NH Law to ban Hand Held Cell Phone Use While Driving

soloman02

NES Member
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
It is worse than that. It bans anything that sends OR receives data.

GPS is now banned (especially if you use a phone for GPS like me).

If you make a momentary stop, like at a stop sign or stop light, still BANNED.

Based on the wording, it could be argued that this bill makes adjusting the radio station illegal (since it receives data) provided "the driver does not have to divert his or her attention from the road ahead."

http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/legislation/2014/HB1360_HA.html

NH already has the "toughest" distracted driving law in the country!!! See RSA 279 and the definitions of "Reckless" and "Negligent."

We already have a texting ban (which I only found out about due to this bill).

This bill is an outright infringement on liberty and it will not change anyone's behavior in the slightest.

Also, the bill that passed was an amendment that removed the exemptions on truckers and police (and fire and EMT).

$100 says that if this passes the senate, NO COP WILL EVER BE TICKETED. I see cops on their cell phone all the time while in their cruisers driving.

There is an exemption for "hand free" bluetooth devices.

Here is the bill docket: http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/bil...&txtsessionyear=2014&txtbillnumber=HB1360&q=1

Cowgirlup

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quote:
Based on the wording, it could be argued that this bill makes adjusting the radio station illegal (since it receives data) provided "the driver does not have to divert his or her attention from the road ahead."

I see people all the time who cannot talk to their front seat passenger without looking at them. The are usually goin way under the posted limit and end up being a hazard.

When I worked for AAA years ago they did a survey that concluded cell phones were no more of a distraction than other things, like kids in the car, or trying to eat, put on make up or whatever while driving. I suppose in the many years since that came out cell phone use is even more common so the ranking could be higher in a newer study.

I wonder how many accidents will be caused while people suddenly try to get off the road to answer the phone?

soloman02

NES Member
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
What god damn state did I move to? How can we kill this nanny state bullshit?
Click the links in my signature.

If you cannot run for office due to not being a resident for 2 years by November 4, run as a delegate AND (this is key) VOLUNTEER TO HELP WITH A STATE REP CAMPAIGN.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Quote:

I see people all the time who cannot talk to their front seat passenger without looking at them. The are usually goin way under the posted limit and end up being a hazard.

When I worked for AAA years ago they did a survey that concluded cell phones were no more of a distraction than other things, like kids in the car, or trying to eat, put on make up or whatever while driving. I suppose in the many years since that came out cell phone use is even more common so the ranking could be higher in a newer study.

I wonder how many accidents will be caused while people suddenly try to get off the road to answer the phone?
I don't doubt that all of those things are incredibly distracting, but the vast majority of us aren't eating while driving every time we are in a car. Same with driving with kids or applying makeup. The fact that phones and the rules of etiquette surrounding phones is changing dramatically to the point that it is expected that you should be reached at all times. Now we have a bunch of dumbass kids that are addicted to blinky screens and can't help buy fiddle around will driving everywhere they go.

And anyone suddenly pulling off to answer the phone is equally as incompetent as the person driving around while fiddling on their phone. People need to stop being selfish pricks on public property. Live free on your own property but don't risk the safety of others in a shared space.

Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I don't doubt that all of those things are incredibly distracting, but the vast majority of us aren't eating while driving every time we are in a car. Same with driving with kids or applying makeup. The fact that phones and the rules of etiquette surrounding phones is changing dramatically to the point that it is expected that you should be reached at all times. Now we have a bunch of dumbass kids that are addicted to blinky screens and can't help buy fiddle around will driving everywhere they go.

And anyone suddenly pulling off to answer the phone is equally as incompetent as the person driving around while fiddling on their phone. People need to stop being selfish pricks on public property. Live free on your own property but don't risk the safety of others in a shared space.
I eat a bagel every weekday on my way to work safely, responsibly, still a better driver while devouring carbs than most
victim-less crime

RHJJ

NES Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I drive trucks for a living, and see all kinds of crap. Some can drive with a cell phone and have no problem. Then you have the idiots going 45 or 50 on the highway on the phone. I think the phone makes a shitty driver a complete hazard.

Top Bottom