• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

NH background checks.....what do they actually check?

If the OPs friend is a PP (not sure, don't have enough info) he'd still be violating federal law for even possessing or touching a handgun. Worse yet, if the seller knew that the buyer was a PP, that person could be on the hook, too. Remember that a lot of states won't even blink at punting a case like that off to the feds. (Whether the feds will take it or not is another story, of course. )

-Mike

Of course Mike, but that is not the issue at hand. The issue is him getting his hands on a gun. A FTF transfer (legal or illegal) will do just that and by-pass the background check. That is what the OP is trying to avoid. They can not simply rely on a background check to prevent him from getting a gun.

prohibited person

in a FTF transfer, you are on the hook if you transferred a weapon to one, hense they are supposed to be "personally known to you"... to not be prohibited, or to have a pistol permit (which is proof they are not prohibited)

And that's why I only sell guns FTF to children. Most of them are too young to have a felony record.

Your buddy sounds like he should do himself and others a favor and stay away from firearms. Im sorry, but irresponsible alcohol users and firearms dont mix!

Well, if he's no longer an irresponsible alcohol user there's no reason he shouldn't own guns unless he's a PP. Ain't my business anyway.

People that have proven themselves to have a problem with alchohol and/or substance abuse are not able to be trusted 100% and are inconsistent at best, sorry but they did it to themselves. They have killed to many brain cells to be cognicent of thier actions. Its sad to say but most likely they will encouter a lifetime full of relapse.

A friend's Dad was a raging alcoholic back in the day. He hasn't had a drink in 15 years and is one of the best people I know.

Do you think anyone who has ever struggled with alcohol abuse should be barred from ever owning firearms?

A friend's Dad was a raging alcoholic back in the day. He hasn't had a drink in 15 years and is one of the best people I know.

Do you think anyone who has ever struggled with alcohol abuse should be barred from ever owning firearms?

No, but an alcoholic is responsible for their actions while drinking, and if they did something that makes them a PP, or statutorily DQ'd then they own it.

Sobriety is not a get out of jail free card (so says the guy with 10 years, 9 months and 7 days of sobriety)

Last edited:
Well im glad he defeated the odds, there are few occasions were people sober up for good and live a normal life.

If on the other hand a person is out of control to the point of multiple cited DWI and other run ins with the law because of his or her drunken beligerance, then yes i think that person should not own firearms what so ever. Until they can prove they are sober for good.

No, but an alcoholic is responsible for their actions while drinking, and if they did something that makes them a PP, or statutorily DQ'd then they own it.

Sobriety is not a get out of jail free card (so says the guy with 10 years, 9 months and 7 days of sobriety)

Its the sick, backward, logic of people like the two of you that creates gun control in the first place. Life is complicated, and there's a lot of responsibility involved. Stupidity in general is dangerous, to you and others. Taking away a drivers license doesn't prohibit driving just as gun control doesn't keep guns out of criminals hands. If these people can't be trusted to be part of society, then they need to be locked up... none of this half-way bullshit. Should they be free or not?

maybe I was not clear, if someone screws up while drunk, they own the consequences.

trust me nobody knows that better than I

maybe I was not clear, if someone screws up while drunk, they own the consequences.

trust me nobody knows that better than I

Congrats glockaholic! My father is a success story.....had 20 years of sobriety under his belt before he passed away.

Everyone else.....thanks for the information and the opinions.....they are all very enlightening. THe bottom line here is my buddy is struggling and has a background that will probably prohibit him from LEGALLY purchasing a fie arm.....which is what his family and I are hoping for.

Hiltonizer.....you are right.....making him PP can't stop him from ILLEGALLY purchasing a fire arm just like taking his license did not stop him from driving drunk even after he lost it. But the info I have received is enough to put his father at ease that he won't be able obtain a fire arm easily anyway.

I've received all the info I need from the members here so mods feel free to lock this if you feel fit......it seems like the discussion may get ugly soon! [smile]

Let me ask you this, would you be ok with pounding down a six pack or what ever gets you buzzed and then head out to the range? You dont think your gun handling eticate will me impaired? Would you want to shoot next to a person in such condition?

No, I wouldn't. That's exactly why I'm not a danger. I also wouldn't get fully loaded and go driving my truck either. I don't even like to go down my basement stairs after several pops.

But that's exactly my point, you say people that would shouldn't have access to guns... but we still can't stop people from doing stupid shit... all we do is make things more difficult for us. This is a half-baked system. Either habitually wreckless people need to be dealt with comprehensively, or we need to accept their existence without expense to the rest of us.

Im glad we feel the same way!

Yes, certain people are a total danger to themself and others once they have gone off the deep end and start developing a record,they have made it difficult for themselves single-handedly. Why cant you comprehend that?

I think the lack of comprehension is on your end.

What i'm saying is, that gun control is a farce. If there are people out there too dumb or too dangerous to have one, they are a danger to society in general.. not just because of guns. So lets deal with the people directly, not create gun specific laws. You seem to be advocating gun control which effects us all.

Back
Top Bottom