• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

NH gun-in-car question

It is if you have a P/R license. (resident or nonresident).

If you don't, you're SOL.

Unloaded is fine with or without a license. There is some thin case law around, though that you'd probably better not have ammo (or at least a loaded mag) in thesame proximate area as the firearm, though, if you don't have a license.

-Mike

So am I understanding this right?

I don't have any licenses.

My Mosin Nagant barely fits in my trunk, and I would prefer to put it in the back seat.

I am allowed to do so, as long as it isn't loaded and there is no ammo "right next to it"?

Also, does it matter that I don't have a carrying case?

Clarification would be appreciated. Thanks ;)

In NH nothing needs to be locked up. Just make sure the gun is unloaded and the ammo is separate. If you want to be paranoid you could put the ammo in the trunk. No carrying case needed, afaik. I know folks who have gun racks in their truck windows in NH. [grin]

-Mike

You don't need a case, but I'd still suggest that you get one and stuff it in the trunk if possible. NH certainly isn't MA, but I'd still rather not have guns visible during a traffic stop. And a case will keep your Mosin from getting banged up if you have to stop quickly.

Better yet take a ten dollar bill down to your police station, fill out the little 1/2 page application, and get yourself a concealed carry permit. Then you never have to worry about it. Very cheap insurance...

Better yet take a ten dollar bill down to your police station, fill out the little 1/2 page application, and get yourself a concealed carry permit. Then you never have to worry about it. Very cheap insurance...
You don't know anything about NH law then.

The long-gun-unloaded rule is a not-unusual holdover from anti-poaching laws.

As far as cases go, on any given Saturday the back of my 4Runner has 3-4 uncased long guns in it as I go to and from the range (frequently on the rear seat.) I've never given it a second thought, and have been through a traffic stop after I left the range. Even with the shadows, I know the guy saw the pink shotgun on the rear seat. Not so much as a comment.

When you see a pink shotgun on the back seat, there aren't many politically correct comments possible.

Did you get a ticket that time, or just a warning?

207:7 Hunting From Motor Vehicle, OHRV, Snowmobile, Boat, or Aircraft. –
II. No person shall have or carry, in or on a motor vehicle, OHRV, snowmobile, or aircraft, whether moving or stationary, a cocked crossbow, a loaded rifle or loaded shotgun, or a rifle or shotgun with a cartridge in a magazine or clip attached to the gun.

This is really a broad all encompassing statement that has nothing to do with hunting and really doesn't even seem to be in the spirit of the law, but all of the regulations under section 159 specifically relate only to pistols and revolvers so this is really the only relevant reference. Strange...

You don't know anything about NH law then.
Thanks Jose, that was an invaluable addition to the discussion. I don't know how the first couple corrections managed to get posted without insulting me. Glad you were able to correct this oversight for us [rolleyes]
arguing-on-internet.png

I'll also take a moment to mention that there are virtually no states in the US that allow you to have a loaded long gun in a vehicle, most of them are all covered by similar BS "hunting" regs. Some states may allow further latitude to this, or not. (EG, some may not prohibit it if the vehicle is not on a public way).

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom