• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Nh deer harvest so far in 2020

whacko

NES Member
I was doing some research on deer harvest and found it interesting that nh does daily updates on the f and g website. They show the tally for current harvest vs this date in the season last year. So far in nh this is what it looks like

2019 up to this date 1,022
2020 so far 1321

So up 300 deer harvested so far vs 2019. Looking to be a banner year again.

Spent all morning out today in Unit A. Didn’t hear anything.
Had two of the quietest squirrels run past. Usually they sound like elephant.
One HUGE coyote went past and stopped about twenty feet in front of me. Really cool.

Guess moving didn’t change my luck.

One HUGE coyote went past and stopped about twenty feet in front of me. Really cool.

Wmu a ends a week early....I think the population of deer is at or below plan up there.

Yeah, I’m glad the season ends early. I’ll probably just wait it out. No sense in me going out when it is buck only. I prefer small game hunting by far.

That's significant. Is there a lot of mast crop up there? A ton by me which should limit the harvest, but its been a few years with good mast, and the population could be increasing statewide. It seems like an early rut too, which will help muzzleloader hunters.

I was out yesterday and heard about six or seven guys shooting. A couple probably missed but most sounded like 1-shot, 1-kill. Didn't see anything myself, the leaves were too crunchy and all the sign I saw was old except for some fresh tracks near a swamp.

So, people have been bagging deer from my observations.

Ha! So sometimes you get what you need nor what you want.
Turns out I had a freaking heart attack Wednesday. If I bagged a deer I’d probably still be on the mountain.
I’m in CMC in Manchester. Everything is fine now but what a wake up call.

Turns out I had a freaking heart attack Wednesday. If I bagged a deer I’d probably still be on the mountain.
Dude that's awful! Get better soon!

Every year some hunters die of a heart attack while dragging out their deer. Glad your not one of the statistics.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Bob

Yikes!!!! That is pretty scary.

Spent the week in Pittsburg NH. Hunted the few last days of Muzzle season in a T-shirt. Opening rifle was quiet as well. Never saw a deer and only 1 moose. No question the number of hunters was down and not very many of us in the woods. The deer sign was down as well. The deer herd in Pittsburg, at least to me, has never recovered from the savage 00-01 winter when about 1/2 the herd perished and the winter of 07/08 was pretty bad as well. Much less Coyote sign as well which rises and falls with the deer herd. It seems, at least to me, the deer have learned to hang lower, near civilization as there is more food and safer hideouts.

Spend most of the time in the Indian Stream area.

Spent the week in Pittsburg NH. Hunted the few last days of Muzzle season in a T-shirt. Opening rifle was quiet as well. Never saw a deer and only 1 moose. No question the number of hunters was down and not very many of us in the woods. The deer sign was down as well. The deer herd in Pittsburg, at least to me, has never recovered from the savage 00-01 winter when about 1/2 the herd perished and the winter of 07/08 was pretty bad as well. Much less Coyote sign as well which rises and falls with the deer herd. It seems, at least to me, the deer have learned to hang lower, near civilization as there is more food and safer hideouts.

Spend most of the time in the Indian Stream area.
The northern zone populations are down. Hence the early closure of the season and no "any deer days".

In zome m there are deer everywhere. I saw deer every time I went out the first 10 days.......hunted 6 times ans saw deer every time. The population is quite high down here.

Statewide reported harvest in Kentucky to date is 61,382 (includes all regions, all methods, buck and doe ) but doesn't include potential poaching. Modern gun just opened two days ago and goes until Nov 28. Then theres another muzzle loader season in December.

I'm probably not taking one this year, no freezer space.

It’s odd because I vary my ride to / from work on either NH3 or VT102 I just realized I seldom see deer on the NH side of the river but they’re everywhere on the VT side.

It’s odd because I vary my ride to / from work on either NH3 or VT102 I just realized I seldom see deer on the NH side of the river but they’re everywhere on the VT side.

They go and stay where the food is. Try to notice if there are more oak trees on the Vt. side.

I never understood why people hunt in pine woods, I've never seen a deer in pine woods in my life......there's no food there and it's usually too open for them to bed down.
On this property here there's hickory nuts, acorns, sumac, several low growth succulents, three running spring fed streams, several acres of isolated tall grass/weed bedding areas, 50+ acres of woods and I'm surrounded by corn and soybean fields. The deer stay where there is cover, food, water and bedding. They will travel f necessary but they'll hang out where their needs are met.

They go and stay where the food is. Try to notice if there are more oak trees on the Vt. side.

I never understood why people hunt in pine woods, I've never seen a deer in pine woods in my life......there's no food there and it's usually too open for them to bed down.
On this property here there's hickory nuts, acorns, sumac, several low growth succulents, three running spring fed streams, several acres of isolated tall grass/weed bedding areas, 50+ acres of woods and I'm surrounded by corn and soybean fields. The deer stay where there is cover, food, water and bedding. They will travel f necessary but they'll hang out where their needs are met.
Seen deer sign in a pine stand one time. Looked like a deer hotel from all the bedding spots but it was thick young pine and the canopy was low....about 4 feet off the ground. It was after heavy snow and was about 1/4 mile from a power line that had oaks on either side and the tracks went to and from the power line. I made a mental note about that. A low branching pine stand may be something to check out after a heavy snow if its close to food. A very specific range of circumstances though as I agree.....pine doesn't offer much except less snow on the ground and some cover from falling snow during....or just after a storm.

Update thru November 8

2020 so far 6262

2019 up till same point 5851

F and g says that's a 7% increase over last year and the highest total this far in 10 years.

Seems us muzzle loader crews lost the momentum. Had a 30% increase thru archery season and us muzzle loader guys f***ed it all up. 🤣

Statewide reported harvest in Kentucky to date is 61,382 (includes all regions, all methods, buck and doe ) but doesn't include potential poaching. Modern gun just opened two days ago and goes until Nov 28. Then theres another muzzle loader season in December.

I'm probably not taking one this year, no freezer space.
I have the same problem with full freezer. Doe opening day archery the 8pt last week, will be trying my hand at pressure canning this week. Then store in basement. I have eaten it a few times and delicious, tenderizes the meat. Was hesitant when a buddy brought some for me to try, but changed my mind after eating.

Sorry to hear about the heart attack. Hope all Is Ok. Be well!

Update through nov 29

2019 11,289
2020 12,275

Up 9% through nov 29 over 2020.
Highest harvest in 9 years to this point.

Been a good year for hunters apparently.

On a side note I read that Wisconsin hunters harvested over 188,000 deer during the 9 day fire arm season. 😳 a 16% increase over 2019.
Do deer reproduce like rabbits in that state or what?!?!?

Last edited:
Its got nothing to do with mast crops or food. Its got everything to do with more people hitting the woods. I've never run into as many other hunters as I have this year and am finding it difficult to get away from other people... I saw 6 shotgunners come out of a 9-acre property the other day... Parking lots at the local WMAs have at least 4 or 5 trucks in them every day. Each truck packing multiple hunters... Last year I had some of those places to myself... With that many people in the woods, where are the deer going to go?

IDK if it's because more people are out of work, furloughed, had their hours reduced, etc... But there was a huge uptick in hunting this year.... Huge... The numbers reflect that. It actually has me wondering if MA will shorten the season next year... That had just expanded archery and I can totally see them dialing that back after this year.

Last edited:
Its got nothing to do with mast crops or food. Its got everything to do with more people hitting the woods. I've never run into as many other hunters as I have this year and am finding it difficult to get away from other people... I saw 6 shotgunners come out of a 9-acre property the other day... Parking lots at the local WMAs have at least 4 or 5 trucks in them every day. Each truck packing multiple hunters... Last year I had some of those places to myself... With that many people in the woods, where are the deer going to go?

IDK if it's because more people are out of work, furloughed, had their hours reduced, etc... But there was a huge uptick in hunting this year.... Huge... The numbers reflect that. It actually has me wondering if MA will shorten the season next year... That had just expanded archery and I can totally see them dialing that back after this year.
Mass is only 3 days into gun season. Alot can happen to put the damper on the harvest between now and dec 31.

I was talking about my experiences just during archery season...
Gotcha. My point is all it takes is a long spell of rain and that keeps alot of the fair weather fellowa out of the woods and effects the numbers.

Back
Top Bottom