving(and taking my income with me) if they pass laws I object to. The problem in my area(Middlesex) is that half the clowns run unopposed, and don't even spend any money to crush anything with an R next to its name. Plus, I'm pretty sure that the Dems/Reps have a common fund they use to support a Libertarian candidate every several years when one loopy enough to marginalize the party further comes around. The Greens and Independents don't need much help there.

Isn't NH legislature a part time gig? Why aren't more of us running?

I'm kind of dumb, and don't do to well with questions about my personal life, life but I think I would consider it when I get up there. (Assuming Derek can dump all my NES history. [laugh])

Tried that - it doesn't work. Here's why: in order to be a major party's candidate for any office of significance, you have to follow the party's process for nomination, and candidates are STRICTLY vetted to maintain the status quo.

And yes, I've done the minor party thing, too. (Three guesses which.) Doing so places you at an insurmountable disadvantage.

Basically, the entire game is rigged.

Do you live in NH? The game is certainly not rigged in NH. The law states you pay $200 or some super low number of signatures (like 100 or something) to have ballot access for the primary. That's IT. $200 for the senate primary, and governor, $100 for the US house, less for state positions.

Yes you need way more signatures (3000 for US senate) for general election ballot access, but it is still not rigged. The number of signatures required for ballot access for state positions like rep or senator is miniscule compared to the federal positions.

Yes you are pretty much SOL in Mass, but not in NH. Not by a long shot. NH's problem WRT people running for office is that we suffer from a good dose of apathy and those that do care typically have to work for a living and can't be in state government because it pays nothing (unless your governor). Most people just cannot afford to be away from work 20 hours a week during the weekday. Some like NES user Design have employers who are super flexible, but that is not the norm.

Yes you are pretty much SOL in Mass, but not in NH. Not by a long shot. NH's problem WRT people running for office is that we suffer from a good dose of apathy and those that do care typically have to work for a living and can't be in state government because it pays nothing (unless your governor). Most people just cannot afford to be away from work 20 hours a week during the weekday. Some like NES user Design have employers who are super flexible, but that is not the norm.
This... I believe it is 10K signatures, but it seems routine to give them 30K and for them to come back they could only validate 9,999 of them for some strange reason... [thinking]

Isn't NH legislature a part time gig? Why aren't more of us running?

I'm kind of dumb, and don't do to well with questions about my personal life, life but I think I would consider it when I get up there. (Assuming Derek can dump all my NES history. [laugh])

Design stated it is about 20 hours a week when they are in session. And that is during workday hours typically, not counting time to read bills etc. Is you employer that flexible? If so go for it. If not support your friends who do.

Design stated it is about 20 hours a week when they are in session. And that is during workday hours typically, not counting time to read bills etc. Is you employer that flexible? If so go for it. If not support your friends who do.

I don't know anything about it,I'm still a big eyed MA slave looking forward to leaving. I will keep that in mind when it comes to look for employment. It don't take a lot of brains to say no, a lot. What could possibly go wrong.

Back
Top Bottom