• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

NH Leg: 2 Gun Bill hearings Tues 3/26/2019

Folks 2 Gun Bills are being heard Tues 3/26/201 by the House Crim Just Cmte

HB 564 Gun Free School Zone Bill was voted OTP with amendment wrt people dropping off/picking up students. Being heard in Crim Just Cmte
03/26/2019 11:00 AM LOB Room 204

HB 696 Red Flag bill packed into an elderly protection bill which was heard by another cmte on 1/30 where we only had a couple people attend......we need to get turn out for these bills this tues 03/26/2019 10:00 AM LOB Room 204

:) are you and your calendar planning to attend?

We need turnout :)

I am not back to work yet, and there is nothing else on the calendar that day. So barring a family emergency, which seem to be common these days, I will be there.

They're on tues 3/26 as per my OP.....I must have had an extremely low blood caffeine level or there was a polar vortex when I mistakenly said in subsequent hearings were yesterday....

they were definitely yesterday, and today. From Terry Roy's FB update.

Here's a record of the insanity. NH needs Sununu more than ever to hold the line o this bullshit.

Legislative Update

We had a nine hour day at the State House today and the promise of going from 9AM 10PM tomorrow in order to finish the hundreds of newly proposed Democratic sponsored bills before the Constitutionally imposed Thursday deadline. I’m going to keep this one short and just hit the worst of the worst from today:

HB558, banning plastic straws. Passed. I voted no.

During debate we discovered that this Democrat bill is actually worse than the California version which exempts fast food restaurants. NH Dems say no straws for anyone unless you specifically ask for one. This bill is pure virtue signaling and will have next to zero impact on the plastics killing whales that the sponsored claimed, since it is already illegal in the US to dump trash in rivers or oceans.

HB560, banning plastic or paper bags. Passed. I voted no.

The same folks who took our paper bags away (they made great book covers) and forced us to go to plastic for the environment, are back and now their taking those too. Well not taking them exactly, IF a store wants to provide them they have to charge you .10¢ per bag. Oh and any store (whether they use plastic bags or not) that is larger than 10k square feet must supply a plastics recycling bin at their store and apparently at their expense.

CACR12, prohibiting an income tax. Killed. I voted yes.

This was a Republican proposed Constitutional Amendment that would have prohibited this or any future legislature from instituting an income tax.Dems said not so fast..

HB109, Background checks for everyone...literally everyone. Passed. I voted no.

This bill, under the guise of closing the non-existent “gun show loophole” actually mandates federal background checks anytime anyone hands a gun to someone else. Be it a firearms instructor with a student, a salesperson at a gun store or between you and your husband/wife/significant other. It does this ironically through a portion of the bill that is “supposed” to actually exempt private sales and “transfers” from the background checks. The Devil, as usual, is in the details. Here, see if you can catch it:

“159-E:3 Exception. This chapter shall not apply to a noncommercial, private sale, transfer, or exchange of a firearm between individuals, provided neither party to the transaction is a prohibited person. If the status of either party’s eligibility to own or possess a firearm cannot be ascertained, the transaction shall be completed through a licensed firearm dealer pursuant to RSA 159-E:2, II.”

Did you see it? “If the status of either party’s eligibility to own or possess a firearm cannot be ascertained...”

How can you with 100% certainty ascertain someone’s eligibility without running a background check? Answer: You can’t.

For example I have friends I’ve known for years. I invite them over for a cookout and want to shoot some guns. I’ve known them for 20 years and know that they haven’t been criminals so no problem right? WRONG. If one of my friends, unbeknownst to me, pled guiltily to an OUI back in college, he is a “prohibited person” and if I hand him my gun I’m now a felon. Same goes for the gun store owner who is asked to see an unloaded firearm for a potential sale. Technically, they don’t even have to be a prohibited person because if I didn’t get the background check first, I couldn’t have possibly ascertained their status. This bill was bought and paid for by Michael Bloomberg. The vote passed on mostly party lines with five Democrats joining us in opposition.

HB514 Establishing a 9-11 day waiting period to buy a gun. Passed
I voted no.

They call it a 7 day waiting period but weekends and holidays are exempted.

During testimony the sponsor told us this period is so that there was time to complete the background check. You know, the Instant Background check? Yeah that one...it’s instant. Oh and apparently guns are the only way people intent on suicide will do it and making them wait 9-11 days will save their lives. No proof of this, just lots of the usual vague “studies show” and “data proves”. Except, well it doesn’t actually. More smoke and mirrors. They first cite a number of gun suicides before a waiting period and then cite the “overall suicide” numbers are down after the waiting period law. See what they did there? More Bloomberg, more California, more Massachusetts. Less New Hampshire.

If you are against any or all of these bills please contact the Governor and ask him to veto. We have the numbers to uphold his veto and put a stop to the Californification of our great state.

https://www.governor.nh.gov/contact/index.htm

As always please look up the texts of these bills and form your own opinions. This update is my explanation of why I voted the way I did.

Just called Sununu's office, told them he needs to VETO all this nonsense. Plastic bag and straw bans? Waiting periods in NH? Background check to hand a gun to someone at the range? MA doesn't even have this BS. Is this bizarro world? insanity!

The house was in session yesterday and there were house votes on bills that committes had previously heard/submitted reports on.

There were no committee hearings of bills yesterday

The house passed all sorts of shit yesterday.....UBR, Waiting period bill.....straw and plastic bag restrictions.......full retard

10-4, my misunderstanding

Folks 2 Gun Bills are being heard Tues 3/26/201 by the House Crim Just Cmte

HB 564 Gun Free School Zone Bill was voted OTP with amendment wrt people dropping off/picking up students. Being heard in Crim Just Cmte
03/26/2019 11:00 AM LOB Room 204

HB 696 Red Flag bill packed into an elderly protection bill which was heard by another cmte on 1/30 where we only had a couple people attend......we need to get turn out for these bills this tues 03/26/2019 10:00 AM LOB Room 204

In.

I don't think the majority of gun owners in NH know what is going on in their statehouse. We had thousands of gun owners show up to protect our rights here in RI.

Somehow the word has to be spread throughout NH. I think one of the biggest problems is the distance some people need to travel to be at the statehouse.

This is very important to your freedom.

I don't think the majority of gun owners in NH know what is going on in their statehouse. We had thousands of gun owners show up to protect our rights here in RI.

Somehow the word has to be spread throughout NH. I think one of the biggest problems is the distance some people need to travel to be at the statehouse.

I agree, It seems like this doesn't have the amount of outrage it should have. Which leads me to believe many people have no idea whats going on. Even besides all the foolish gun control nonsense. Banning plastic straws? that's just flat out California level full retard stuff.

I thought I read something saying they voted to ban wood stoves also . . crazytown.

In NH, with the Democrats passing #TaxationIsTheft type income tax bills, we, the Gun owners, have managed kill both anti-gun Constitutional amendments, tabled one anti-gun school bill and retained 2 anti-gun bills (Gun range closure and the first red flag bill)

While we have not killed everything we are not falling apart.

Now back to the issue at hand, we need to step it up and kill these last two! EVERYONE NEEDS to plan to be there on the 26th

PS. They even voted to ban plastic bags and straws...

I thought I read something saying they voted to ban wood stoves also . . crazytown.
House voted Peter Schmidt's "wood stove bill" (HB290) as ITL, so that's dead. Peter sponsored a mess'o' progressive wishlist bills, pretty much all have suffered that same fate.

So does all this garbage now go to the state senate, or has that already happened?
Goes to state senate. See here: How a Bill Becomes a Law | New Hampshire Almanac | NH.gov

Not from NH, but if you post all your social media info (Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, other?), will help get your message(s) out that way.

Not from NH, but if you post all your social media info (Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, other?), will help get your message(s) out that way.

Working on learning social media. In the mean time we are starting to share graphics and photos and alerts that people can forward.

Agreed. When I started a shooting club at Plymouth State, I specifically told the gun club we partnered with that I wanted the shooting club and the gun club to work together for the purpose of 2A activism to support good bills and fight bad bills. Their answer, on their first response to me, was that they do not do any activism because of how the club is structured for tax purposes. This is a big club too, bigger than Wallum Lake or Tiverton in RI in terms of size or membership. How can club members know about what to do and how to respond when their clubs refuse to be active?

RI has the benefit of four gun groups working together that have experience with these types of hearings going back to at least 2011, 2012, if not going back decades with the leadership (Frank Saccocio, RI Rifle and Revolver). The big thing for RI I think now is that Federated (for non-RI'ers, the group that the vast majority of gun clubs work with/answer to) is fully on board. So the RI clubs are much better informed than the clubs in NH, in my experience.

But, to add to that, NH shooters are less likely to be gun club members.

I agree, It seems like this doesn't have the amount of outrage it should have. Which leads me to believe many people have no idea whats going on. Even besides all the foolish gun control nonsense. Banning plastic straws? that's just flat out California level full retard stuff.

From when I lived in NH, no, I don't think most gun owners know very much about what's going on.

The hearings on 2/13 were packed and flowed out into the hallways
The red flag bill that was retained by crim just cmte was moved to the house floor where testimony went on for over 5 hrs to a full house crowd.......thats over 400 people
This thread is about the two bills coming up tues 3/26

Please restrict posts to those two bills

Just to give you NH guys context, the big RI hearings attract 3000 (last year) to 3500 (this year) pro-gun people and hearings go from 3pm to 12:30am and later. Your State House is smaller than RI's but you guys have a bigger shooting community and population. VT hearings attracted around 1000 people when they enacted their mag ban.

But, to add to that, NH shooters are less likely to be gun club members.
In my experience, NH shooters under 50 and/or new to the state tend to be gun club members, just because it's difficult to find an available sandpit, so unless you have a few acres of your own, the best way to get a place to shoot is to join a nearby F&G club.

My club is very politically active, but it's the exception, not the rule.

Just to give you NH guys context, the big RI hearings attract 3000 (last year) to 3500 (this year) pro-gun people and hearings go from 3pm to 12:30am and later. Your State House is smaller than RI's but you guys have a bigger shooting community and population.
As mentioned, geography is part of the issue -- when I (briefly) lived in Rhode Island, I could see the statehouse out my window. Now I can see the lights of Concord on a clear night, but it's still about an hour drive.

Certainly complacency is a factor, in NH we're unaccustomed to being on the defensive.

Everything is within reach of the computer and smart phones. Use the tech, guys!
You're assuming the state reps (mostly Boomers and Gen X) are receptive to messages coming in from smart phones, or that (D) reps actually care what their pro-gun constituents think.

The hearings on 2/13 were packed and flowed out into the hallways
The red flag bill that was retained by criminal justice committee was moved to the house floor where testimony went on for over 5 hrs to a full house crowd.......thats over 400 people

You're assuming the state reps (mostly Boomers and Gen X) are receptive to messages coming in from smart phones, or that (D) reps actually care what their pro-gun constituents think.

No, I'm talking about getting word out to the people of NH. They all have smart phones, and are not hearing a peep about this issue on them. Give them the info!!!!!!!!!!!

State Reps want to stay in office, so contacting them about an issue, especially in a swing district matters.

No, I'm talking about getting word out to the people of NH. They all have smart phones, and are not hearing a peep about this issue on them. Give them the info!!!!!!!!!!!
Share this photo. NHFC is emailing and will have out another email today. The Upcoming hearings on Tuesday are important to let others know about.
Design

Crossover bill status v2.png

Let’s for a moment accept everything the gun control advocates say about waiting periods
1. Suicide rates are skyrocketing in NH (25162 in the US Gun Deaths Dropped in 2018, Excluding Suicides )
2. Studies show waiting periods save lives : Up to 1660 lives could be saved from firearms suicides based on From the Cover: Handgun waiting periods reduce gun deaths
3. 1660/25162 = 6.7%

So the the most important and effective change we could make by mandatory waiting periods would prevent 1 in 15 suicides by firearms - seriously?

It’s a start they say, as always. But if the most effective law can address just 1 in 15, how many more laws to address 1 in 10? By their own data they prove they are barking up the wrong tree and *only* enacting gun laws for the sake of gun control rather than their stated purpose - preventing firearms suicides. Suicidal depression is not treated by gun control.

There’s a 1 in 15 chance this drug with cure your disease, there’s a 1 in 15 chance replacing these parts in your car will fix it, there’s a 1 in 15 chance retiring your house will stop electrical failures. NOBODY accepts 1 in 15 as anything other than cause to reject and move on...

Back
Top Bottom