NH: Constitution Carry for ATV's and Snowmobiles.

Current law still prohibits carry on a ATV or Snowmobile. The final hearing for the repeal of these statutes is tomorrow in the NH Senate. Please see the alert on the NHFC webpage:
Important hearing on 4/16 and Rally Report…

215-A:20 Loaded Firearms Forbidden. – No person shall carry on an OHRV, or a trailer towed by same, any firearms unless said firearm is unloaded. This section shall not apply to law enforcement officers carrying firearms in the course of duty or to pistols carried under a permit issued pursuant to the authority of RSA 159.

215-C:35 Loaded Firearms Forbidden. – No person shall carry on a snowmobile, or a trailer towed by same, any firearms unless said firearm is unloaded. This section shall not apply to law enforcement officers carrying firearms in the course of duty or to pistols carried under a permit issued pursuant to the authority of RSA 159.

HB1313 is a simple bill repealing these prohibitions as the license that is referenced is now optional:

HOUSE BILL 1313

AN ACT relative to prohibitions on carrying a loaded firearm on an OHRV or snowmobile.

SPONSORS: Rep. Burt, Hills. 39; Rep. Comeau, Carr. 5; Rep. Sylvia, Belk. 6; Rep. True, Rock. 4; Rep. Packard, Rock. 5; Rep. Baldasaro, Rock. 5; Rep. Weyler, Rock. 13; Rep. J. Moore, Hills. 21; Rep. Green, Rock. 13; Rep. Notter, Hills. 21; Sen. Avard, Dist 12; Sen. Bradley, Dist 3; Sen. French, Dist 7

COMMITTEE: Resources, Recreation and Development
ANALYSIS

This bill repeals the prohibitions on carrying a loaded firearm on an OHRV or a snowmobile.

18-2363
04/10
STATE OF NEW HAMPSHIRE
In the Year of Our Lord Two Thousand Eighteen
AN ACT relative to prohibitions on carrying a loaded firearm on an OHRV or snowmobile.
Be it Enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives in General Court convened:

1 Repeal. The following are repealed:

I. RSA 215-A:20, relative to the prohibition on carrying a loaded firearm on an OHRV.

II. RSA 215-C:35, relative to the prohibition on carrying a loaded firearm on a snowmobile.

2 Effective Date. This act shall take effect 60 days after its passage.

We need to make sure the members of Judiciary know that this bill needs to be passed. Please take the time to let your friends know about this hearing on 4/16 at 1pm in Senate Judiciary

Last edited:
Copy of the alert below:

Dear Gun Owner,

Yesterday, NHFC First Vice President Paul Marquis, Second Vice President Kirk Beswick and I attended the Second Amendment Rally that was organized and led by the National Constitutional Coalition of Patriotic Americans. The rally was covered by WMUR and we heard that other news reports are forthcoming as well.

Five lucky rally attendees won 30 round capacity magazines. We appreciate the effort of Tim S. and Jim F. from the National Constitutional Coalition of Patriotic Americans who took the lead and organized the New Hampshire rally. We also appreciate all of the patriots who spent their Saturday afternoon at the Statehouse. Special thanks to all who spoke, the list is long and includes leaders like State Reps. Jim Spillane and Dan Itse, longtime Patriot Leader Jack Kimball as well as several candidates and other leaders. If you were not able to attend and would like to read my prepared remarks please click here.

You might recall that back in January we told you about HB 1313 which was introduced by Rep. John Burt (R-Hillsborough 13) to extend last years Constitutional Carry law to snowmobiles and ATVs. HB 1313 has passed the House of Representatives and is scheduled for a public hearing before the Senate Judiciary Committee on Monday, April 16 at 1PM.

HB 1313 is a simple bill that merely repeals the requirement(s) that those who wish to carry a loaded pistol or revolver on a snowmobile or ATV first obtain a New Hampshire Pistol / Revolver license. These statutes are inconsistent with Constitutional Carry and need to be repealed. We expect that HB 1313 should pass into law without significant opposition.

Please try to attend this important hearing and voice your support for HB 1313. Even if you plan to attend the hearing, it is important to call or email members of the Committee.

Chair – Senator Sharon Carson, Phone 603-271-1403 [email protected]
Vice Chair Senator Bette R. Lasky, Phone: 603-271-3093 [email protected]
Senator Harold French, Phone: 603-271-4063 [email protected]
Senator William Gannon, Phone: 603-271-7803 (Aide): [email protected]
Senator Martha Hennessey, Phone: 603-271-3067 [email protected]

Thanks for your continued support!

In liberty,

Alan M. Rice

Last edited:
Copy of the alert below:

Dear Gun Owner,

Yesterday, NHFC First Vice President Paul Marquis, Second Vice President Kirk Beswick and I attended the Second Amendment Rally that was organized and led by the National Constitutional Coalition of Patriotic Americans. The rally was covered by WMUR and we heard that other news reports are forthcoming as well.

Five lucky rally attendees won 30 round capacity magazines. We appreciate the effort of Tim S. and Jim F. from the National Constitutional Coalition of Patriotic Americans who took the lead and organized the New Hampshire rally. We also appreciate all of the patriots who spent their Saturday afternoon at the Statehouse. Special thanks to all who spoke, the list is long and includes leaders like State Reps. Jim Spillane and Dan Itse, longtime Patriot Leader Jack Kimball as well as several candidates and other leaders. If you were not able to attend and would like to read my prepared remarks please click here.

You might recall that back in January we told you about HB 1313 which was introduced by Rep. John Burt (R-Hillsborough 13) to extend last years Constitutional Carry law to snowmobiles and ATVs. HB 1313 has passed the House of Representatives and is scheduled for a public hearing before the Senate Judiciary Committee on Monday, April 16 at 1PM.

HB 1313 is a simple bill that merely repeals the requirement(s) that those who wish to carry a loaded pistol or revolver on a snowmobile or ATV first obtain a New Hampshire Pistol / Revolver license. These statutes are inconsistent with Constitutional Carry and need to be repealed. We expect that HB 1313 should pass into law without significant opposition.

Please try to attend this important hearing and voice your support for HB 1313. Even if you plan to attend the hearing, it is important to call or email members of the Committee.

In liberty,

Alan M. Rice
Would this repeal include non-resident too ?

The enrolled text of HB1313 is all of four lines long:
HB 1313 said:
1 Repeal. The following are repealed:
I. RSA 215-A:20, relative to the prohibition on carrying a loaded firearm on an OHRV.
II. RSA 215-C:35, relative to the prohibition on carrying a loaded firearm on a snowmobile.
2 Effective Date. This act shall take effect 60 days after its passage.
Simple is good.

I don't see why it wouldn't apply to all US citizens (who are not prohibited persons) while inside the borders of New Hampshire.
Unlike Maine, New Hampshire's gun laws treat all law-abiding residents, nonresidents, and aliens equally.

Last edited:
Guns, snowmobiles and ATVs – ACTION NEEDED!
by NHFC, Inc. on April 16, 2018

Today I testified before the Senate Judiciary Committee in favor of HB 1313 which was introduced by Rep. John Burt (R-Hillsborough 13) to extend last years Constitutional Carry law to snowmobiles and ATVs.

HB 1313 is a simple bill that merely repeals the requirement(s) that those who wish to carry a loaded pistol or revolver on a snowmobile or ATV first obtain a New Hampshire Pistol / Revolver license. These statutes are inconsistent with Constitutional Carry and need to be repealed. We expect that HB 1313 should pass into law without significant opposition. Click here or scroll down to see how to help enact HB 1313 into law.

I would also like to thank Sen. Avard for co-sponsoring HB 1313 and introducing it to the Senate Judiciary committee on behalf of Rep. Burt. When Senators stand up to protect our rights, we love giving them credit for their work, it is only when they waiver that there are then serious concerns. Some feel we were too harsh on Sen. Avard when he introduced SB500, tying our firearms definitions to federal statutes. HB 1313 presents an opportunity for the good Senators to prove that they are as good as they claim to be.

The good news, is the bill that they have both signed on too is a good bill. It is a two line repeal of current prohibitions. Given that this bill has been co-sponsored by Sen. Avard, Sen. Bradley, the Majority leader, and Sen. French who is a member of the Judiciary Committee, we will have a chance to see how pro-gun they really are. We would expect that any good, Second Amendment supporting Senator would be very anxious to pass this repeal and would fight tooth and nail to make sure that this bill becomes law with no amendments or changes.

I was quite shocked to hear the anti-gun New Hampshire Fish and Game Attorney Paul Sanderson testifying AGAINST HB 1313. You might remember that last year, State Attorney General Gordon MacDonald wrote a letter to the Executive Council wherein he made it perfectly clear that the New Hampshire Fish and Game Department may NOT testify on any legislation that does not directly affect Fish, Game, Wildlife or Marine Resources. Yet, Mr. Sanderson decided to flagrantly ignore the Attorney General’s opinion and continue to pursue the Fish and Game Department’s anti-gun, anti-freedom agenda. Historically, the New Hampshire Fish and Game Department has always been a hotbed of anti-gun activism, last year they opposed SB 12, Constitutional Carry. Furthermore, the Department has consistently opposed the repeal of possessory only firearms offenses, such as repealing the ban on loaded rifles or shotguns in cars.

We have documented some of the worst civil liberties violations of the Fish and Game Department. We also have a webpage explaining why, you as a state resident and gun owner should be concerned about the problems at Fish and Game. I have been watching Northwoods Law New Hampshire and have personally observed the civil liberties violations by Sgt. Adam Cheney; to wit, after a hunter said he didn’t want to speak without his attorney, Sgt. Cheney kept questioning him until the hunter confessed and took Sgt. Cheney back to the kill site and incriminated himself. New Hampshire Fish and Game Conservation Officers operate more like a third world dictatorship than a law enforcement organization in an American State.

Here is what I need you to do to help. Please call or email ALL members of the Senate Judiciary Committee and deliver this pre-written message:

Dear Senators:

Please vote HB 1313, ought to pass without any amendments or changes. Please disregard the lies that were told by Paul Sanderson of Fish and Game. According to the Attorney General Fish and Game should not be offering opinions on non wildlife bills. In addition, Mr. Sanderson is wrong to assert that carrying loaded guns is unsafe.

Thanks for your consideration.

If any Senator responds to your message, please send me a copy at: [email protected]

In liberty,

Alan M. Rice

Ma has a similar law... I maybe mistaken, but that cant apply to an atv on your own personal property can it? I believe the ma law says on "pulblic or private property"?Also i thought it was a hunting regulation.

There are just too many laws..

Indeed. That's where SB500 failed.

Originally intended to end the prohibition on loaded rifles or shotguns in or on vehicles, it wound up complicating things, even after being heavily amended.
Yep. SB500 vehicle-related language may still get cleaned up in the conference committee, but this on top of it would simply remove the handgun sections entirely. Cherry on the sundae. :) (Note SB500 doesn't address RSA 215:... at all.)

Last edited:
Ma has a similar law... I maybe mistaken, but that cant apply to an atv on your own personal property can it? I believe the ma law says on "pulblic or private property"?Also i thought it was a hunting regulation.

There are just too many laws..
NH law doesn't mention whose property you're on, except that you don't have to register an OHRV operated on your own property.

If I took my loaded shotgun out of my bedroom and leaned it up against my 4 wheeler sitting in my own garage, I would be in technical violation of RSA 215-A:20.

NH law doesn't mention whose property you're on, except that you don't have to register an OHRV operated on your own property.

If I took my loaded shotgun out of my bedroom and leaned it up against my 4 wheeler sitting in my own garage, I would be in technical violation of RSA 215-A:20.
I use my atv as a shooting table all the time. Private property where law enforcement is not welcome.

Can someone remind me how awful laws like this even happened in the first place? Do they think we are hunting from an ATV if we have a gun, is that it? Seems it would make more sense to have a law that you can't hunt from an ATV.

Since NH went to constitutional carry, and did away with their carry permit requirement, they should do away with the slow and antiquated state level record check system for handgun purchases and let NICS handle all gun record checks, like they do with long guns.

Since NH went to constitutional carry, and did away with their carry permit requirement, they should do away with the slow and antiquated state level record check system for handgun purchases and let NICS handle all gun record checks, like they do with long guns.

THIS! ^

Yes, please! Or at least allow those with the optional P&R permit to bypass that nonsense.

Zappa said:
they should do away with the slow and antiquated state level record check system for handgun purchases and let NICS handle all gun record checks, like they do with long guns.
Yes, please! Or at least allow those with the optional P&R permit to bypass that nonsense.
We'd have to revise the RSA around resident P&R before NH could become the 26th state to offer a permanent Brady permit. Specifically, the validity period would have to be shortened, under the current law a P&R could be valid for more than 5 years, and that's no good for NICS exemption.

I'm not sure what other requirements there are to get approved, other than just asking nicely?

RE: NICS -- Yeah, we'd probably need to create a state-issued non-carry NICS card or something to avoid the risk of the license being later used as a lever.

Can someone remind me how awful laws like this even happened in the first place? Do they think we are hunting from an ATV if we have a gun, is that it? Seems it would make more sense to have a law that you can't hunt from an ATV.
These are OLD laws related to poaching. Poaching used to be widespread and hard to catch, and these old "circumstances" laws go back to the 1500s in England. They're just holdovers with modifications over time. As in, time to go. We already have laws about hunting from the vehicle.

They create a fake narrative, then vote on it. Any anti-gun legislation is a victory for a democrat, no matter if it makes sense or not. They just chip away wherever they can. That's the clue they are really Progressives, which are basically liberals on steroids.

Just noticed there are two threads about this.
I don't understand what just happened in the senate for this bill. Does anybody understand this? I thought they tabled it, but then is says "pending motion Ought to Pass". I don't get it.

3/28/2018 S Introduced 03/22/2018 and Referred to Judiciary; SJ 11
4/10/2018 S Hearing: 04/16/2018, Room 100, SH, 01:00 pm; SC 17
4/24/2018 S Committee Report: Referred to Interim Study, 05/02/2018; Vote 5-0; CC; SC 19
5/2/2018 S Sen. Daniels Moved to Remove HB 1313 from the Consent Calendar; 05/02/2018;SJ 15
5/2/2018 S Special Order to 05/03/2018, Without Objection, MA; 05/03/2018
5/2/2018 S Committee Report: Referred to Interim Study, 05/03/2018;
5/3/2018 S Refer to Interim Study, RC 12Y-12N, MF; 05/02/2018; SJ 16
5/3/2018 S Sen. Sanborn Moved Ought to Pass; 05/02/2018; SJ 16
5/3/2018 S Sen. Carson Moved Laid on Table, RC 14Y-10N, MA; 05/02/2018; SJ 16
5/3/2018 S Pending Motion Ought to Pass; 05/02/2018; SJ 16

The motion before the table motion was OTP. Unless the bill is taken off of the table and the OTP motion taken up again, the bill will die on the table tomorrow.

Senate deadline to act:
Thursday, May 3, 2018 Deadline to ACT on all House bills.
Tomorrow we can find out who the 14 were who tabled the bill.

The motion before the table motion was OTP. Unless the bill is taken off of the table and the OTP motion taken up again, the bill will die on the table tomorrow.

Senate deadline to act:
Thursday, May 3, 2018 Deadline to ACT on all House bills.
Tomorrow we can find out who the 14 were who tabled the bill.

I know somebody who listened to the vote. He said the only ones he caught were. Gannon voted for tabling it. Bradley, French, and Avard (and I think Reagan) voted against the table motion. Gannon also voted to interim study it before the table vote.

Back
Top Bottom