NH: call your reps before Wednesday Jan 8

The 2014 legislative session begins on Wednesday. There are two important bills on the House agenda.

• HB 498, permitting the use of firearms by military or veterans groups in the compact part of a town for military or veterans events, or national holidays. Ask your reps to SUPPORT this bill. A clear violation of the 2nd amendment.
  • HB 675-FN, authorizing and regulating the use of license plate scanning devices. Ask your reps to OPPOSE this bill. A clear violation of privacy rights.
  • [optional third] HB 492-FN-L, relative to the legalization and regulation of marijuana. Ask your reps to SUPPORT this bill.

• [optional fourth] HB 459, relative to poker games and charitable gaming. Please SUPPORT this bill.

Use this website to identify your representatives: http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/house/members/wml.aspx

Telephone calls to your reps are always most preferable, but if you insist on emailing, be sure to use your rep's name in your salutation. That way your message will get more attention. Also provide your name and address, so your official knows you are a constituent. Anonymous email is seldom appreciated.

In Liberty,

Shem

Coming up...
01/19/14: 2A Rally at State House w/ official Oath Keepers "Oath Ceremony" and speakers. Noon, Concord, NH. More info: https://www.facebook.com/events/1483066081918653/

Last edited:
You know what NH needs? A law that tells the Feds if they want something "enforced" they gotta do it themselves, that no NH law enforcement officer will enforce federal laws.

Frankly, more states should do this. Let the feds enforce their own bullshit. They will find that in some states, they won't be very welcome.

HB 498, permitting the use of firearms by military or veterans groups in the compact part of a town for military or veterans events, or national holidays. Ask your reps to SUPPORT this bill. A clear violation of the 2nd amendment.

You say support it but also say it is a clear violation of 2A. Please clarify.

There's a bill for that too.

**** yea!!!!!!!

On a less excited note though, while that bill is good, it only deals with firearms. I was referring to ALL federal action. If it is a federal law and not an NH one, the feds can deal with it.

You say support it but also say it is a clear violation of 2A. Please clarify.

Sorry for the confusion. Existing RSA 644:13 reads as follows:

Unauthorized Use Of Firearms And Firecrackers
Last revised 1971 §

I. A person is guilty of a violation if, within the compact part of a town or city, such person fires or discharges any cannon, gun, pistol, or other firearm, except by written permission of the chief of police or governing body.

II. For the purposes of this section, “compact part” means the territory within a town or city comprised of the following:

•(a) Any nonresidential, commercial building, including, but not limited to, industrial, educational, or medical buildings, plus a perimeter 300 feet wide around all such buildings without permission of the owner.
•(b) Any park, playground, or other outdoor public gathering place designated by the legislative body of the city or town.
•(c) Any contiguous area containing 6 or more buildings which are used as either part-time or permanent dwellings and the spaces between them where each such building is within 300 feet of at least one of the others, plus a perimeter 300 feet wide around all the buildings in such area.

HB 498 creates an exception to the unauthorized use of firearms and firecrackers law for the firing or discharge of a cannon, gun, pistol, or other firearm within the compact part of a town or city for military or veterans events, or national holidays:

New Paragraph; Unauthorized Use of Firearms and Firecrackers; Exception. Amend RSA 644:13 by inserting after paragraph II the following new paragraph:

III. Paragraph I shall not apply to the firing or discharge of a cannon, gun, pistol, or other firearm within the compact part of a town or city for the celebration of, or practice for the celebration of, military events, military funerals, national holidays, or other military or veterans commemorations, conducted by United States armed forces personnel or other military or veterans groups.

2 Effective Date. This act shall take effect 60 days after its passage.

Be nice if we could make this a sticky. On the first post have all the bills that are coming up.

The only bill that I listed above that actually made it to the floor was 498... And it passed.

There are many purist liberty Republicans who opposed this bill because it granted special privileges for various classes of men.

In their eyes this bill seeks to exempt public safety workers, military veterans and historical re-enactors from the existing requirement that is applied to all other residents. The US and NH constitutions, along with sound public policy, demand equal treatment under the law and not discriminating against (or for) various classes of men.

The only bill that I listed above that actually made it to the floor was 498... And it passed.

There are many purist liberty Republicans who opposed this bill because it granted special privileges for various classes of men.

In their eyes this bill seeks to exempt public safety workers, military veterans and historical re-enactors from the existing requirement that is applied to all other residents. The US and NH constitutions, along with sound public policy, demand equal treatment under the law and not discriminating against (or for) various classes of men.

Ok, so why did you suggest we support it if it fails the 14th amendment test?

Seems pretty dumb to me to ask people to support ANY bill that violates any part of the Constitution. I know the anti's do it all the time, but we try to be better than them.

Ok, so why did you suggest we support it if it fails the 14th amendment test?

Seems pretty dumb to me to ask people to support ANY bill that violates any part of the Constitution. I know the anti's do it all the time, but we try to be better than them.

If you really want to nitpick, the constitution is anti-freedom. People who would support it sound the same to you as people who support the constitution sound to me. It's all relative.

That's what my rep explained it to me... it made total sense why he voted against it and I thanked it for him. He wants to get rid of the statute.

Back
Top Bottom