• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

NH-HB1608 "Standard Capacity Magazine Ban of 2020"

FYI,

Bill title is: prohibiting the manufacture, sale, transfer, and possession of large capacity ammunition feeding devices.

Its essentially a copy of the Vermont bill that passed a couple years ago......rifle mags limited to 10 rnds and pistol 15......

Hearing scheduled for Wed 02/12/2020 01:00 pm LOB 204

This is a critical pile of ignorance that we need everyone to turn out for.....

I see this floating around my social media feed.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200208-111605_Instagram.jpg
    Screenshot_20200208-111605_Instagram.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 56
HB 1608-FN - AS INTRODUCED

2020 SESSION

20-2144

04/06

HOUSE BILL 1608-FN

AN ACT prohibiting the manufacture, sale, transfer, and possession of large capacity ammunition feeding devices.

SPONSORS: Rep. Conley, Straf. 13; Rep. Vann, Hills. 24; Rep. Vail, Hills. 30; Rep. Horrigan, Straf. 6; Rep. Chase, Straf. 18; Rep. Meuse, Rock. 29; Rep. Josephson, Graf. 11; Rep. Kenney, Straf. 6; Rep. Frost, Straf. 16

COMMITTEE: Criminal Justice and Public Safety

-----------------------------------------------------------------

ANALYSIS

This bill prohibits the manufacture, sale, transfer, and possession of large capacity ammunition feeding devices.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Explanation: Matter added to current law appears in bold italics.

Matter removed from current law appears [in brackets and struckthrough.]

Matter which is either (a) all new or (b) repealed and reenacted appears in regular type.

20-2144

04/06

STATE OF NEW HAMPSHIRE

In the Year of Our Lord Two Thousand Twenty

AN ACT prohibiting the manufacture, sale, transfer, and possession of large capacity ammunition feeding devices.

Be it Enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives in General Court convened:

1 New Chapter; Large Capacity Ammunition Feeding Devices. Amend RSA by inserting after chapter 159-D the following new chapter:

CHAPTER 159-E

LARGE CAPACITY AMMUNITION FEEDING DEVICES

159-E:1 Definitions.

I. "Large capacity ammunition feeding device" means a magazine, belt, drum, feed strip, or similar device that has a capacity of, or that can be readily restored or converted to accept:

(a) More than 10 rounds of ammunition for a long gun; or

(b) More than 15 rounds of ammunition for a hand gun.

II. The term "large capacity ammunition feeding device" shall not include:

(a) An attached tubular device designed to accept, and capable of operating only with, .22 caliber rimfire ammunition;

(b) A large capacity ammunition feeding device that is manufactured or sold solely for use by a lever action or bolt action long gun or by an antique firearm as defined in RSA 159:1 or

(c) A large capacity ammunition feeding device that is manufactured or sold solely for use with a firearm that is determined to be a curio or relic by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives. As used in this chapter, "curio or relic" means a firearm that is of special interest to collectors by reason of some quality other than its association with firearms intended for sporting use or as offensive or defensive weapons.

159-E:2 Large Capacity Ammunition Feeding Devices Prohibited.

I. No person shall manufacture, possess, transfer, offer for sale, purchase, or receive, or import into this state a large capacity ammunition feeding device. For the purpose of this section, "import" shall not include the transportation back into this state of a large capacity ammunition feeding device by the same person who transported the device out of state if the person possessed the device on or before the effective date of this section.

II. A person who violates this section shall be guilty of a class A misdemeanor.

III. This section shall not apply to a large capacity ammunition feeding device:

(a) Lawfully possessed on or before the effective date of this chapter.

(b) Lawfully possessed by a federal firearms licensee pursuant to 18 U.S.C. Section 921, et seq.

(c)(1) Manufactured for, transferred to, or possessed by the United States or a department or agency of the United States, or by any state or by a department, agency, or political subdivision of a state;

(2) Transferred to or possessed by a federal, state, county, or municipal law enforcement officer certified as a law enforcement officer for legitimate law enforcement purposes, whether the officer is on or off duty;

(3) Transferred to a licensee under Title I of the Atomic Energy Act of 1954 for purposes of establishing and maintaining an on-site physical protection system and security organization required by federal law, or possessed by an employee or contractor of such a licensee on-site for these purposes, or off-site for purposes of licensee-authorized training or transportation of nuclear materials;

(4) Possessed by an individual who is retired from service with a law enforcement agency after having been transferred to the individual by the agency upon his or her retirement, provided that the individual is not otherwise prohibited from receiving ammunition;

(5) Manufactured, imported, transferred, or possessed by a manufacturer or importer licensed under 18 U.S.C. Section 923, et seq.

(A) For the purposes of testing or experimentation authorized by the United States Attorney General, or for product development;

(B) For repair and return to the person from whom it was received;

(C) For transfer in foreign or domestic commerce for delivery and possession outside the state; or

(6) Transported by a resident of another state into this state for the exclusive purpose of use in an established shooting competition if the device is lawfully possessed under the laws of another state.

IV. This section shall not apply to a federal firearms licensee as defined in 18 U.S.C. Section 921 for the sole purpose of transferring or selling a large capacity ammunition feeding device to a person to whom this section does not apply.

159-E:3 Forfeiture. Any person convicted under this chapter shall forfeit the large capacity ammunition feeding device to law enforcement personnel.

2 Effective Date. This act shall take effect upon its passage.

LBAO

20-2144

12/5/19

HB 1608-FN- FISCAL NOTE

AS INTRODUCED

FISCAL IMPACT: [ X ] State [ X ] County [ ] Local [ ] None

Estimated Increase / (Decrease)
STATE:FY 2020FY 2021FY 2022FY 2023
Appropriation$0$0$0$0
Revenue$0$0$0$0
Expenditures$0Indeterminable IncreaseIndeterminable IncreaseIndeterminable Increase
Funding Source: [ X ] General [ ] Education [ ] Highway [ ] Other
COUNTY:
Revenue$0$0$0$0
Expenditures$0Indeterminable IncreaseIndeterminable IncreaseIndeterminable Increase

METHODOLOGY:

This bill establishes a class A misdemeanor offense relative to large capacity ammunition feeding devices. There is no method to determine how many charges would be brought as a result of the changes contained in this bill to determine the fiscal impact on expenditures. However, the entities impacted have provided the potential costs associated with these penalties below.

Judicial BranchFY 2021FY 2022
Class B Misdemeanor$54$56
Class A Misdemeanor$77$79
Simple Criminal Case$300$314
AppealsVariesVaries
It should be noted that average case cost estimates for FY 2021 and FY 2022 are based on data that is more than ten years old and does not reflect changes to the courts over that same period of time or the impact these changes may have on processing the various case types. An unspecified misdemeanor can be either class A or class B, with the presumption being a class B misdemeanor.
Judicial Council
Public Defender ProgramHas contract with State to provide services.Has contract with State to provide services.
Contract Attorney – Misdemeanor$300/Case$300/Case
Assigned Counsel – Misdemeanor$60/Hour up to $1,400$60/Hour up to $1,400
It should be noted that a person needs to be found indigent and have the potential of being incarcerated to be eligible for indigent defense services. The majority of indigent cases (approximately 85%) are handled by the public defender program, with the remaining cases going to contract attorneys (14%) or assigned counsel (1%).
NH Association of Counties
County Prosecution CostsIndeterminableIndeterminable
Estimated Average Daily Cost of Incarcerating an Individual$105 to $120$105 to $120

Complete dross! Interesting your Tommy gun drums are legal under this propsal . . .

I said something to my wife about this at dinner. Told her about limiting long guns to 10-round magazines. She doesn't care very liberal.
My daughter overheard the conversation. (7-years old).
She was walking to bed with a children's magazine. She said I can't believe they want to ban these in New Hampshire. I told her. "I know but don't talk about this in school" 😂

I must add a case and point. My wife calls me at work asking if they have metal detectors at the polling station. She wants to know if it is safe to carry. Brought our 8 year old daughter with her too...

Not sure if these are genuine Colt.
They are steel.
I know if I lived in NH, I'd be buying Colt mags by the case.
I'd also buy a case of G17 mags and 9mm Happy Sticks.

I'd be maxing out the CC about now.

Your well stocked gun owner show have 10 mags of each variety per year you expect to live.

Expect to live and use guns till you are 80.

That's 40 mags per year times 40 years if you are 40 years old right now.

1,600 mags x $20 each on average = $32,000 in mags.

Forgo a new car and you'll have mags for life.

From NHFC:

Wednesday 12 February 2020, in Concord, NH at the Legislative Office Building (LOB) at 1:30 PM, Room 204, HB 1608-FNwill be introduced, and the committee will take public testimony. While the bill has an official title of “prohibiting the manufacture, sale, transfer, and possession of large capacity ammunition feeding devices”, the real title should be “Banning purchase & possession of standard size firearm magazines”.

This bill needs to be stopped. There is a way to email the committee members at the bottom of this email. [Also please forward this to your friends as the committee needs to hear from you.]

HB1608, at its core, is unconstitutional, violating the 2nd (right to keep and bear arms), 5th (takings clause) and the 14th (equal protection clause) of the United States Constitution. The bill also violates several articles of the New Hampshire Bill of Rights, Article 2, 2-a and several others. It is being pushed by a Democratic committee who is focused on nothing more than taking away firearms, accessories and the rights of the law abiding citizens of New Hampshire. We should be asking of the committee: ‘What happened to the “The Live Free or Die State?”.

We MUST make our voices heard at the LOB in Concord tomorrow, Wednesday February 12th. Complacency is no excuse. You must act NOW if you don’t want New Hampshire to become another New Jersey, Massachusetts or California. Speaking of New Jersey where a similar magazine ban was recently enacted, exactly ZERO ‘Large Capacity’ Magazines were turned in to the State Police. People there are fed up with unconstitutional laws being pushed through their legislature. We should learn from them, and make sure similar laws are not passed in New Hampshire

This bill is nothing more than a “feel good” bill and will actually harm ordinary New Hampshire citizens who want to protect their property with a Modern Sporting Rifle. This bill is specifically about restricting the rights of law-abiding firearms owners.

Regarding enforcement; the bill is unenforceable, unfunded, and unconstitutional. It says that existing magazines will be excluded from the proposed law. How can that be enforced if this legislation is approved? It can’t. It’s a “feel good” bill that has no impact on increasing public safety. It only seeks to make criminals out of law-abiding firearms owners.

Criminals don’t obey the law which is why they are criminals. Please take a moment to send a note to the Criminal Justice committee asking them to vote this bill Inexpedient To Legislate (ITL) i.e. Kill the bill.

Dear Members of Criminal Justice and Public Safety,

Please ITL HB1608. This is nothing more than a blatant attempt to confiscate firearm accessories. Standard capacity magazines are used by law abiding citizens to practice the sport of shooting and to sharpen ones skills in case a need should ever arise.

There is no need for this law and I specifically ask you to make the effort to see that this bill is killed.

Regards,

Gun Calendar for this week:

TUESDAY, FEBRUARY 11, 2020
JUDICIARY, Room 100, SH
Sen. Hennessey (C), Sen. Chandley (VC), Sen. Levesque, Sen. Carson, Sen. French
10:15 a.m. SB 574, relative to a petition for protective order filed on behalf of a child.
10:30 a.m. SB 470, relative to the reporting of law enforcement misconduct to the police standards and training council.
EXECUTIVE SESSION MAY FOLLOW

WEDNESDAY, FEBRUARY 12
JUDICIARY, Room 208, LOB
10:00 a.m. HB 1226, prohibiting surveillance by the state on public ways or sidewalks.

EXECUTIVE DEPARTMENTS AND ADMINISTRATION, Room 306, LOB
10:00 a.m. Executive session on: HB 1642-FN, prohibiting the state or a state official from using a facial surveillance system;
EDUCATION, Room 207, LOB
11:00 a.m. Executive session on: HB 1509, relative to emergency threat protection orders for individuals at post-secondary educational institutions; HB 1285, relative to possession of firearms on school property.

CRIMINAL JUSTICE AND PUBLIC SAFETY, Room 204, LOB
1:30 p.m. HB 1608-FN, prohibiting the manufacture, sale, transfer, and possession of large capacity am-munition feeding devices.

THURSDAY, FEBRUARY 13
CHILDREN AND FAMILY LAW, Room 206, LOB
10:00 a.m. Executive session on HB 1349, establishing a committee to study firearms incidents involving children with access to unsecured firearms;
CRIMINAL JUSTICE AND PUBLIC SAFETY, Room 204, LOB
9:30 a.m. Subcommittee work session on HB 1159-FN, relative to cyberbullying, cyberstalking, and doxxing of a public servant;

SB677 is still alive and we need you to call the Governor and politically ask that all 5 ‘RED FLAG” “‘extreme’ risk protection order” type bills be VETOED (HB687, SB677, SB574, HB1509, HB1660). We do not have a firearms homicide issue in our state and we do not want to create an atmosphere that discourages law abiding from carrying daily to protect themselves, their neighbors and family members.

In fact we need more law abiding ready and willing to stop the criminal not less.

We have been contacted about the Red Flag laws and I hope to have a great story to share with you in the next email about how these laws could hurt you, the law abiding gun owner.
For Liberty,
JR Hoell

JR Hoell
Corporate Secretary - NHFC, Inc.

I notice a fair amount of NES members have wives that align with the gun control crowd. It must be a very frustrating position to be in...
She has come around some over the years. She's pretty quiet not real vocal about the issue. It will be interesting over the next couple of years now that my kids are coming to the age, That they can learn to shoot. I have already mentioned it to her and she said no way. But I've always done whatever the hell I wanted. Hopefully I can teach my kids and it'll be three against one in the house.

If all the Ma$$holes could stop moving to N.H. (for permanent residency), that’d be great. I bought a house up there to get away from all these f-tards.

I like being able to walk around my acre or so with my G40 (or whatever else) on my belt without fear of having the police show up for a chat.

For years people on here have told MA residents to flee and move to a “free state” this is what happens when you run away from problems. It spreads like the plague the problem followed you are you moving again?

For years people on here have told MA residents to flee and move to a “free state” this is what happens when you run away from problems. It spreads like the plague the problem followed you are you moving again?

Go start a new thread, dont clutter up useful threads with useless bullshit like this.

Go start a new thread, dont clutter up useful threads with useless bullshit like this.

It’s not bullshit it’s a very clear observation of a trend on this site followed by a legit question. What are you doing this time? Are you moving again or are you fighting it this time? If you’re fighting it what is being done? Are you starting a rally? Fundraising for an organization?

Not everyone trying to move out of mass is looking to push for bans. Save your blanket statements for another thread you halfwits.
I moved out of MA because after years of fighting the gun grabbers I realized that it was a lost cause. At least we have a chance in NH of defeating the loons.

Not everyone trying to move out of mass is looking to push for bans. Save your blanket statements for another thread you halfwits.
We've covered this repeatedly - the problem people aren't so much from Massachusetts as they are transplants from places like New York or the DC metroplex.

It’s not bullshit it’s a very clear observation of a trend on this site followed by a legit question. What are you doing this time? Are you moving again or are you fighting it this time? If you’re fighting it what is being done? Are you starting a rally? Fundraising for an organization?

It is bullshit and shouldn't be cluttering up a useful thread. This thread is about this bill and the pertinent information around it. You wanna have a pissing contest about who is doing what, start a new thread the rest of us can ignore.

It is bullshit and shouldn't be cluttering up a useful thread. This thread is about this bill and the pertinent information around it. You wanna have a pissing contest about who is doing what, start a new thread the rest of us can ignore.

I dont see you saying that to people in this same thread talking about where wives stand on gun control as a whole. Why is that? You come after me for actually talking about the topic at hand meanwhile others are going WAY off topic.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom