NH land for shooting question.

Hi folks,

I don't know if this is the right section, if not Mod can you place it in the right spot. Thanks.

I was talking to a friend and he bought some land in PA, i think 9 acres, for shooting his rifles. Not a bad idea but I rather buy something in NH.

I did a google search and came up with a few. The tax rate has to be cheap. I don't plan on building anything. I just want something I can shoot longer then my clubs max which is 150 yds.

So my question is, what should I be looking for? I don't want to spend crazy money. Maybe $20k max. Travel time from Windham, maybe 3 hours max.

Thanks for any help.

Hi folks,

I don't know if this is the right section, if not Mod can you place it in the right spot. Thanks.

I was talking to a friend and he bought some land in PA, i think 9 acres, for shooting his rifles. Not a bad idea but I rather buy something in NH.

I did a google search and came up with a few. The tax rate has to be cheap. I don't plan on building anything. I just want something I can shoot longer then my clubs max which is 150 yds.

So my question is, what should I be looking for? I don't want to spend crazy money. Maybe $20k max. Travel time from Windham, maybe 3 hours max.

Thanks for any help.

Up in carrol county lands like 1-1500 $ an acre generally good nh land for sake there's reality websites that handle just land.

Save some cash join Harvard sportsman's club and shoot at the 200/300 range. I do like the idea of "private" property shooting.

Thanks for the info guys.

Yes, Land Watch is what I was reading up on. I found a few but the price range jumped to $30k though.

Kevin and I have been spouting this on several threads now, If you are only going to buy 9 acres, you are going to pay developed rate for RE taxes. So you really should be looking at buying at least 12 plus acres, so that if decide at a future time that you wish to build a house there you will still have the 10 acres that you need to have in current use. Do your homework on this.

Interesting. Ill have to do some more research on this. Thank you.

My top considerations, after purchase price, for space to shoot in NH are access, taxes (current use) and compact area.

Cheap land is generally cheap for a reason, usually because it's unsuitable for development. This often means wetlands and/or a flood plain. Definitely check the FEMA flood maps for any plot you're considering. While you might think that wetland status doesn't matter much when 90% of the space is just open air for your bullets to fly over, it does impact potential resale value, plus wetlands means blood sucking insects of all types.

I've never had much luck with Land Watch, NNEREN has some pretty good search options for hunting down large lots.

Last edited:
Kevin and I have been spouting this on several threads now, If you are only going to buy 9 acres, you are going to pay developed rate for RE taxes. So you really should be looking at buying at least 12 plus acres, so that if decide at a future time that you wish to build a house there you will still have the 10 acres that you need to have in current use. Do your homework on this.

This.

If 10 acres doesn't have a building on it, it qualifies for "current use" taxes will be in the low hundreds.

Go to craigslist and search "current use" under real estate and boom; cheap land.

Real estate agent here... regarding taxes, some of the lowest rates around area Moultonborough, Ossipee, Conway area, Bartlett and Jackson. Some of the towns up in Coos county are cheap land but high tax rate, but as other's have mentioned if you have most of it in current use you can keep taxes pretty low. The farther up north you go the cheaper it is. Typically you could also plop a little hunting cabin or something like that and still get away with current use, just put no trespassing signs on you property. Keeps the tax assessor at bay...

Real estate agent here... regarding taxes, some of the lowest rates around area Moultonborough, Ossipee, Conway area, Bartlett and Jackson. Some of the towns up in Coos county are cheap land but high tax rate, but as other's have mentioned if you have most of it in current use you can keep taxes pretty low. The farther up north you go the cheaper it is. Typically you could also plop a little hunting cabin or something like that and still get away with current use, just put no trespassing signs on you property. Keeps the tax assessor at bay...

Thanks for chiming in.

So I'm hearing the word "current use" a lot. Is that how the land is deeded? Is that what I have to look for? Also, Is that the term used when you don't have plans to build on it? Which I don't.

Thanks

Current use is a tax status that you can put so called "unused" land into. It taxes said land at a lower rate than a spot where there is a residential or commercial building. For instance, if you buy 15 acres of land with no building, the land can be put in to current use status with the town. One would have to file with the town to put it in current use and pay a transfer fee (which I forget the exact amount at the moment). Now say you wanted to build a home on that land, you could take 2 acres out of current use, again pay the transfer fee on just the 2 acres, and build your home. Now part of your land (2 acres) would be taxed at whatever the full town rate is, and the other 13 acres would be at the lower current use rate.

When searching for land on it's own, it is important know if it is in current use already or if you would have to apply and pay the transfer fee after the sale. You don't need something to be in current use, but it will save some $$ if it is already in current use and you don't have to fiddle with the town. Some towns and their government employees aren't exactly the easiest to work with.

The current use has nothing to do with the deed, it is just a tax status with the town. In order to put a tract of land in to current use it must be a minimum of 10 acres. If you were to consider eventually building on the land ( provided it is build able ) you would want to buy at least 11 acres, most likely a bit more.

Let me know if I can help out in any way or answer any other questions.

Current use is a tax status that you can put so called "unused" land into. It taxes said land at a lower rate than a spot where there is a residential or commercial building. For instance, if you buy 15 acres of land with no building, the land can be put in to current use status with the town. One would have to file with the town to put it in current use and pay a transfer fee (which I forget the exact amount at the moment). Now say you wanted to build a home on that land, you could take 2 acres out of current use, again pay the transfer fee on just the 2 acres, and build your home. Now part of your land (2 acres) would be taxed at whatever the full town rate is, and the other 13 acres would be at the lower current use rate.

When searching for land on it's own, it is important know if it is in current use already or if you would have to apply and pay the transfer fee after the sale. You don't need something to be in current use, but it will save some $$ if it is already in current use and you don't have to fiddle with the town. Some towns and their government employees aren't exactly the easiest to work with.

The current use has nothing to do with the deed, it is just a tax status with the town. In order to put a tract of land in to current use it must be a minimum of 10 acres. If you were to consider eventually building on the land ( provided it is build able ) you would want to buy at least 11 acres, most likely a bit more.

Let me know if I can help out in any way or answer any other questions.

Great information. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom