• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

NH going to a range in Mass.

Maxrobot

NES Member
My 19 yr old daughter who is a full-time student and living in a dorm at UMASS Lowel has been invited to go with some classmates to shoot in Mass. She is still a resident of NH.
We don't know what facility they are planning on using but I was interested to know if there will be any issues with a Mass resident lending her a pistol for the time. I contemplated giving her some ammo to take, but I don't think it would be ok in the dorm. from what I've read here, if she takes a shell casing as a souvenir, it could be problematic too. I have marched in parades in Mass with a revolver, but I wonder what complications she might face? As a father, I am concerned.
Oh, and she will not be bringing any of my guns.

I take people without LTCs to the range in MA. The guns and ammo stay with me at all times. I’m standing three feet from the unlicensed friend while they shoot. Totally legal. See MGL Chapter 140 Section 129C exemption from needing a license to possess (m):
(m) The temporary holding, handling or firing of a firearm for examination, trial or instruction in the presence of a holder of a license to carry firearms, or the temporary holding, handling or firing of a rifle or shotgun for examination, trial or instruction in the presence of a holder of a firearm identification card, or where such holding, handling or firing is for a lawful purpose;
Fun fact, the parade was likely covered by exemption (r):
(r) Possession by a veteran's organization chartered by the Congress of the United States, chartered by the commonwealth or recognized as a nonprofit tax-exempt organization by the Internal Revenue Service and possession by the members of any such organization when on official parade duty or ceremonial occasions.
If (m) didn’t exist then my instructor for the LTC class would have been breaking the law when he let me hold an unloaded pistol.

Last edited:
If she's shooting at a legal range with a Ma. LTC holder supplying the weapon and ammo good to go. DON'T leave the range with any firearms or ammo.

While your at it dont have her post any pictures of her shooting
“School” might take issue with such behavior.
It is Mass after all
This is great advice for MA and most other States. It s*cks, but in today's world better keep those memories to yourself and not post them online.

The first thing I would be concerned with is who is she going with when you say "classmates"? How many? Any experienced shooters? Will there be a RSO, instructor, or someone with range experience overseeing the shooting?

While your at it dont have her post any pictures of her shooting
“School” might take issue with such behavior. It is Mass after all
This is great advice for MA and most other States. It s*cks, but in today's world better keep those memories to yourself and not post them online.
That sage advice is useless if some puddinghead in the expedition posts them.

The first thing I would be concerned with is who is she going with when you say "classmates"? How many? Any experienced shooters? Will there be a RSO, instructor, or someone with range experience overseeing the shooting?
I will pass on any info as I get it. Trying to get info from a teenager is not that easy. I have trouble with her being on her phone all the time. When I ask her a question, she says,"oh, I'm sorry. You were talking to me?"

That sage advice is useless if some puddinghead in the expedition posts them.
My 13 year old daughter asked me today how a student can get in trouble “at school” for fighting on a saturday at the mall
Seems a student got into a fight at the mall. He was suspended from school for 3 days?
My daughter is very confused. I had no real answers for her other than.
Be smart in what you say and do, be aware of who/what is around you.

My 13 year old daughter asked me today how a student can get in trouble “at school” for fighting on a saturday at the mall
Under MGL Ch. 71 §37O: School bullying prohibited;
bullying prevention and intervention plans; reporting of bullying incident date,
subsection (b)...

...By bullying someone in a way
that creates a hostile environment at school for the victim,
infringes on the rights of the victim at school
or materially and substantially disrupts the education process
or the orderly operation of the school.

Back
Top Bottom