NH Bear Hunting Query.... are honey burns considered baiting?

WojtekWeaponry

Dealer
NES Member
Got a tip on where I might find some bears running amok and want to try my hand at them. Baiting requires a permit here in NH but I do not know about doing a "honey burn". Does anyone know if that is considered baiting or am I just basically skunked for the rest of the season?

A quick google search for "bear honey burn"....nearly all the results included the phrase "bear baiting" or "bear bait method" etc...

Doesn't lend well to an argument that it is not.

I thought you meant "honey buns"....

As did I. I also thought that it was when you roasted your wife.

"Angel, I don't wanna say you been putting on a few pounds, but there are subatomic bonds in those jeans that are gonna burst and release all sorts of radiation."

A quick google search for "bear honey burn"....nearly all the results included the phrase "bear baiting" or "bear bait method" etc...

Yeah, buggah. I thought initially there was a difference of a permanent vs mobile station but it appears that it ain't legal for anything but grey squirrels.

Guess I am boned until next year unless I can come across one by chance.

Well the good news is it has been unusually warm and the bears are still roaming around looking to add more fat before hibernation.

So I got a call back from the game warden today.

Turns out that honey burns or similar are completely legal without bait station notification because they are not "ingestible". You're not leaving anything out for the animal to ingest by taking it with you so it is legit. It is more of a "cover scent" and not a "bait station"

So I got a call back from the game warden today.

Turns out that honey burns or similar are completely legal without bait station notification because they are not "ingestible". You're not leaving anything out for the animal to ingest by taking it with you so it is legit. It is more of a "cover scent" and not a "bait station"
Fair enough. I never claimed to know much about it, just how it presented itself. And now we both learned something new. Good luck with it. [thumbsup]

I just hop in my tree stand with my jelly donut in the morning, I hold off on snacking till the evening.

It's not bait, it's a snack.

Back
Top Bottom