NH Gun Laws

If you look in the classifieds and on Armslist, most New Hampshire posts offering firearms up for private sale want to see a NH resident P&R before completing a private no-paperwork transaction.

But it's not required by law and has no bearing on an FFL purchase.

For handguns the person must be "known to you personally" or some bullshit like that if they don't have a P&R license. Not that this is ever really enforced....

-Mike

For handguns the person must be "known to you personally" or some bullshit like that if they don't have a P&R license. Not that this is ever really enforced....

-Mike
I've always questioned this. Was it an addition to the law to satisfy the anti-gunners?

'Hi, I'm Mike."
'My name is Joe, good to meet you.'

Personally known, right?

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

If you look in the classifieds and on Armslist, most New Hampshire posts offering firearms up for private sale want to see a NH resident P&R before completing a private no-paperwork transaction.
That is true -- NH FFLs want to see the types of identification specifically called out in the 4473 documentation. Some part-time residents may not have a valid, government-issued document showing their NH residence address.

I just read through some of the legal documents, and it might just be because Im sick and exhausted but the legalese made my head spin.

I've always questioned this. Was it an addition to the law to satisfy the anti-gunners?

'Hi, I'm Mike."
'My name is Joe, good to meet you.'

Personally known, right?

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

I don't know, it was probably written into RSA 159 before I was born. That said if I was to make a WAG its just an attempt at getting people to not sell handguns to people they don't really know that could potentially be criminals, etc.

-Mike

That is the universe is telling you to set down roots, become a full time resident of New Hampshire.

Believe me, if I had my way I would have bought a house in southern NH 5 years ago. My wife is starting to see the light though, we looked at houses in Pelham last weekend. The houses we can afford there and the size of the lots were far and above what we can afford in the PRM

I don't know, it was probably written into RSA 159 before I was born. That said if I was to make a WAG its just an attempt at getting people to not sell handguns to people they don't really know that could potentially be criminals, etc.

-Mike

Most buyers have P&Rs anyway. I'm sure there are a handful that don't. And they'll be plenty more if Constitutional Carry becomes the law of the land. But my guess is that it's pretty rare. And if somebody doesn't have a P&R and does have a handgun for "home protection" and shopping for another, they're not likely to be looking at a private transfer anyway.

-Mike

I wouldn't consider it "some bullshit". I actually think this is an example of a good law that doesn't overreach. It basically leaves it up to the individual to make the decision for themselves. How things should be.

Rather than government feeling the need to interject into all aspects of people's lives and in an attempt to control everything define a narrow specific set of criteria that must be met in order to engage in a simple task, like selling something, where all situations and circumstances cannot be accounted for and the very real possibility of it preventing someone unintended from doing so, it basically says "use your own goddamn judgment".

That said if I was to make a WAG its just an attempt at getting people to not sell handguns to people they don't really know that could potentially be criminals, etc.

Precisely.

I decided to keep my NH "Non-Resident Pistol and Revolver License" so I sent in the renewal...

I like to send things in early just in case of any hick-ups...

I'm more than 90 days out from being expired...

I filled out the paperwork from the website and mailed it into the NH permit place...

I just got it back today in the mail...

It only took two weeks total time, from when I mailed it, to when I got it back!!!

WOW!!! Thank You NH!!!

Here's the link for the NH Pistol and Revolver License (resident and non-resident):

http://www.nh.gov/safety/divisions/nhsp/ssb/permitslicensing/plupr.html

I plan on renewing my NH resident license, not for anything to do with NH, but because NH now has a reciprocal agreement with Maine, and as I understand, alleviates Maine's requirement to notify law enforcement as well as the restrictions on carrying in national parks (Acadia, mainly).

I plan on renewing my NH resident license, not for anything to do with NH, but because NH now has a reciprocal agreement with Maine, and as I understand, alleviates Maine's requirement to notify law enforcement as well as the restrictions on carrying in national parks (Acadia, mainly).

The Maine license was cheaper. IIRC it was $60 compared to the $100 NH license. Not a big deal but something to consider.

The Maine license was cheaper. IIRC it was $60 compared to the $100 NH license. Not a big deal but something to consider.

Ah, re-read what he wrote . . . RESIDENT license. Those are only $10 and well worth the few bucks if only to allow carry on an ATV.

what should I enter for "For what reason(s) do you make application to carry a pistol in New Hampshire?" - ALP ?

Yep! [thumbsup]

- - - Updated - - -

Ah, re-read what he wrote . . . RESIDENT license. Those are only $10 and well worth the few bucks if only to allow carry on an ATV.

Or snowmobile

- - - Updated - - -

what should I enter for "For what reason(s) do you make application to carry a pistol in New Hampshire?" - ALP ?

Put whatever you want. It makes no difference what so ever.

This topic keeps coming back to life; the answer is always the same: Zombies!

Put whatever you want. It makes no difference what so ever.
This topic keeps coming back to life; the answer is always the same.

There are anecdotes about applications getting kicked back because people tried to get too cute with their reasons, but the instructions themselves basically say that there is no point in putting anything beyond "All Proper Purposes".

Speaking of zombies:

My NH Permit is a Non-Resident Permit...

Same with my Maine, it's a Non-Resident Permit...

I have permits for, Ma (resident), Maine (Non- Res), NH (Non-Res), Florida (Non-Res), Utah (Non-Res) and the FFL03 C&R...

I'm going to be sending in for a CT (Non-Res) when I get a chance...

I say better safe than sorry...

Go to my post, #222 and the link is there...

I just saw that the link down toward the bottom is working, that will bring you to the NH website...

The NH Resident permit application doesn't give you what to say, it asks for it, but, it doesn't give you the wording...

The NH Non-Resident permit application tells you what reason(s) they want ... See below:

NON-RESIDENT APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS

ALL LICENSE APPLICANTS PLEASE NOTE:
A license to carry a loaded handgun may be issued for PROTECTION or ALL PROPER PURPOSES.
One or more of these reasons must be noted on the application, in the space provided for reason(s)
for which you make application to carry a pistol in New Hampshire.

RENEWAL APPLICANTS PLEASE NOTE:
In order to expedite license issuance procedures for those applicants who currently hold a valid NH concealed carry license,
and are submitting a renewal application WITHIN 30 DAYS OF EXPIRATION, it will be necessary for the applicant
to record on the application form the license number and date of expiration of their handgun license.
Mail to: NH State Police
Permits and License Unit
33 Hazen Drive
Concord, NH 03305

FEE FOR ALL NON-RESIDENT APPLICATIONS: $100.00 (Five Year Permit)
Make checks payable to: STATE OF N.H. - TREASURER
Applications, NH Law and Administrative Rules governing non-resident Pistol/Revolver Licenses can be found on the
State Police website at http://www.nh.gov/safety/divisions/nhsp/ssb/permitslicensing/plupr.html

NH "For what reason(s)" are for PROTECTION or APP (ALL PROPER PURPOSES) not ALP (All Lawful Purposes) like MA...

Last edited:
Going out of state, up to Errol NH for some quad riding Sept 17th, am I allowed to carry a pistol and put an ar15 on my quad ? I didn't renew my out of state ccw license this May.

Last edited:
Len, does this mean as an out of state gun owner, I can't carry or have in possession a ar15 and pistol without a ccw license in the woods on a atv ?
Resident or non-resident, you need "a permit pursuant to RSA 159" for ATV/OHRV carry -- no restriction on "possession" in NH law, just actually loaded carry on a off highway recreational vehicle:
RSA 215-A:20 said:
Loaded Firearms Forbidden. – No person shall carry on an OHRV, or a trailer towed by same, any firearms unless said firearm is unloaded. This section shall not apply to law enforcement officers carrying firearms in the course of duty or to pistols carried under a permit issued pursuant to the authority of RSA 159.

Look for a bill to repeal RSA 215-A:20 next year.

Last edited:
Or if you want to be on North Woods Law, carry a 12" AR-15 pistol.

If I'm only quad riding in NH during hunting season can I have a rifle on my possession in the woods ?
Hunting season or license irrelevant, always okay to have an unloaded long arm on OHRV in NH, never okay to have a loaded rifle on a quad. See the reply directly above yours.

Technically, you'd be legal with a P&R and a 15" NFA-registered SBR or [thread=326606]Tac-14[/thread], but that's a good way to make it on an episode of North Woods Law:NH..

Last edited:
Hunting season or license irrelevant, always okay to have an unloaded long arm on OHRV in NH, never okay to have a loaded rifle on a quad. See the reply directly above yours.

Technically, you'd be legal with a P&R and a 15" NFA-registered SBR or [thread=326606]Tac-14[/thread], but that's a good way to make it on an episode of North Woods Law:NH..

I can't wait until these garbage laws are repealed.

Should be good with loaded AR/AK pistols and the like, no?

Back
Top Bottom