1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

NH Hiking (w/in 2 hour drive of Boston)

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Greschner 4, Oct 20, 2013.

1. Greschner 4

Greschner 4

I didn't grow up as a hiker, skier, or camper. It was hockey 24/7 both as a kid and a parent. At any rate, my wife and I did our first hike this weekend (Mt Kearsarge in NH) and really enjoyed the workout and experience. I'd appreciate any advice on other day climbs that are within a 2 hour drive from Boston. Not looking for something ridiculously technical, just a good climb (with great vistas) that can be completed, roundtrip, within 3-4 hours.

2. Oldarmy

Oldarmy

3. jasons

jasons Moderator Moderator NES Life Member NES Member

Mt. Monadnock is always fun, might be a bit more than a 2 hour drive though. Pawtuckaway state park is OK and closer, but the views aren't as good. (Take the fire tower trail.)

1 person likes this.
  4. Rancho

Rancho

Monadnock is great !
    Mt wachusett is good too.

If you want to try overnights the great gulf wilderness is nice. its at the base of mt. washington . You can camp in the gulf and hike all the presidential mountains.
    Pm any questions

Last edited: Oct 20, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  5. Babo

Babo

Mt. Lafayette is only about 2:30 hours from Boston. Well worth the extra drive and it approximates real hiking pretty well. Lots of hiking options in that area.

I did the Franconia Notch loop with 15 Boy Scouts this weekend and camped at Lafayette place.

Sent from my 3 watt bag phone.

2 people like this.
  6. Evadd

Evadd NES Member

Mt Major in Alton fits the bill for what you're looking for. I've only gone up/down the Brook Trail route. It's got a few short steep areas but isn't overly strenuous by any means. The Mt Major route is steeper but shorter distance.

http://www.hikenewengland.com/Major000506.html

1 person likes this.
  7. SteelShooter

SteelShooter NES Member

Any of the above are great options, throw on a 50 pound backpack for more of a workout, it can even make walking the local golf course a good workout.

8. Greschner 4

Greschner 4

I'm on the "back nine" to be wearing a 50lb pack. I did wear a 25lb pack at Kearsarge and that was a perfect workout (for me).

9. Picton

Picton NES Member

Mt Chocorua is my favorite NH climb, but it's a bit further than 2 hours from Boston.

1 person likes this.
  10. MWL556

MWL556

If you find yourself catching the "bug" after your first few hikes, look in to the 4000 Footers Club... A good amount of those peaks are within 2.5 hours from Boston.

It's a pretty cool way to set some goals out there in the Whites, while getting a killer workout. I just knocked out my 28th last weekend and plan to grab a few over the winter!

Pretty great/simple pastime to pick up. Just get yourself a good, water resistant AMC map, do some research on the right gear (depending on your hiking season), safety tips, and advice for different routes to take to get these summits "in the bag"... some of the +5000 foot peaks have a lot of exposure, so making sure you're well-equipped and have a solid handle on the day-of-hike weather is a must. The reward of getting to the top of most of these peaks is unreal.

Good luck and be safe!

3 people like this.
  11. June4th

June4th NES Member

1 person likes this.
  12. schnips

schnips

Over the summer I climbed Sandwich and Moosilauke (I probably spelled that wrong). I would really love to get into it more next year.

1 person likes this.
  13. ntomsw

ntomsw Banned

Mount Monadnock. I live a mile away and its beautiful.

14. jaypap

jaypap NES Member

Another vote for Monadnock I did it Thursday with my sons school.

It offers a little bit of everything and last week was the best weather we ever had up there.

1 person likes this.
  15. MWL556

MWL556

Moosilauke is an awesome hike! Can be kind of hairy going up the ladders next to the river when it's wet, but definitely one of the cooler summits.

Grabbed this shot last December on a sunset hike.... 4000' sunset hikes are highly recommended if you've got a solid headlamp, and have your trusty carry piece on your side for those little critters who like to make their rounds after dark.

1203121553a.jpg

16. Billsail

Billsail NES Member

Monadnock is a relatively easy climb and it has fantastic views owing to the low timberline.

Monadnock's bare, isolated, and rocky summit provides expansive views. A number of hiking trails ascend the mountain, including the 110-mile (180 km) Metacomet-Monadnock Trail and the 50-mile (80 km) Monadnock-Sunapee Greenway.[4]
    It remains clear largely because of fires set by early settlers. The first major fire, set in 1800 to clear the lower slopes for pasture, swept through the stands of virgin red spruce on the summit and flanks of the mountain. Further fires and hurricane damage left the forests a tangle of fallen timber. Between 1810 and 1820, local farmers, who believed that wolves were denning in the blowdowns, set fire to the mountain again. The conflagration raged for weeks, destroying the topsoil and denuding the mountain above 2,000 feet (610 m).[5]

1 person likes this.
  17. fred2386

fred2386

+1000 to Mt Monadnock. It's the third most climbed mountain in the world according to their website.

1 person likes this.
  18. PappyM3

PappyM3 NES Member

Monadnock is overrated and crowded. That said, it is one of the better views in southern New England and definitely worth a summit at least once. Mt. Major is another good option for the hiking time-frame you're looking for.

My personal recommendation is Mt. Lafayette and the Franconia Ridge going across Lincoln and Haystack. It will probably take a little longer than the 3-4 hours you're looking for and is a little further than 2 hours from Boston, but it's still a day hike and is immediately off of 93. Just start early. For views, it's hard to beat. You'll have absolutely amazing views across the entirety of the ridge, given a lack of low clouds. It's my favorite NH hike so far.

[​IMG]

19. quincy

quincy NES Member

This is a great hike but you better be in very good physical shape. I've done it many times. If I did it now, I would need 12 to carry me down.

1 person likes this.
  20. Greschner 4

Greschner 4

Awesome feedback.

21. Billsail

Billsail NES Member

22. el duderino

el duderino NES Member

This. The best new hampshire hikes are closer to 3 hours from boston. Western mass has a couple good ones, mt greylock is nice.

23. tele_mark

tele_mark

I lead about 20 people on a 1 day hike of the Wapack Range a few years ago, and various parts were my personal hiking and climbing gym for years. 12 hours up on the Ridge will prepare you for anything you'll encounter in the North East. Especially if you make a bee line for it in a Nor' Easter, solo.