• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

NH FFL's and Paper Driver's Licenses

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let's go with 12 because it's an easy number to deal with.

So you own 12 houses (not just a piece of land) in 12 states different states and you live in each house (state) 1 month a per year yes I am sure you could get a way with it and buy guns in each state.

But knowing the ATF if they got wind of it and found out I am all most positive they would pull some shit and stop you saying that your a gun trafficker even if it's 100% legal by the laws that they have in place and go by.

And I am sure you could fight it but the ATF will come back and say that the law only allows dual residence so you can only be a resident in 2 states at one time and I can almost guarantee that the courts would side with the ATF.

Like I said in theory it's possible but you would get stopped if they find out.

It's just like the guy who put a vertical grip on his pistol and the ATF arrested the guy and charged him with not having a registered NFA item. The guy foaght it all the way to the Supreme Court and won and the court said that just by adding a vertical grip to a pistol does not reclassify it as a AOW NFA wepon and that you can put a vertical grip on a pistol because you can easily remove the grip and it don't reclassify the weapon.

But even thought the court ruled in the guys favor and you can put a vertical grip on a pistol with out making it a AOW and paying the $200 tax stamp the ATF said they are not going to abide by the ruling and that there position stands the same if you put a vertical grip on your pistol you have to pay a $200 Tax stamp and make your pistol a AOW or SBR.

Do you have the name of that case?

You just talked about a SCOTUS case that doesn’t exist.

Your right it might not be a SCOTUS case but it is a real case in a federal case about a vert grip on a pistol.

And the court ruled that a vert grip is legal and not a AOW but the ATF won't abide by the court ruling.

But some small time judge in California can say that the President can't end a executive order DOCA and that stands up when the laws are that and new President can cancel and end all previously done executive orders but that judge in Cali was able to stop it.

Still wrong unless you can provide a citation.

I’ll provide one for you though.

FindLaw's United States Sixth Circuit case and opinions.

In sum, at the time of his arrest, Black was in possession of a Romarm, Draco 7.62 caliber pistol with a vertical foregrip, which was no longer intended to be held and fired with one hand. Consequently, the Romarm is not a pistol, and does qualify for the sentencing enhancement as “any other weapon.” 26 U.S.C. § 5845(e).

CONCLUSION

The judgment of conviction is AFFIRMED.

Still want to keep trying?

Did the second gas station have
a big enough paper goods section that
you were able to purchase some straws
along with your straw purchase?

Nope ... we told the second gas station about it and they said "Yeah, they've had problems with selling to under age people so THEIR POLICY is to ID everyone."

Reactions: AHM
Do you have the name of that case?

There is another case I have to find besides this one but this is one of the cases.

Federal case, US v. Fix (UNITED STATES of America, Plaintiff-Appellee, v. Lawrence Christopher FIX, Defendant-Appellant. No. 00-10789. August 29, 2001), [6] the 5th Circuit Federal Appeals Court countered BATFE. Originally, in the trial case, Fix was convicted under 26 U.S.C. § 5861(d) of possession of an unregistered NFA firearm found during a search of his home and business as a weapon that required NFA registration. In US v. Fix, he appealed and the 5th Circuit Court of Appeals reviewed the trial case. The 5th Circuit noted that Fix was a defendant who was found to be in possession of a handgun/pistol that had a second pistol/foregrip attached. On appeal, Fix argued that the Government/BATFE did not prove the handgun/pistol with a second pistol grip added was an unregistered NFA firearm. The 5th Circuit Court of Appeals presided and found in a related provision that a GCA "firearm" is defined by a list of eight weapons and a catchall provision of "any other weapon." See 26 U.S.C. §5845(a). "Any other weapon" includes "any weapon or device capable of being concealed on the person from which a shot can be discharged through the energy of an explosive," but not "a pistol . . . having a rifled bore . . ." See 26 U.S.C. § 845(e). Weapons not included in the definition of firearm in § 5845 need not be registered under § 5861(d). Fix argues that his firearm was a pistol, not an NFA AOW that met the exception in §5845(e), and, therefore, did not need to be registered under §5861. The 5th Federal Circuit Court of Appeals found that the Government/BATFE failed to prove a violation of §5861(d) for two reasons. First, the weapon did not fit the definition required by the statute in the NFA. The provision defining "pistol" for the purposes of the statute is 27 C.F.R. §179.11, which defines a pistol as "a weapon originally designed, made, and intended to fire a projectile (bullet) from one or more barrels when held in one hand..." The government argues that because the handgun/pistol was modified to be fired with two hands, it "falls out" of the definition of pistol and falls back into the definition of "any other weapon" in § 5845. The 5th Circuit found BATFE's argument ignores the definition's requirement that the weapon be capable of being held with one hand at the time it was originally designed and made. As written, the GCA or NFA definition does not consider modifications of the weapon by the owner. The 5th Circuit court further found that the handgun/pistol in this case was originally designed and made to be fired with one hand, and still could be, despite the addition of a foregrip. Second, the definition of "any other weapon" in §5845(a) and (e) expressly excludes weapons with a rifled bore which this handgun/pistol had. The 5th Circuit held that the "any other weapon" provision was intended as a catch-all category in which to gather sawed-off shotguns and other hybrid weapons. A sawed-off shotgun may be concealed like a pistol, but would have the smooth bore of a shotgun. The 5th Circuit court also noted that the Government/BATFE's own witness stated that the involved handgun/pistol had a rifled bore, and thus, cannot be considered an "any other weapon."

The Gun Control Act (GCA) under 27 CFR 478.11 [7]

defines a handgun/pistol as: 27 CFR 478.11: Handgun. (a) Any firearm which has a short stock and is designed to be held and fired by the use of a single hand; and (b) Any combination of parts from which a firearm described in paragraph (a) can be assembled.

Pistol. A weapon originally designed, made, and intended to fire a projectile (bullet) from one or more barrels when held in one hand, and having (a) a chamber(s) as an integral part(s) of, or permanently aligned with, the bore(s); and (b) a short stock designed to be gripped by one hand and at an angle to and extending below the line of the bore(s).

Semiautomatic pistol. Any repeating pistol which utilizes a portion of the energy of a firing cartridge to extract the fired cartridge case and chamber the next round, and which requires a separate pull of the trigger to fire each cartridge.

Therefore, no wording exists in the law (either GCA or NFA) that states the addition of a vertical foregrip to a handgun/pistol originally designed to be held with one hand is an AOW. BATFE, however, still maintains the stance that such an action is enforceable under NFA.

(Under this would it be legal to put a second vertical grip on a firearm without paying the nfa tax or going through all the extra paper work , since the 5th district decision was never overturned by a higher court)

There is another case I have to find besides this one but this is one of the cases.

Federal case, US v. Fix (UNITED STATES of America, Plaintiff-Appellee, v. Lawrence Christopher FIX, Defendant-Appellant. No. 00-10789. August 29, 2001), [6] the 5th Circuit Federal Appeals Court countered BATFE. Originally, in the trial case, Fix was convicted under 26 U.S.C. § 5861(d) of possession of an unregistered NFA firearm found during a search of his home and business as a weapon that required NFA registration. In US v. Fix, he appealed and the 5th Circuit Court of Appeals reviewed the trial case. The 5th Circuit noted that Fix was a defendant who was found to be in possession of a handgun/pistol that had a second pistol/foregrip attached. On appeal, Fix argued that the Government/BATFE did not prove the handgun/pistol with a second pistol grip added was an unregistered NFA firearm. The 5th Circuit Court of Appeals presided and found in a related provision that a GCA "firearm" is defined by a list of eight weapons and a catchall provision of "any other weapon." See 26 U.S.C. §5845(a). "Any other weapon" includes "any weapon or device capable of being concealed on the person from which a shot can be discharged through the energy of an explosive," but not "a pistol . . . having a rifled bore . . ." See 26 U.S.C. § 845(e). Weapons not included in the definition of firearm in § 5845 need not be registered under § 5861(d). Fix argues that his firearm was a pistol, not an NFA AOW that met the exception in §5845(e), and, therefore, did not need to be registered under §5861. The 5th Federal Circuit Court of Appeals found that the Government/BATFE failed to prove a violation of §5861(d) for two reasons. First, the weapon did not fit the definition required by the statute in the NFA. The provision defining "pistol" for the purposes of the statute is 27 C.F.R. §179.11, which defines a pistol as "a weapon originally designed, made, and intended to fire a projectile (bullet) from one or more barrels when held in one hand..." The government argues that because the handgun/pistol was modified to be fired with two hands, it "falls out" of the definition of pistol and falls back into the definition of "any other weapon" in § 5845. The 5th Circuit found BATFE's argument ignores the definition's requirement that the weapon be capable of being held with one hand at the time it was originally designed and made. As written, the GCA or NFA definition does not consider modifications of the weapon by the owner. The 5th Circuit court further found that the handgun/pistol in this case was originally designed and made to be fired with one hand, and still could be, despite the addition of a foregrip. Second, the definition of "any other weapon" in §5845(a) and (e) expressly excludes weapons with a rifled bore which this handgun/pistol had. The 5th Circuit held that the "any other weapon" provision was intended as a catch-all category in which to gather sawed-off shotguns and other hybrid weapons. A sawed-off shotgun may be concealed like a pistol, but would have the smooth bore of a shotgun. The 5th Circuit court also noted that the Government/BATFE's own witness stated that the involved handgun/pistol had a rifled bore, and thus, cannot be considered an "any other weapon."

The Gun Control Act (GCA) under 27 CFR 478.11 [7]

defines a handgun/pistol as: 27 CFR 478.11: Handgun. (a) Any firearm which has a short stock and is designed to be held and fired by the use of a single hand; and (b) Any combination of parts from which a firearm described in paragraph (a) can be assembled.

Pistol. A weapon originally designed, made, and intended to fire a projectile (bullet) from one or more barrels when held in one hand, and having (a) a chamber(s) as an integral part(s) of, or permanently aligned with, the bore(s); and (b) a short stock designed to be gripped by one hand and at an angle to and extending below the line of the bore(s).

Semiautomatic pistol. Any repeating pistol which utilizes a portion of the energy of a firing cartridge to extract the fired cartridge case and chamber the next round, and which requires a separate pull of the trigger to fire each cartridge.

Therefore, no wording exists in the law (either GCA or NFA) that states the addition of a vertical foregrip to a handgun/pistol originally designed to be held with one hand is an AOW. BATFE, however, still maintains the stance that such an action is enforceable under NFA.

(Under this would it be legal to put a second vertical grip on a firearm without paying the nfa tax or going through all the extra paper work , since the 5th district decision was never overturned by a higher court)

Do you have a link to where you’re finding this?

The only information I can find for that docket number, or cases titles US vs Fix, is for a “felon-in-possession” case.

... we told the second gas station about it and they said "Yeah, they've had problems with selling to under age people so THEIR POLICY is to ID everyone."
I wonder if they drop everything and ID people sitting in an unrelated car,
gassing up at the pumps.
Because Everyone.
LOL.

OTOH: Hey Mr, can you buy me some alcohol.

Still wrong unless you can provide a citation.

I’ll provide one for you though.

FindLaw's United States Sixth Circuit case and opinions.

Still want to keep trying?

U.S. v. Davis, Cr. No. 8:93-106, Report of Magistrate

This is another case But I still know there is one more and i am tring to find it because I used the case i am tring to find when I decided to put a K grip on a HK SP89 because this case was the same gun and ruled in the owners favor that a K grip on a SP89 in not an AOW.

In May 1993, in response to legal action brought by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms (ATF), the South Carolina District Court's finding of fact concluded that a pistol modified with the addition of vertical fore grips was still a pistol and not any other weapon device.[4] Following this, the ATF dropped their charges and the case was not tried; as such no precedent was set.

Still tring to find this one but I don't know why i have to prove anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom