• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

[NH] Governor VETOED SB88, More news coming tomorrow... [ugh!!!]

I just received a email from the Majority leader that the governor has vetoed SB88. I suspect this will be in the news tomorrow.
Here is the text of the bill:
http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/legislation/2011/SB0088.html

This bill improved a number of rights and needs to be passed. Please contact your Reps and Senators about this critical piece of legislation.

Regards,
Rep. Hoell

Letter from the Majority Leaders press office:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE CONTACT:
JULY 13, 2011 271-6277

House Leaders Respond to Governor’s Veto of Bill to Protect Gun Owners Rights

CONCORD – House Speaker William O’Brien (R-Mont Vernon) and House Majority Leader D.J. Bettencourt (R-Salem) today offered the following statements in response to Governor Lynch’s veto of Senate Bill 88, legislation to allow gun owners to defend themselves from deadly force, immunize themselves from civil liability from defending themselves and ensure that dimply displaying a firearm does not constitute a crime, as was found in the case with Ward Bird.

House Speaker William O’Brien

“Both the U.S. and New Hampshire Constitutions clearly protect our citizens’ right to own and carry firearms. This common-sense bill simply ensures that in New Hampshire, lawful gun owners can defend themselves when they are threatened. SB 88 would make New Hampshire the 32nd state to have a Castle Doctrine or ‘Stand your Ground’ law, and we should have been a leader in this important area of protecting individual rights. It’s unfortunate that Governor Lynch has once again chosen to stand against the rights of lawful gun owners, but we firmly expect to override this veto and affirm New Hampshire as the ‘Live Free or Die’ state.”

House Majority Leader D.J. Bettencourt

“Today, Governor Lynch continued to show opposition to the spirit of the 2nd Amendment. Having the right to carry a firearm, but then saying that you can’t use it to defend yourself when your life is in danger is absurd and shows a lack of respect for the safety of Granite Staters. It’s clear that the governor pays lip service but does not support gun owners’ rights, just as his fellow Democrats in the legislature consistently blocked this important protection for our citizens. House Republicans will embrace the opportunity to override this veto ensuring that we give our citizens the tools necessary to protect themselves.”

Last edited:
What a huge douche.

It's amazing that in Ohio, Democratic governors and state AGs have been better (WAY better) for gun owners than Republicans.

Kasich is the first Republican that has done anything to help us since I moved here.

New Hampshire is still in New England. Is anyone really surprised that it was vetoed. Not that it matters this time around, luckily. I hate when Massachusetts Democrat politicians move up here and try to ruin our freedom. I couldn't believe Lynch was re-eleceted when the house and senate turned Republican.

What a huge douche.

It's amazing that in Ohio, Democratic governors and state AGs have been better (WAY better) for gun owners than Republicans.

Kasich is the first Republican that has done anything to help us since I moved here.

Which illustrates that it is not good to generalize about parties and lump everyone into the same category based on their party affiliations.

"Drug dealers and other felons who brandish weapons will be further emboldened to use their weapons, while prosecution of those criminals will be made more difficult because of this bill's expansion of the right to use deadly force."

So your telling me if a felon with a gun starts shooting up a mall the State fo NH will have a hard time prosecuting this guy? UN****ING REAL!

Remember Lynch is a Waltham, MasSuckchusetts Business Man. That is where he made his money before moving to NH, And his wife is a peditrician. Need I say more.HE NEEDS TO GO!!!!

Hey you Granite State stalwart true American patriots up there (or so we are led to believe by many of our NES NH brethren) have elected this guy four times to the office of governor. It's not like the guy is a "one term wonder" or it's because "all the people from Mass who moved to southern NH voted for him" either. Maybe the reality of living in NH is slightly different than the "Live Free or Die" image that so many like to project. We Ma**h***s take a lot of flack from you folks up there, about how screwed up we are, yet how do you explain Gov Lynch's ability to get elected once and reelected three times?

New Hampshire is not a panacea - not by a long shot. It does however possess nuances of liberty - long, long gone in Massachusetts - a suckhole of liberalism and all but void of liberty. I'm not a part of the political landscape in New Hampshire yet, but I suspect that a combination of liberal influx and political complacency may be at play. Perhaps this will stir the liberty loving populace and inspire those of us across the border to head north and bolster liberty in not a 'free', but certainly a free-er state...

Hey you Granite State stalwart true American patriots up there (or so we are led to believe by many of our NES NH brethren) have elected this guy four times to the office of governor. It's not like the guy is a "one term wonder" or it's because "all the people from Mass who moved to southern NH voted for him" either. Maybe the reality of living in NH is slightly different than the "Live Free or Die" image that so many like to project. We Ma**h***s take a lot of flack from you folks up there, about how screwed up we are, yet how do you explain Gov Lynch's ability to get elected once and reelected three times?

Lynch gets reelected because he has a public image of being a middle-of-the-road, reasonable Democrat.

Hell, in MA he'd be considered a right-winger for not trying to pass more restrictive gun laws.

This veto will be overridden and he knows it. The veto allows him to kowtow to the various LEO organizations which will help him during the next election cycle.

New Hampshire ain't perfect but it's a hell of a lot better than MA.

Which illustrates that it is not good to generalize about parties and lump everyone into the same category based on their party affiliations.

Exactly. Experience tells me that Republicans are usually friendlier to gun rights than Democrats, but you have to remember that both are politicians, and both support statism to varying degrees. Hopefully the NH legislature will vote to override the Governor's veto.

Don't worry, your state still sucks 100x more than NH does. No danger of losing on that one. Wake up on the wrong side of the bed today?

Don't worry, your state still sucks 100x more than NH does. No danger of losing on that one. Wake up on the wrong side of the bed today?

Not at all, this isn't a pissing contest between how great or how bad states are, it was posed as a legitimate question, which you chose not to answer. The bottom line is that you keep electing this guy and have since 2005, and I merely asked why? Nobody seems to want to answer maybe making me think that things aren't all they are cracked up to be in the Granite State, that's all...and I don't think that "blame it on the Ma**h***s who moved up here" is much of an explanation (one I've heard before).

Yeah I know [horse] but can somebody 'splain to me, because I keep hearing that I live only 18 short miles from the border to paradise [wink] yet you keep electing this Lynch guy as your gov [thinking]

Inquiring minds do like to know [wink]

BTW...heading up to the Manchester Firing Line later this morning [mg]

Last edited:
Send them out today. My question is this; does the override vote take place during the next session ( starts in January) or is there a time allotted for this vote sooner? The bill wording states that at passage the bill becomes effective sixty days after becoming law. Sooner would definitely be better.

Tell you what, pal. When your state legislature passes anything even RESEMBLING SB88, or when your state legislature has trouble decided WHICH constitutional carry legislation should be passed, come back with the big talk. Until then, when it comes to freedom, if I were you, I'd be quietly hiding under my rock.

Not at all, this isn't a pissing contest between how great or how bad states are, it was posed as a legitimate question, which you chose not to answer. The bottom line is that you keep electing this guy and have since 2005, and I merely asked why? Nobody seems to want to answer maybe making me think that things aren't all they are cracked up to be in the Granite State, that's all...and I don't think that "blame it on the Ma**h***s who moved up here" is much of an explanation (one I've heard before).

It's ma**h***s who moved up here. [laugh]

No, seriously it is. And he is even one of them. The other thing is that his opposition wasn't too impressive from what I remember. There was a libertarian running, but the total votes he got wouldn't have gotten a republican win anyway. My vote went against Lynch, that's for sure.

let see, I would put money on Lynch being more of a republican than Romney is or ever was.

Haha probably true!

My NH Senator just replied to my e-mail. He states he will be voting to override the veto. No word from my house reps yet.

"Thank you for your email David. I plan to vote to override the veto. Best regards, Russell

Russell E. Prescott, P. E.
Vice President
R. E. Prescott Co., Inc."

Tell you what, pal. When your state legislature passes anything even RESEMBLING SB88, or when your state legislature has trouble decided WHICH constitutional carry legislation should be passed, come back with the big talk. Until then, when it comes to freedom, if I were you, I'd be quietly hiding under my rock.

Did we touch a sensitive nerve? [devil] Big talk? [thinking] What's the matter, can't you handle the truth ? [wink] I know what Massachusetts is, and I thought I knew what NH was about, but now I am beginning to have my doubts. "Liberal triangle"Ma**h***s moving to NH ? ... seems to me that NH has the potential of becoming another Massachusetts in a decade or two....unless all the states become the 50 new provinces of the North American Extension of the Peoples Republic of China (after August 2nd of course, thank you Mr. President, may I have another one? )[sad]

Democratic Governor elected four times [laugh]

Last edited:

We manage to keep that jackass Devil Patrick in power....[banghead]

Back
Top Bottom