• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

NH: Constitutional Carry HB536 and Preemption "Campus Carry" HB334, up for vote....

Both of my reps managed to weasle out of voting,, Emerson was "excused", whatever that means,, and sterling didnt vote?????

Gotta get on them. Call and write. Don't let them off the hook. Tell them how important their vote is. They'll listen.

In all fairness to Rep. Emerson, she is very ill and is down in Walter Reed. (I'm not sure Rep. Emerson would have supported the bill, but don't blame her for being very sick) Address below if you want to write a card to wish her the best and let her know that you were thinking about her as her constituent and that you would appreciate her vote on the override.

Please see this statement in this calendar.

Rep. Susan Emerson, Fisher House #5, Room 109, 24 Stokes Road, Bethesda, MD 20814.

http://gencourt.state.nh.us/house/caljourns/calendars/2012/houcal2012_2.html

Now about the RINO's ...

Thanks for that info, i was not aware of her illness, that sucks. I will make an effort to send a card.

Now,, whats mr. Stirlings excuse???

Now,, whats mr. Stirlings excuse???

Sent: Friday, January 06, 2012 11:45 AM
To: Andrew Xxxx
Subject: RE: "Did not vote" on HB536?

Hi Andrew,

I was unfortunately called away from the House floor before this bill came up for consideration. I checked with House leadership to be sure there were enough votes to assure passage, if there had not been I would have canceled my appointment. Fortunately that wasn't the case and the bill easily passed.

Please contact your State Senator( Peter Braggdon) to let him know your position as he will be the next to vote on the bill.

I hope this answers your question and if you have further questions on anything else coming up for a vote please contact me again.

Frank

It sounds like that happened to a few reps this time around - esp. some of the more established ones with key committee appointments. I think we will see a better turnout in the override session if it passes the senate.

A possibly important note:
There is a rumor I heard from a rep that an amendment to create a watered-down version of HB334 might be introduced in the senate. That's especially bad because (in theory) current law already makes regulating weapons the exclusive domain of the legislature, but the courts are deciding on that. If a watered-down version passes, depending on wording, it could create explicit exceptions, making things in effect less liberty-friendly than (in theory) they are today.
Sent: Friday, January 06, 2012 11:45 AM
To: Andrew Xxxx
Subject: RE: "Did not vote" on HB536?

Hi Andrew,

I was unfortunately called away from the House floor before this bill came up for consideration. I checked with House leadership to be sure there were enough votes to assure passage, if there had not been I would have canceled my appointment. Fortunately that wasn't the case and the bill easily passed.

Please contact your State Senator( Peter Braggdon) to let him know your position as he will be the next to vote on the bill.

I hope this answers your question and if you have further questions on anything else coming up for a vote please contact me again.

Frank

Last edited:
Andy,, thanks for the leg work on that, i just e-mailed Mr. Stirling to thank him for the effort, i also mentioned that it would be up again for the over ride veto and expected him to vote positively once more. Regards, Jeff T. Rindge.

A possibly important note:
There is a rumor I heard from a rep that an amendment to create a watered-down version of HB334 might be introduced in the senate.
Sen. John Gallus (R-Berlin) said he was going to offer an amended version that would exclude USNH. I'm very disappointed in him for that.

What does "exclude USNH" mean?

It would exclude University System of New Hampshire properties from the full preemption that is the only reason for the bill in the first place.

In other words, it would do the exact opposite: specificallly allow them to ban campus carry, when they currently have no legal authority to do so (but do it anyway).

It would exclude University System of New Hampshire properties from the full preemption that is the only reason for the bill in the first place.

Ah, thanks for explaining. USNH doesn't come up as an acronym enough for me to recognize it.

In all fairness to Rep. Emerson, she is very ill and is down in Walter Reed.

A response:

-----Original Message-----
To: axxxxxx <[email protected]>
Sent: Wed, Jan 11, 2012 5:06 pm
Subject: Re: "Excused" on HB536?

Dear Andrew
Thank you so much for your email. I hope you found out what "Excused" meant. When I found out I needed surgery I went to the Clerk's office and told Karen Wadsworth that I had to come down for surgery. So she put in an "Excused" notice until I return. I've been here since 12/2/11. I can't wait to come home. I just found out today I need more surgery in March. I'm not looking forward to that at all.
This is the first time in 10 years I have missed a vote. I got locked out a few times but I went down and voted. So I made it in the permanent journal that I voted. This sure blows my record.
Spring has sprung here. It's been 69 and 70. Everything is green and budding out. A little different story in Rindge I here.
Please email me anytime. When I'm around in February I hope to see you and visit.
Susan

Rep. Susan Emerson
Cheshire District 7
Rindge, NH 03461

Bills are in jeapordy...

I heard from several reps and a lobbyist that the HB536 and HB334 are going to be watered down (HB536) and potentially killed (HB334) in the senate.
Open to suggestions on how to proceed.

-Rep. Hoell

How is HB536 going to be "watered" down? Is this done by amendment? Then I guess vote it down. I don't know how it would be watered down since the bill is only a few hundred lines long.

HB334 would mean nothing anyway if the state would simply enforce the laws on the books W/R/T preemption.

How is HB536 going to be "watered" down? Is this done by amendment? Then I guess vote it down. I don't know how it would be watered down since the bill is only a few hundred lines long.

HB334 would mean nothing anyway if the state would simply enforce the laws on the books W/R/T preemption.
I'm wondering the same thing. The bill either has CC or it does not. My first thought of what is planned is to not have CC, but less discretionary licensing. That is a no go. The state deserves CC!!
JW....THANK YOU NRA!

I heard from several reps and a lobbyist that the HB536 and HB334 are going to be watered down (HB536) and potentially killed (HB334) in the senate.
Open to suggestions on how to proceed.

-Rep. Hoell

Talk to the individuals who control adding amendments at this stage. Pointless, however, since the governor would never sign it and we wont get a veto proof majority.

Push the bills through, let the governor veto them and set an example to reps who vote against by letting them see the publics reaction to his disrespect for the constitution.

Oh, by the way, I am an Endowment Member of the NRA, So you know I am PISSED.

The only National Gun groups who are worth working with are the GOA and NAGR.

FWIW, the rumor in the state house is they are going to gut HB536 by adding age and Federal laws back into the bill. :(

Not happy.

Design

What the Senate can do...

The bill is in the hands of the Senate Judiciary CMTE.
Under their rules, they can do almost anything with it.
If they wanted, they could rewrite the bill to award Obummber an honorarium for being the first president to degrade our bond rating.

Bottom line, the have complete ownership of the bill and they can amend, gut, kill, table, rewrite, send to interim study, etc.

The 3 bills that are being heard on Thursday.

JUDICIARY, Room 100, SH
Sen. Houde (C), Sen. Carson (VC), Sen. Groen, Sen. Luther, Sen. Forsythe
1:00 p.m. HB 334, relative to the state’s authority to prohibit or regulate firearms, firearms
components, ammunition, firearms supplies, and knives.
1:30 p.m. HB 194, relative to the prohibition on having or carrying a loaded crossbow, rifle, or
shotgun in or on a vehicle.
2:00 p.m. HB 536-FN, relative to the natural right to carry a firearm, openly or concealed,
without a license.

Email and contact information here:
http://gencourt.state.nh.us/senate/committees/committee_details.aspx?cc=S10

I will be writing the committee members some emails to hopefully get them to release them from committee so the Senate can vote on them AS IS. I know that Flynch will be vetoing so we need to get more support behind these bills pronto. If all goes well, we could have CC and such by Christmas. What a present from Santa that will be!

Reminder... Senate needs to hear from you.

JUDICIARY, Room 100, SH
Sen. Houde (C), Sen. Carson (VC), Sen. Groen, Sen. Luther, Sen. Forsythe
1:00 p.m. HB 334, relative to the state’s authority to prohibit or regulate firearms, firearms
components, ammunition, firearms supplies, and knives.
1:30 p.m. HB 194, relative to the prohibition on having or carrying a loaded crossbow, rifle, or
shotgun in or on a vehicle.
2:00 p.m. HB 536-FN, relative to the natural right to carry a firearm, openly or concealed,
without a license.
EXECUTIVE SESSION MAY FOLLOW
http://gencourt.state.nh.us/senate/committees/committee_details.aspx?cc=S10

Call/email them now!
The public hearing and potentially the exec session are on the 26th. Last year almost all of the pro-2 amendment bills died in the Senate. Don't let them do that again.

Regards,
design

GOA is supporting HB536, where is the NRA???

http://gunowners.org/sa012512.htm
Wednesday, 25 January 2012 14:24

New Hampshire on the Verge of Passing Constitutional Carry
-- House-passed bill to be voted on in the Senate soon

New Hampshire could soon become one of the most pro-gun states in the country – a sanctuary where the Constitution is paramount and Americans don’t need the government’s permission to exercise their God-given rights. Hoellsign

The bill is House Bill 536, sponsored by Representative J. R. Hoell, and it has already passed the House. The issue is “constitutional carry” – a concept which recognizes that Americans have the Second Amendment right to carry firearms without getting the government’s permission.

Granite Staters would still be able to get a concealed carry license – for the purpose of thwarting the Brady Law and unsafe school zones, and securing reciprocity with other states.

But the constitutional right of Granite Staters to carry concealed would not be conditioned on that license.

In addition, House Bill 536 would make a few additional improvements in firearms law, including extending the term to five years and explicitly prohibiting law enforcement from demanding more information than is required by this bill.

Too often, New Hampshire pro-gun groups have quibbled among themselves. But House Bill 536 now has broad support among pro-gun advocates in New Hampshire. Gun Owners of New Hampshire states: “[W]e have to start somewhere, so you should ask your reps to support this bill also.”

But we share with GONH the conviction that House Bill 536 CANNOT BE ALLOWED TO BE WEAKENED, notwithstanding apparent efforts to weaken it by one national pro-gun group.

ACTION: Contact your senator. Ask them to support House Bill 536, and to resist efforts to further water it down.

To identify your state senator and obtain contact info for them, see http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/senate/members/wml.aspx on the legislature's website. Feel free to cut and paste this alert into an email to your senator.

The legislators should be told to hang up the phone if anyone from the NRA calls them. [laugh]

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom