NH gun shop owner decides for you?

Every shop has that ability though. Whether they've actually had to use it or not, another thing entirely. Most don't brag about it.

New Hampshire is the only state in New England that does not disclose mental health records for background checks. We've learned that because of that, gun dealers in the state feel a heavier burden to make sure their products don't end up in the wrong hands.

As I recall MA also doesn't (or didn't, perhaps that has changed) disclose all mental health information out of 'privacy concerns'.

Every shop has that ability though. Whether they've actually had to use it or not, another thing entirely. Most don't brag about it.

Yup!

Back in the late 1970s a guy in Colman's was behaving oddly and the manager of the gun counter asked him to leave and refused to sell him anything. Back then I shot skeet/trap with said manager (last I knew he was managing the gun counter in Natick's sports center?).

One day (within the past 10 years) I was in Fairground Trader shooting the bull with Tommy (retired Brockton PD) when an "upstanding" resident of Brockton came in and asked about selling a shotgun (didn't have it with him), couldn't answer basic questions about the gun, etc. and gave both of us really bad vibes. I remember taking a defensive position away from Tommy while this was happening. He politely said he had no interest in dealing and the guy thankfully left. His behavior gave off vibes that it was a stolen gun, and reputable dealers won't do business with folks like that if they get that vibe.

Wildlife Taxidermy is very much a hunting and fishing shop (few times I went in don't recall any firearm related stock that wasn't a hunting rifle or shotgun, very few handguns) so I expect the ownership and marketing is more skewed to the Fudd crowd.

Just wait until the first time Wildlife Taxidermy refuses to sell to somebody who also happens to be a member of a "protected class", and the tune will change, necn will decide that John Yule is just as evil as a cake shop owner who uses discretion to decide who can buy their wares.

If this guy had domestic violence convictions, why is the media still claiming he bought the gun legally?

If this guy had domestic violence convictions, why is the media still claiming he bought the gun legally?
Nobody wants to talk about how NHSP let the clock expire on the background check, as that doesn't promote their political agenda.

UL said:
MacPherson has been in and out of psychiatric hospitals for short stays, he apparently has not been committed long enough — 10 days — to trigger a NICS entry even if New Hampshire participated in the system.
. . .
Ian MacPherson also pleaded guilty to misdemeanor assault in 2004 and 2012 against his father. But under federal law, a domestic assault qualifies someone for NICS only the assault was against a spouse, a former spouse or a child — not an assault on a parent.

Ian MacPherson's past "simple assault" charges would not make him a prohibited person.

Nobody wants to talk about how NHSP let the clock expire on the background check, as that doesn't promote their political agenda.

Ian MacPherson's past "simple assault" charges would not make him a prohibited person.

I see. Articles I had read just mentioned "domestic assault".

I wouldn't have said that to a news station but as as an FFL holder we have the right to refuse to sell to anyone. Nothing new there.

As I recall MA also doesn't (or didn't, perhaps that has changed) disclose all mental health information out of 'privacy concerns'.

Depending on which town you live in, The PD can require a MH background check on your FID or LTC application as ONE of his nonlegislated additional grabs for power. It is a release authorization to take a look. It has been effect in mine for 5 renewals.

I wouldn't have said that to a news station but as as an FFL holder we have the right to refuse to sell to anyone. Nothing new there.

Correct. Your license, your ass, your rules.

I've worked the NH gunshows for over 15 years and we've more than once turned someone away because they were acting hinky or gave off the wrong vibe.

I bought my first hand gun there many years ago.

I'm sure most of you know the history of WT. For those that don't.....

The former owner was Robert Proulx.
A very active gun rights advocate. He was killed in the Corbin park in Croydon.

I'm not sure when Yule acquired the place, but I had heard through the grapevine that it was very difficult to buy guns in there afterwards. Again, grapevine. I haven't been back to buy a gun there since.

http://www.timesargus.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050422/NEWS/504220347/1003

+1. Too true.

Just wait until the first time Wildlife Taxidermy refuses to sell to somebody who also happens to be a member of a "protected class", and the tune will change, necn will decide that John Yule is just as evil as a cake shop owner who uses discretion to decide who can buy their wares.

You and I both know that story will never make it to the airwaves. It is to incongruous. Like a vegan shark. Protected classes don't own guns, they are VICTIMS of guns.

Shhhhh. LOL I guess that since I passed a 4473 and phone call with my AR that it's not a MA felony either. BONUS!!!!!!

How did he answer question #11i on the 4473 ???

i. Have you ever been convicted in any court of a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence ?

See Instructions for Question 11.i.

Question 11.i. Definition of Misdemeanor Crime of Domestic Violence:

A Federal, State, local, or tribal offense that is a misdemeanor under Federal, State,
or tribal law and has, as an element, the use or attempted use of physical force, or
the threatened use of a deadly weapon, committed by a current or former spouse,
parent, or guardian of the victim, by a person with whom the victim shares a
child in common, by a person who is cohabitating with, or has cohabited with
the victim as a spouse, parent, or guardian, or by a person similarly situated to
a spouse, parent, or guardian of the victim. The term includes all misdemeanors
that have as an element the use or attempted use of physical force or the
threatened use of a deadly weapon
(e.g., assault and battery)
, if the offense is
committed by one of the defined parties.
(See Exception to 11.c. and 11.i.)
A person who has been convicted of a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence also
is not prohibited unless: (1) the person was represented by a lawyer or gave up
the right to a lawyer; or (2) if the person was entitled to a jury, was tried by a jury,
or gave up the right to a jury trial.
Persons subject to this exception should answer “no” to 11.i.

I think the christian baker can but he gets bad press and boycots. All 2a says is the the government can't infringe upon our rights. It doesn't say a shop owner can't refuse you if he doesn't like the cut of your jib.

I seem to remember folks being OK with that shop posting that they would not sell guns to Muslims, or the other one that wouldn't sell to Democrats.

From 1999 until 2014, MA did not provide mental health records to NICS. The big hospitals argued it would stigmatize patients and make mentally ill less likely to seek treatment.

So when people ask, "Who is against background checks," you can say, "Boston teaching hospitals."

I seem to remember folks being OK with that shop posting that they would not sell guns to Muslims, or the other one that wouldn't sell to Democrats.

Whats your point? Both groups are enemies of liberty and one is just as dangerous as the other in a myriad of ways.[wink]

Back
Top Bottom