NH FFL inquiry...

Didn't see a good place for this anywhere else... Looking to see if any FFLs in southern NH would rent me whatever the minimum sq footage is so I can apply for my FFL. PM me if you'd be open to meeting me.

I think "kitchen table" FFLs are legal in NH. Pretty sure you don't need a separate location. The Mill in Littleton is a function of MA-specific laws.
What town are you in? Son Lance has the 07/SOT in Fitzwilliam and formerly in Rindge and New Boston. The smaller NH towns are good with home occupation. All you need for ATF is an OK from the selectmen. I would suggest that you explain that you would have no employees, no parking needs , no signage or store front. Do the 07, not the 01. ATF will be thankful. They need the work and are happy get out of the office in Boston and tour NH. If Lisa does your interview, have iced coffee ready. Jack.

Last edited:
What town are you in? Son Lance has the 07/SOT in Fitzwilliam and formerly in Rindge and New Boston. The smaller NH towns are good with home occupation. All you need for ATF is an OK from the selectmen. I would suggest that you explain that you would have no employees, no parking needs , no signage or store front. Do the 07, not the 01. ATF will be thankful. They need the work and are happy get out of the office in Boston and tour NH. If Lisa does your interview, have iced coffee ready. Jack.
unfortunately Nashua. Does that change what you mentioned, that you know of?

I've been playing with the same idea in the same area for a while, I'm an apartment dweller so home business isn't an option. But I've trying to combine some uses so the cost are spread out. Storage so I can get rid of my storage unit, a workbench for any projects I don't want to do in my livingroom, and the 07FFL/SOT. Bonus if it's some kind of closed down auto shop with a lift (personal use). Now I just need to find that place for around $750 gross/month. Would totally do shared space.

I know, I'm dreaming.

@parallax222 at one point there was a tiny space in the mill next to BEA in Nashua. Something like 300sqft the guy was calling it storage only but it is zoned for business. Oh and it's on the 4th floor, no heat, not sure it even has electric. It was too small for me.

I browsed the Nashua zoning ordinance. They call out "gun stores and gunsmiths" specifically, but they're not allowed to do that under RSA 159:26.

If you're looking for occasional and/or custom sales with few visitors, then all the residential zones allow minor home occupations.

I browsed the Nashua zoning ordinance. They call out "gun stores and gunsmiths" specifically, but they're not allowed to do that under RSA 159:26.

If you're looking for occasional and/or custom sales with few visitors, then all the residential zones allow minor home occupations.

Im in zone R-B B URBAN RESIDENCE but i cant tell what that means for me looking at their site.

Im in zone R-B B URBAN RESIDENCE but i cant tell what that means for me looking at their site.

My link was to the definition.

Minor home occupation. The purpose of this subsection is to permit the accessory use of a residence for business purposes which are clearly incidental to the principal residential use, provided that the use does not change the residential character or function of the property to the extent that the property would be distinguishable from other residential properties. Upon determination of compliance with the following conditions, the Administrative Officer shall issue a certificate of use and occupancy for the minor home occupation as provided for in § 190-130 of this chapter:
(1)
No nonresidents shall be employed on the premises.

(2)
No more than 20% of the existing gross floor area of the dwelling or 200 square feet, whichever is less, shall be devoted to such use.

(3)
The use shall be carried on entirely within the principal building.

(4)
The use shall not change the internal or external residential character of the dwelling or require internal or external alterations to the structure.

(5)
There shall be no exterior storage or display of any kind which is related to the home occupation.

(6)
Visitation to the premises in conjunction with the home occupation by customers, vendors, solicitors or commercial deliveries shall be unusual and may only be on an infrequent basis, i.e., no more than three such visits per week, on the average.

(7)
The use shall be conducted in such a manner that the premises is otherwise indistinguishable from other residences in the neighborhood and shall not create any noise, dust, vibration, odor, smoke, glare, electrical interference, fire hazard or nuisance to any greater or more frequent extent than that usually experienced in a residential dwelling.

(8)
There shall be no advertising on the premises other than a single nonilluminated sign which shall not exceed two square feet in area and which may only identify the occupant's name and address. The street address of the premises shall be prominently displayed by use of numerals no smaller than three inches in height and no larger than six inches in height.

(9)
Not more than one commercial vehicle shall be stored, parked or otherwise situated on the premises. Such vehicle shall not exceed 25 feet in length.

I think "kitchen table" FFLs are legal in NH. Pretty sure you don't need a separate location. The Mill in Littleton is a function of MA-specific laws.
They are within certain parameters. I have a friend who is an FFL who has no store...in fact he lives within 1000' of two schools (actually much closer) and has never had an issue...of course he doesn't have an FFL sign out in front of his house either. He has done transfers for me in the past.

Last edited:
I'm south of the NH border and looking to get more info on getting a NH address that I can re-apply for my FFL as well. A small corner bench, at an existing gun shop, would be ideal, I think.

I'm south of the NH border and looking to get more info on getting a NH address that I can re-apply for my FFL as well. A small corner bench, at an existing gun shop, would be ideal, I think.
If you are in Mass, you can game the system. All you need is a properly zoned location where you "keep your records". For example, if you have a buddy who has a gas station, you could rent a 2ft X 2ft closet with a 5 gal. bucket in it for your paperwork. You can keep your inventory anywhere. You can also add "Responsible Persons" to your FFL. Read upon that. Jack.

Nashua doesn't look all that bad.
https://www.nashuanh.gov/DocumentCenter/View/2667/Minor-Home-Occupation-PDF
scroll down to 190-47

The regs are clear and not really a matter of interpretation. There is a $30 fee, one time, and they can inspect as part of the application process, but not ongoing. And issuance is "shall issue" so the selectmen have little they can say. And if they tried they would lose in court.

Let me know when you open up, alway got stuff to order that will need to be transfered, I'm just up the road a bit.

If you are in Mass, you can game the system. All you need is a properly zoned location where you "keep your records". For example, if you have a buddy who has a gas station, you could rent a 2ft X 2ft closet with a 5 gal. bucket in it for your paperwork. You can keep your inventory anywhere. You can also add "Responsible Persons" to your FFL. Read upon that. Jack.

Where can I read more about this? Gaming the system is my favorite thing.

Alternatively, is anyone in SE MA interested in co-opping a Mini Littleton Mill near Cape Cod Canal? I'd like to start a side gig but am not optimistic about getting approval for a home-based business in an anti-business town.

Resurrecting this thread. Where can we read up on this?

Back
Top Bottom