• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

NH Gun Laws

National Parks and National Forests are two completely different things.

Carry is legal in National Forests unless the state has specifically banned carry there.

In NH this means you can carry in the National Forest but not in the buildings owned by the Federal Gov (ranger station, visitors center etc).

Firearms are currently banned in National Parks but a lot of people are trying to change that (which is all the hoopla you have been hearing).

Must be a misprint-White House favors CC in Nat'l Parks??

NH house

Can anyone tell me if I can keep a gun in my NH residence if my primary Residence is in MA. I have a MA LTC A " No Restrictions " and currently applying for non-res CCW in NH. My dilemma is I reside in NH for the summer and would like to have some protection in the house.

brick2020, perfectly legal! ONLY need a NH license to conceal carry a firearm . . . otherwise you can possess any legal (under Fed law) guns in NH w/o any permits/permission slips.

Mailed in application and check on March 12,2009 for New Hampshire carry permit. Rec'd permit in mail on 6-27-09 I live in Mass and have a Mass carry permit.

Hey guys,

I'm thinking about moving from mass to New Hampshire. I read through the New Hampshire law and I'm wondering if i have to take a firearm safety course in order to get a firearms permit. Also I'm wondering how long do i have to live in New Hampshire to be considered a resident? Any information would be appreciated.

Mike

Hey guys,

I'm thinking about moving from mass to New Hampshire. I read through the New Hampshire law and I'm wondering if i have to take a firearm safety course in order to get a firearms permit. Also I'm wondering how long do i have to live in New Hampshire to be considered a resident? Any information would be appreciated.

Mike

An early welcome to NH, Mike. We can always use more gun owners.

First, there is no such thing as a "firearms permit" in NH. No one need give you permission to own a firearm here. We do have a Pistol and Revolver License, which entitles you to carry concealed (concealed = loaded concealed on your person or in the car). No training is required for the P&R License. Just fill out the form at your local PD, pay the $10, and wait no more than 14 days. Governing regs are located here. It's not a long read.

You're a resident the moment you get here. Stop by the PD, say hello, and grab the form. You can also get it online so you have it already filled out.

Last edited:
I've always wondered, did anyone ever figure out if the 14 days were 14 Business days or 14 consecutive days including weekends?

Also, does anyone know how NH defines the following sentence found in RSA 159:6
"and that the applicant is a suitable person to be licensed."

Where in the NH RSA's does it define an unsuitable person?

Also, does anyone know how NH defines the following sentence found in RSA 159:6
"and that the applicant is a suitable person to be licensed."

Where in the NH RSA's does it define an unsuitable person?

You may also be able to find this in the RSA (not sure), but from the back of the application form: "Applicants not prohibited under federal or NH law from possession of a firearm shall be deemed suitable persons and the license shall be issued unless the applicant is so prohibited from possessing a firearm."

Find a NH FFL willing to do a transfer (they're all over). You can find a list of them on GunBroker, AuctionArms, etc. You should expect to pay no more than $25 for this.

Option 1: Your buddy ships firearm to said FFL. FFL calls you when it's in. You fill out a 4473, FFL runs a NICS check (or runs it through the State if it's a handgun), you pay for transfer, and the gun is now yours.

Option 2: You and your MA buddy take the firearm to said NH FFL. You fill out a 4473, FFL runs a NICS check (or runs it through the State if it's a handgun), you pay for transfer, and the gun is now yours.

I'm a MA resident heading to NH for the weekend. Last minute, no time to get my non-res LTC. I understand I can open carry. If I chose not to open carry, can I have my magazines loaded if they are separate from the gun, such as in a duffel bag?

I'm a MA resident heading to NH for the weekend. Last minute, no time to get my non-res LTC. I understand I can open carry. If I chose not to open carry, can I have my magazines loaded if they are separate from the gun, such as in a duffel bag?

Separate is the key word. According to Penny Dean, at least one driver has been charged with possessing a loaded handgun when the unloaded gun and loaded mags were all sitting on the passenger seat. (From the GO-NH FAQ by Dean) So, yes, but make 'em truly separate.

Some Posts need to be updated [wink], I just printed out the form for the LTC and it says Non-Res is $100 now, not $20.

I'll fill mine out for ALP, Protection, All Proper Purposes. The last two are NH's wording.

They say to put one or more reason on the app ("one or more reasons must be noted on the application").

Or did you folks just put APP on yours???

Thanks........

Last edited:
Some Posts need to be updated [wink], I just printed out the form for the LTC and it says Non-Res is $100 now, not $20.

I'll fill mine out for ALP, Protection, All Proper Purposes. The last two are NH's wording.

They say to put one or more reason on the app ("one or more reasons must be noted on the application").

Or do you folks just put APP on yours???

Thanks........

I wrote "All Proper Purposes" as they basically say to do on the app...

ETA:

And that was the only reason I wrote down

An early welcome to NH, Mike. We can always use more gun owners.

First, there is no such thing as a "firearms permit" in NH. No one need give you permission to own a firearm here. We do have a Pistol and Revolver License, which entitles you to carry concealed (concealed = loaded concealed on your person or in the car). No training is required for the P&R License. Just fill out the form at your local PD, pay the $10, and wait no more than 14 days. Governing regs are located here. It's not a long read.

You're a resident the moment you get here. Stop by the PD, say hello, and grab the form. You can also get it online so you have it already filled out.

I know this is a post from a few years ago, but I am moving to NH in a few weeks,.after I get back from vacation. Hers the question, I have my contract for my apartment all sign etc, and a copy. Would this be sufficient to buy a firearm/pistol? Or would I need to get my temp licence or something for proof of residency. I will probably get my temp license before I go look but just a question.

Or would I need to get my temp licence or something for proof of residency. I will probably get my temp license before I go look but just a question.
The BATFE says you need "any combination of government-issued documents which together establish all of the required information: Name, residence address, date of birth, and photograph of the holder.". See their FAQ:
http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/atf-f-4473.html#social-security-id

So for example, passport + vehicle registration.

The BATFE says you need "any combination of government-issued documents which together establish all of the required information: Name, residence address, date of birth, and photograph of the holder.". See their FAQ:
http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/atf-f-4473.html#social-security-id

So for example, passport + vehicle registration.[/QUOTE

Thanks Kevin. So I am guessing a temp license is good since it has all of that and is issued by the state.?

Edit: found out temp license is good.

Last edited:
New question please. Is it lawful for a Mass resident with a LTC, to buy a shotgun from a NH FFL?

Under federal law, you can buy a rifle or shotgun from an FFL in any state. See:

Q: From whom may an unlicensed person acquire a firearm under the GCA?
A person may only acquire a firearm within the person’s own State, except that he or she may purchase or otherwise acquire a rifle or shotgun, in person, at a licensee’s premises in any State, provided the sale complies with State laws applicable in the State of sale and the State where the purchaser resides. A person may borrow or rent a firearm in any State for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes.
[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(3) and (5), 922(b)(3), 27 CFR 478.29 and 478.30]

Note that in the FAQ, the term "unlicensed person" means someone without an FFL. The term "licensee" means an FFL.

There is nothing in NH state law that would prevent you from buying a shotgun in NH. Note that some FFLs won't sell to MA residents, but that is their policy, not state or federal law.

New Hampshire Now Has "Constitutional Carry" (Almost)

As of yesterday, we got some clarification from the court on what constitutes a loaded handgun (emphasis mine):

NH Supreme Court said:
“On May 8, 2012, police searched the defendant’s vehicle and found a .40 caliber semi-automatic pistol adjacent to a loaded magazine in the vehicle’s glove compartment. The pistol did not have a cartridge in the chamber or a magazine in the magazine well. The State charged the defendant with a class A misdemeanor for “knowingly carry[ing] a loaded pistol as defined in RSA 159:4 in a vehicle without a valid license….” The defendant moved to dismiss, arguing that “[t]he firearm at issue was not loaded and therefore no license was required and no crime was committed.”… Accordingly, we hold that in order for a pistol or revolver to be considered “loaded” within the meaning of RSA 159:4, the pistol or revolver must contain a cartridge in the chamber or must contain a magazine, cylinder, or clip inserted in or otherwise adjoined to the firearm such that the firearm can be discharged through normal operation.”

Read more here: New Hampshire Now Has ?Constitutional Carry? (Almost) | Pro-Gun New Hampshire

Also interesting in the discussion of loaded firearms in cars was the RSA 207:7 thread:

Actually, I (or anyone else) can get around the law with an SBR. NH considers any firearm with a barrel under 16" to be a pistol and therefore covered under the Pistol and Revolver license).

Unless there is conflicting language elsewhere in the RSA's, I think an SBR is GTG.

From CHAPTER 159 PISTOLS AND REVOLVERS Section 159:1
159:1 Definition. – Pistol or revolver, as used herein, means any firearm with barrel less than 16 inches in length. It does not include antique pistols, gun canes, or revolvers. An antique pistol, gun cane, or revolver, for the purposes of this chapter, means any pistol, gun cane, or revolver utilizing an early type of ignition, including, but not limited to, flintlocks, wheel locks, matchlocks, percussions and pin-fire, but no pistol, gun cane, or revolver which utilizes readily available center fire or rim-fire cartridges which are in common, current use shall be deemed to be an antique pistol, gun cane, or revolver. Nothing in this section shall prevent antique pistols, gun canes, or revolvers from being owned or transferred by museums, antique or arms collectors, or licensed gun dealers at auctions, gun shows, or private premises provided such ownership or transfer does not conflict with federal statutes.

If true, that would be very interesting that you can have a loaded SBR in a car, but not a loaded (rifle length) rifle. Can anyone cite another NH law that conflicts with that interpretation?

As of yesterday, we got some clarification from the court on what constitutes a loaded handgun (emphasis mine):

Read more here: New Hampshire Now Has ?Constitutional Carry? (Almost) | Pro-Gun New Hampshire

Also interesting in the discussion of loaded firearms in cars was the RSA 207:7 thread:

From CHAPTER 159 PISTOLS AND REVOLVERS Section 159:1

If true, that would be very interesting that you can have a loaded SBR in a car, but not a loaded (rifle length) rifle. Can anyone cite another NH law that conflicts with that interpretation?

If you perform a keyword search of the RSA's for "barrel" the only thing I find that relates to firearms is the definition in RSA 159:1.
New Hampshire General Court Legislation Text Search

Here is the NH Fish and game wording for RSA 207:

207:7 Hunting From Motor Vehicle, OHRV, Snowmobile, Boat, or Aircraft. –
I. No person shall take or attempt to take wild birds or wild animals from a motor vehicle, OHRV, snowmobile as defined in RSA 215-C:1, boat, aircraft or other craft propelled by mechanical power.
II. No person shall have or carry, in or on a motor vehicle, OHRV, snowmobile, or aircraft, whether moving or stationary, a cocked crossbow, a loaded rifle or loaded shotgun, or a rifle or shotgun with a cartridge in a magazine or clip attached to the gun.
III. No person shall have in or on a boat or other craft while being propelled by mechanical power, or in a boat or other craft being towed by a boat or other craft propelled by mechanical power, a cocked crossbow, a loaded rifle or loaded shotgun, or a rifle or shotgun with a cartridge in a magazine or clip attached to the gun.
IV. The provisions of this section shall not apply to law enforcement officers carrying guns in the line of duty.
Section 207:7 Hunting From Motor Vehicle, OHRV, Snowmobile, Boat, or Aircraft.

They key here is that NH law doesn't actually define what a rifle is as far as I can tell. It only defines what a pistol is.

If I understand correctly, that decision says that you can carry concealed an unloaded handgun without having a Pistol and Revolver license. That's not constitutional carry. Constitutional carry is what you have over in VT, where you can carry a loaded handgun without having a license to carry.

If I understand correctly, that decision says that you can carry concealed an unloaded handgun without having a Pistol and Revolver license. That's not constitutional carry. Constitutional carry is what you have over in VT, where you can carry a loaded handgun without having a license to carry.

Hence the "almost" caveat.

Back
Top Bottom