• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

NH losing its pro gun mindset?

My wife and I have been here since last July and love it here. I know plenty of people who save all year to spend a couple of weeks here in the summer. It was tough to to pull everything together and make this move but it's the best thing we ever did for ourselves. I hope like minded people continue to move here so we can have a stronghold. There are some moonbats but where I live everyone is gun friendly and tend to MTFB. Friendly and helpful but not minding what we do. I don't miss what I left behind, other than a few folks. They like to come and visit so it works fine by us.

I just heard that the last house was just sold in NH and there are no more. So give Vermont a try or something..... Oh, plus you guys moving from mass to NH is what is ****ing up our once free state. :)

NH needs NESrs more than anyone else. NH is extremely pro-gun and I haven't seen anything that would lead me to believe that it is going to change any time soon.

You are going to stand up and fight for what you believe in by running away? How does that work, exactly?
You always say things like this and I will never understand it.

I don't see why you feel somebody should be obligated to live under an oppressive government if they have the means to escape. MA, CA, NY, NJ, IL are absolute lost causes. We will always be playing defense in those states no matter what.

Hmmm, looks like Garandman ASKED questions, my first clue was the "?" at the ends.

I'm originally from MA, When I got engaged I told my then GF that one condition of moving to NH was that I WILL have firearms. LOL

I don't miss MA at all. I wish more like minded people from MA would move here instead of moonbats. The problem with southern NH is many of the moonbats that destroyed MA moved up here and now they are pushing their ideals on NH. Too bad many don't understand they are fleeing the very "paradise" they wanted. Reminds me of a really bad 50's alien invasion film where the aliens came here to use up the natural reasources from other planets then moved along to other worlds to conquer

I still can't get over that not one of the people I voted for got elected in the last election.

I posted earlier about moving to NH and got some responses. I realize you need to stand up and fight for what you believe in and NH seems to do that. Is the traditional NH mindset being changed for the worse by outsiders moving in? I am an outsider looking to move in and will leave my state of NY entirely behind. I will embrace everything about NH and its traditional values of liberty and small gov't. I am looking for responses from people that have resided in NH forever and see the state turning for the worse. I question my move beacause on other forums people say not to touch the northeast and pick a southern or western state., Live and let live is my motto. Thanks

I'm on my way up there as well. This was the response a buddy got from Rep Irwin in NH. Seems like a condescening C$%^$ to me but you judge for yourself. There are plenty of other freedom loving Americans going up there so I wouldn't be afraid to make the move. Fight the fight every day no matter where you are.

Thank you for your e-mail. I am trying to collect some data on how prevalent it
is that someone needs to defend themselves in their home or in public. Have you
had to draw your gun to defend yourself in your home? Did you ever find yourself
in a situation where you had to defend yourself or others and you could use an
alternative method rather than drawing your gun? Your replies will help me
understand the need for this bill a little better. Thank you.
Rep. Irwin

Please understand when you move up from mass you have to stop driving like a**h***s. That means you let people merge and enter traffic. All that shit you never used to do. You know who you are...

I moved here recently and find the mindset (in general, not just about firearms) is far better than most places in MA.

I need to look deeper at Maine next. Mostly due to applying for a position with a company up there this past week. It would be about 80 miles into Maine (just north of Freeport), so even further away from MA than I already am. :D

Hmm, I'm just north of Freeport

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk

My wife and I are both multi generation natives (3 and 5), but I have to say NH is changing quite fast. NH has also functioned differently from other New England states because of a few core beliefs. Self reliance, being active in local community,and keeping to yourself are what I really see as the important NH traits. And they are pretty much gone. We have thrived on very local involved gov, no one wants to serve on boards, and most communities are getting rid of town meeting because 4 hours a year to sit down and discuss issues is too much. I hate to say it but its guys moving up from MA whose kids are out of school that are really killing this. They are commuting back to Mass and have no time or interest to get involved in town. They don't want to pay for schools cause their kids are already out of school. But they want more cops and ambulances. The keeping to one's self, also includes being courteous to your neighbors. We don't have laws about noise and shooting "out back". But suddenly they are coming. People are moving up to 2 acres on a cudlesac and suddenly think think they live "way out in the country". And have no problem shooting for hours at a time. Mostly without a decent backstop. Here in Deerfield there have been multiple complaints about shooting for the last 2 years that we've never had before. So if you come up to a little lot please join a club there are plenty. Do I shoot at my place? Yes I do. But I've got over a 100 acres and an actual backstop.
Also if land isn't posted you can hunt it. However the tradition has always been to ask first. Again up til about 5 years ago this was never an issue. Both my parents farm and mine is now posted due to issues with people who just came up. Both of us will still let hunters out, but we want to know who you are. Most people coming up if they buy 10 acres will post it right off.

