• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

NH Fish and Game Stressing Me Out Thread.

SMASHING MACHINE

NES Member
Starting a thread on NHFG posing some questions about compliance with the law. Apparently the conservation officers have been out of line as of late, particularly in Cheshire County, on firearm issues. Being a recent escapee from MA, some of the local guys have warned me about the harassment, and the last thing I need right now is to get jammed up on some obscure NHFG enforcement. It was my understanding that in the state of NH, the only places besides federal buildings, you could not carry were courtrooms and the gray area of schools. After doing some reading it looks like NHFG can jam you up if you are carrying under certain circumstances, and even potentially confiscate weapons if they deem you a potential poacher. I am aware of the "no loaded long guns in/on a vehicle" BS and am looking forward to getting that washed off the books next year with my first NH vote.

I'll start off the thread with some noob questions... pardon me if my MASS is showing.

I like to hike, alone, avoiding human interaction for cardio. I have run into two black bears already while in the woods, and another in my back yard. Yes I know attacks are exceedingly rare... but a Yorkie hikes with me (yeah he is my 5# best friend, what up :D ). I would like to sling a long gun on my hike. Not planning on being an open carry activist or to look like a tough guy, again... I am trying not to run into people. If I run into a FGO, are there any laws that I need to be aware of so he doesn't jam me up? All my rifles have lights for good reason, I am not spotlighting, hunting, or discharging a weapon... will these guys attempt to pin me under some type of anti-poaching non-sense? I want to be compliant with the law and am not looking to flex out here, but judging by what the locals have told me, the conservation officers have become overly aggressive with enforcement. Anything I should be made aware of?

Thanks gents and looking forward to the discussion.

Last edited:
Get a hunting license and tell them you are hunting coyote. Of course with the Yorkie, they will probably charge you with baiting... [laugh]

I've thought about similar items mostly for when I want to go out in the woods for photography. I picked up a Ruger GP100 with that in mind (.357 Magnum 4.25" barrel)... I'll load it up with magnum loads, and carry at least a full reload set.

IMO, having just the revolver on you will protect you from any predators in the region (on two or four legs). If you're concerned, get a larger caliber revolver and don't worry.

I don't think anyone in NH is going to wet their pants if they see a guy in the woods with a gun.

If anything, they'll start up a conversation about the gun(s)...

I don't think anyone in NH is going to wet their pants if they see a guy in the woods with a gun.
'

Not so worried about the general pop as I am Fish and Game. Most people I would run into deep woods wouldn't have issue with a firearm... or they are potentially a lost opioid zombie.

I think a cranky Conservation Officer may look at you a little differently if you have bear spray as well as a gun. It will say "I don't want to kill a bear unless I have to.".

I've thought about similar items mostly for when I want to go out in the woods for photography. I picked up a Ruger GP100 with that in mind (.357 Magnum 4.25" barrel)... I'll load it up with magnum loads, and carry at least a full reload set.

IMO, having just the revolver on you will protect you from any predators in the region (on two or four legs). If you're concerned, get a larger caliber revolver and don't worry.

If anything, they'll start up a conversation about the gun(s)...

Thought about picking up a large caliber revolver for trails. Some of those handgun calibers are approved for hunting in the state, correct? Which leads me back to my original question... will you get jammed up for that with a conservation officer?

Coyote baiting permits can be issued in December for use beginning January 1

Get a hunting license and tell them you are hunting coyote. Of course with the Yorkie, they will probably charge you with baiting..
That's definitely a valid fallback position.

Baiting for coyote is legal (with a bait permit), just keep your dog off frozen ponds in the winter [grin]

I would like to sling a long gun on my hikes and an OWB pistol on my hip. Not planning on being an open carry activist or to look like a tough guy, again... I am trying not to run into people. If I run into a FGO, are there any laws that I need to be aware of so he doesn't jam me up? All my rifles have lights for good reason, I am not spotlighting, hunting, or discharging a weapon... will these guys attempt to pin me under some type of anti-poaching non-sense? I want to be compliant with the law and am not looking to flex out here, but judging by what the locals have told me, the conservation officers have become overly aggressive with enforcement. Anything I should be made aware of?
Yes, a guy out in the woods with a long gun will likely attract F&G attention, especially when nothing is in season.

Toting an AR-15 with a flashlight mounted? sure looks a lot like poaching...

Thought about picking up a large caliber revolver for trails. Some of those handgun calibers are approved for hunting in the state, correct? Which leads me back to my original question... will you get jammed up for that with a conservation officer?
I've not heard of any recent negative interactions with conservation officers due to carrying a handgun in the woods.

I recommend reading RSA 208 carefully.

You're not going to find a great answer. If you aren't hunting, the firearms restrictions for hunting do not apply. That doesn't mean you won't be jammed up by an overzealous F&G cop.

IMHO, a rifle with light is going to make you look like a poacher in many states. F&G officers are looking for stuff like that, so you are giving them a visual cue that they are predisposed to view as evidence of poaching. Sorry, bad idea in a state known to have aggressive F&G enforcement- especially with the light.

Decent caliber pistol will take care of NE black bears. I'd find the rifle banging around on my back to be annoying, but YRMV.

Phucking geigh... what about AR/AK pistols?

Ridiculous that I can OC a rifle everywhere but where it seems most natural.

I would go right to the source and ask the district commander for your area FGO. But watching the Northwoods Law program, if you DO have to shoot something in self defense, make sure you take pictures of the aftermath and call NHF&G to report asap.

I recommend reading RSA 208 carefully.

Wow! According to section 208:8 I(b). If you're in the woods at night with a gun and any type of a light you can be jammed up for poaching. At least that's how I read it. All you need is a law-enforcement officer with a hair across their ass and you're in trouble.

RSA 208:8 and RSA 208a are very broad. So I can't walk at night with a concealed pistol and a flashlight without the potential for getting hit with a misdemeanor and having my weapon seized....

- - - Updated - - -

Wow! According to section 208:8 I(b). If you're in the woods at night with a gun and any type of a light you can be jammed up for poaching. At least that's how I read it. All you need is a law-enforcement officer with a hair across their ass and you're in trouble.

Insane.

Talk to your rep and JR Hoell; maybe next year we can make another run at passing "various changes to the fish and game laws", including deleting most of 208:8.

Get yourself a NH hunting license and a coonskin cap; now you have an affirmative defense from Sept. 1 - Mar. 31

A few years ago when I took my bowhunter ED course in Fitzwilliam, I asked the CO that came to speak (I believe it was CO Hannett) specifically about RSA208:8. His response was basically along the lines of "Using a flashlight is fine. When you're walking in/out of the woods, just don't be using it to light up the entire woods around you." His response, as well as the positive experiences I've had with another half dozen or so CO's in the past 4 years that I've been hunting, have led me to the personal conclusion that I will probably be fine if I'm just using a light to stay on trail when going in/out when hunting or while carrying on a nighttime hike. The decision you make for yourself may be different. That said, I would absolutely support improving the wording of that RSA. The fact that it is somewhat broad and also carries the weight of a misdemeanor is particularly concerning.

Wow! According to section 208:8 I(b). If you're in the woods at night with a gun and any type of a light you can be jammed up for poaching. At least that's how I read it.
If you have a NH hunting license, you'd be in the clear from Jan 1st - March 31st -- coyote night season allows artificial light (per Fis 303.06)

Back
Top Bottom