• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

NH CC law changing?

After Pumpkin III we stopped at State Line and the guy there indicated that at the end of the month the NH requirement for a permit for CC was going away - for both residents and out of state-ers.

Can someone confirm this? As a general rule of thumb I don't trust gun law advice received at a gun shop - even one in NH [smile]

I would be happy if it did, but pissed because I just got my permit!

ETA: http://www.nh.com/news/912550-151/state-targets-permits-for-concealed-carry.html

Sent from my Motorola Photon Torpedo using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Wait, NH did pass the changes?

I don't think they did yet. Last I heard the whole thing got railroaded because there were too many mixed messages going on- due in part by interference from the NRA in one case.

There is another thread on here where user "design" (who is an NH state rep) posted about the whole sordid mess. I think eventually a solution will come to pass, but it hasn't happened yet. (to my knowledge).

-Mike

There goes reciprocity.

If a properly constructed bill ever makes it out to vote, reciprocity won't be affected in the slightest because people will still be able to get NH P/R licenses if they want them- then NH would effectively be like Alaska or Arizona in that regard. (Both of those states are free by default but allow folks to obtain permits/licenses for reciprocity purposes. )

-Mike

That would be great if that goes through locking up my gun every time I get in the car is a pain in the butt.

You don't have to "lock up" anything in NH. The gun just has to be unloaded. And depending on who you talk to, you might want to separate the gun from the ammo.

-Mike

Guys, you're off by a year. The committee returned to HB536 and turned it into this year's CC bill; it took the retained HB536 and trimmed it down to more or less what all the groups agreed on last year. The full legislature isn't even in session yet.

http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/house/committees/HouseBillsinCommitteeDocket.aspx?lsr=709&code=H26

It will come to a vote on January 4. If it passes and passes the Senate, and is then vetoed, it could be a while.

Amazing how slow the law process is...

Guys, you're off by a year. The committee returned to HB536 and turned it into this year's CC bill; it took the retained HB536 and trimmed it down to more or less what all the groups agreed on last year. The full legislature isn't even in session yet.

http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/house/committees/HouseBillsinCommitteeDocket.aspx?lsr=709&code=H26

It will come to a vote on January 4. If it passes and passes the Senate, and is then vetoed, it could be a while.

Thank you for the update on this. So basically they "settled the differences" to mutual satisfaction and that is what HB536 is?

-Mike

That would be great if that goes through locking up my gun every time I get in the car is a pain in the butt.
Why not just get a NH non-resident permit? They are very easy to get.

Get the NH license. Only took two weeks, literally. And locking? if the car is locked, that's all NH requires. Leave it in the center console or the glove and you're fine. But just get the NH license. Makes it much easier to roll between states, especially if you are close. I have family in both, just made the most sense to me.

Thank you for the update on this. So basically they "settled the differences" to mutual satisfaction and that is what HB536 is?
Recall that they got to that point at the close of last session but needed to overrule senate rules to get the language in at that point; that didn't happen. HB536 was Hoell's bill retailed by the committee. This amended it into a fairly spartan, but good, CC bill that does the basics and addresses the key concerns raised about the various preceding bills. A pretty decent outcome. Now let's get it passed.

Get the NH license. Only took two weeks, literally. And locking? if the car is locked, that's all NH requires. Leave it in the center console or the glove and you're fine. But just get the NH license. Makes it much easier to roll between states, especially if you are close. I have family in both, just made the most sense to me.

<sigh> No such requirement here.

"and that the applicant is a suitable person to be licensed".

NH RESIDENTS GET RID OF THIS SECTION

GET RID OF THIS SECTION!

Leaving it in is problematic.

if the requirement for licensing goes away, will that really matter?

-Mike

In reading the text, it doesn't appear to eliminate the need for a permit for concealed carry. This is different from the bill referenced further up in this thread.

The bill changes the permit from 4 to 5 years and lowers the cost of an out of state license, but didn't eliminate the need for a license for CC.

Read it again. (The stuff in knoxy's post)

-Mike

Last edited:
In reading the text, it doesn't appear to eliminate the need for a permit for concealed carry.

Specifically, from the bill text:

This bill:
I. Permits any person who meets the requirements established in RSA 159:4 to carry a firearm openly or concealed, loaded or unloaded, on or about his or her person or upon or in a vehicle.
II. Removes, under certain circumstances, the requirement that nonresidents obtain a license to possess a firearm while in New Hampshire.

Read it again. (The stuff in knoxy's post)

-Mike

2 Pistols and Revolvers; Carrying Without License. RSA 159:4 is repealed and reenacted to read as follows:

159:4 Carrying Without License.

I. Notwithstanding any provision of law to the contrary, no person who is 18 years of age or older shall be guilty of an offense for carrying a firearm, openly or concealed, loaded or unloaded, upon or about his or her person, or upon or in a vehicle, whether or not such person possesses a license, permit, or other authorization to carry a firearm.

Yup. Seems pretty clear.

Wonder if this will pass before my confirmed approved permit will be printed and mailed. :banghead:

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

If time is pressing, get your NH license. Whichever of this and the other (more likely to pass) bill passes, it will be vetoed and then go through an override session, where we have good prospects of seeing the veto overridden. But that is going to take us to Sept. in all probability.

Back
Top Bottom