My wife and I are both multi generation natives (3 and 5), but I have to say NH is changing quite fast. NH has also functioned differently from other New England states because of a few core beliefs. Self reliance, being active in local community,and keeping to yourself are what I really see as the important NH traits. And they are pretty much gone. We have thrived on very local involved gov, no one wants to serve on boards, and most communities are getting rid of town meeting because 4 hours a year to sit down and discuss issues is too much. I hate to say it but its guys moving up from MA whose kids are out of school that are really killing this. They are commuting back to Mass and have no time or interest to get involved in town. They don't want to pay for schools cause their kids are already out of school. But they want more cops and ambulances. The keeping to one's self, also includes being courteous to your neighbors. We don't have laws about noise and shooting "out back". But suddenly they are coming. People are moving up to 2 acres on a cudlesac and suddenly think think they live "way out in the country". And have no problem shooting for hours at a time. Mostly without a decent backstop. Here in Deerfield there have been multiple complaints about shooting for the last 2 years that we've never had before. So if you come up to a little lot please join a club there are plenty. Do I shoot at my place? Yes I do. But I've got over a 100 acres and an actual backstop.
Also if land isn't posted you can hunt it. However the tradition has always been to ask first. Again up til about 5 years ago this was never an issue. Both my parents farm and mine is now posted due to issues with people who just came up. Both of us will still let hunters out, but we want to know who you are. Most people coming up if they buy 10 acres will post it right off.

I am a 25 year resident of the state and I also have watched the state change fast specially in the past 8 years or so. I am planing on moving south in the next few years, we have been looking into Arizona . The move is mainly because we want a little warmer climate but we also want to get away before the the state changes too much for the worse.

Thank you for greatly and accurately expanding on my "Ma**h*** driving" post. It's far more than just gun laws. It's a mindset. I once was way out in the middle of nowhere after a monster snowfall and came across a dude from mass buried waist deep with his suped up hot rod. Spent a half hour digging him out and he drive off into the sunset without even thanking me. Pretty standard behavior from most folks I cross paths with south of the border. I understand though. When your Government and your neighbors try everything they can to pull one over on you, why would you expect less from anyone else?

...It's far more than just gun laws. It's a mindset. I once was way out in the middle of nowhere after a monster snowfall and came across a dude from mass buried waist deep with his suped up hot rod. Spent a half hour digging him out and he drive off into the sunset without even thanking me. Pretty standard behavior from most folks I cross paths with south of the border....

Seems to be about par-for-the-course with them.

Please don't think that just the fact alone that you are pro-gun qualifies you as going to be an asset to our state. Unless you can honestly say to yourself that you wouldn't be bringing with you the typical narcissistic Mass attitude, you're probably not ever going to fit in up here, or feel truly welcome.

How about experience from farther north?

We're going to be building on the land we bought in Lisbon. Lisbon seems pretty down-to-earth. Sugar Hill/Franconia/... seem to have more than their fair share of cutie-pies. (An anti from Franconia has an opinion column in the last week's Littleton paper, f'r'nstance.)

How about experience from farther north?

We're going to be building on the land we bought in Lisbon. Lisbon seems pretty down-to-earth. Sugar Hill/Franconia/... seem to have more than their fair share of cutie-pies. (An anti from Franconia has an opinion column in the last week's Littleton paper, f'r'nstance.)

Where about in Lisbon? Lisbon is a big place land wise.

+10000000

Dill I could not agree with you more, I am another multi-generational native and although I would welcome more gun minded neighbors. It is all the rest of the baggage brought, sure you may think you want to simplify your life but as stated we don't feel the need to have a 1000 man police force for a town of 1000 or a fire department that is staffed full time.
Or roads that are paved.
Or a dump that is open 7 days a week

In other words you are welcome to come but please leave your Sh#T behind. NH is turning into northern Mass as it is if you just want liberal policy's with less strict gun laws may I introduce you to the state of Maine.

Dill and armedhiker cover it well, the rate of change in NH is concerning because of the people moving in, largely are changing it to be like 'where they came from'. I am not multi generational but my wife and I moved to NH during the Reagan boom- John Sununu Sr. running a balanced budget state. Yes moonbeams are all over NH now, and people vote them IN, such as Kuster over the honorable Charlie Bass. Where I live, the Hanover-Lebanon area has many moonbats there too.

Hunting and shooting sports are popular as well as CCW for defense, however many people moving in here have little to no prior experience nor tolerance. This general trend extends in society. Youth's who's parent would rather entertain them with video games as opposed to gun range action or hunting is an epidemic.
I'm writing to NH senators, House reps and encouraging all my friends to do so. Otherwise a late and loud, inconsiderate anti-gun rhetoric will effect NH.

Many (NH 2A'ers) have kept to themselves leading productive lives and are careful with the responsibility of firearm safety. Trouble is, we're not propagating that theme throughout society.

I've answered this personally by taking young people to the range for shooting targets and to learn gun safety. I learned from WWII vets and NRA courses and drill in the core safety.
I reach young people from NY, CT, NH and MA to spread the learning. They respond well , have fun and hopefully, I'm detuning the anti-gun domestication they might have received otherwise.

Generally, central and southern NH is very conservative/libertarian. In fact, I think most of NH is fairly libertarian with the exception of Portsmouth. Sure, the western part of the state has a heavy left-libertarian/Vermont influence, but generally speaking, it's pretty pro-gun.

How does northern NH fit into that?

I didn't... I was looking for a new job when I was looking to move. I found the place in Nashua and grabbed it before the contract I was on ended. If you can get a place within a reasonable commute to your job in MA, I'd do it. You can always look for another job that's closer to home after you've moved. IMO, it's better to move to a free state (MA is a lost cause) than remain where you are and suffer, bitch and moan about the state keeping you down.

BTW, had I known about the contract ending, where I was, I would have accepted another contract in Franklin, MA. I would have still moved to Nashua though. The job was for a later shift, so I would have missed most of the traffic.

I too am looking at moving to NH but will likely end up working in MA (at least for the foreseeable future). How does that work with taxes?

For what it's worth:

Democrat Registrations
1. Pinkhams' Grant, 50.000%*
2. Berlin, 45.538%
3. Gorham, 44.632%
4. Harrisville, 44.302%
5. Hanover, 44.302%
6. Portsmouth, 42.968%
7. Lyme, 41.050%
8. Winchester, 40.714%
9. Hart's Location, 40.000%*
10. Durham, 39.821%
- Keene was #12 with 39.130%.

Republican Registrations
1. Hale's Location, 59.677%.*
2. Bedford, 51.937%
3. Windham, 50.710%
4. Hillsborough, 48.097%
5. Alton, 46.625%
6. Monroe, 46.447%
7. Moultonborough, 45.428%
8. Candia, 45.095%
9. Sandown, 44.493%
10. Haverhill, 43.959%

Undeclared Registrations
1. Green's Grant, 100.000*
2. Wentworth's Location, 80.952%
3. Ellsworth, 79.412%
4. Cambridge, 66.667%*
5. Waterville Valley, 66.270%
6. Errol, 59.908%
7. Dorchester, 59.336%
8. Webster, 58.800%
9. South Hampton, 57.868%
10. Roxbury, 56.805%

Source: WMUR

* Very small populations with registered voters.
Bold are "southern" NH towns with high GOP registrations.

I live next two three towns in the "Top 25" w/ high GOP registrations. I think my perception of NH would change, if say, I lived somewhere between Durham, Dover and Portsmouth.

Last edited:
I too am looking at moving to NH but will likely end up working in MA (at least for the foreseeable future). How does that work with taxes?

You still get hosed on MA income tax unless you can telecommute (and your employer will back you up on documenting this to the thugs at MDOR).

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom