• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

NH and ME non resident LTC application timeline

jho

I find myself crossing from MA into NH and ME for leisure and shopping quite often. I plan on traveling to those states in less than a month. Does anyone have any experience on how long it takes to apply for a concealed carry license?

Does anyone know if constitutional carry applies to non-residents of Maine? I know that kicks in October 15th 2015.

I find myself crossing from MA into NH and ME for leisure and shopping quite often. I plan on traveling to those states in less than a month. Does anyone have any experience on how long it takes to apply for a concealed carry license? Does anyone know if constitutional carry applies to non-residents of Maine? I know that kicks in October 15th 2015.
NH is supposed to take 2 weeks, but they sometimes fall behind, a month would be cutting it close.

Maine's LD652 is short and simple.

NH is supposed to take 2 weeks, but they sometimes fall behind, a month would be cutting it close.

Maine's LD652 is short and simple.

Thanks. I'll probably apply anyway just to have it.

Since Maine's constitutional carry won't be active until 10/15 it's probably not worth applying for it. Does you think they'll really jam unlicensed people up until the day of 10/14?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I applied for my NH non-resident about two weeks ago. They just cashed the check on august 14th however they haven't contacted any of my references as of yet

I applied for my NH non-resident about two weeks ago. They just cashed the check on august 14th however they haven't contacted any of my references as of yet

Never heard of any NR apps with NHSP checking references.

To the OP, put your application in the Mail tonight, if you've got 3-4 weeks prior to your trip, you will likely have it in hand prior. I'd do the same for ME but you might have to drive to Augusta to pick it up (like I did several years ago) to meet your needs timely.

If it were me I wouldn't waste time doing a survey here prior to acting on the applications.

Never heard of any NR apps with NHSP checking references.

To the OP, put your application in the Mail tonight, if you've got 3-4 weeks prior to your trip, you will likely have it in hand prior. I'd do the same for ME but you might have to drive to Augusta to pick it up (like I did several years ago) to meet your needs timely.

If it were me I wouldn't waste time doing a survey here prior to acting on the applications.
Thanks for the recommendation. Don't know if I can make it all the way up to Augusta. Might just wait for the constitutional carry law to go in effect. The risk of not carrying is a risk I might take. I'll be at the beach swimming in the salty waters of York. Not much carrying going on there anyway.

Sent from my SM-T237P using Tapatalk

As I recall, OC in Maine is legal non-resident, CC requires a license. After 10/15 it's con-carry.

OC requires mag and gun be separated in a vehicle. As in "side by side" empty chamber in the cupholder, not locked away like in PRM.

I may be wrong, I'm sure a "Mainer" will correct me if so.

Thanks for the recommendation. Don't know if I can make it all the way up to Augusta. Might just wait for the constitutional carry law to go in effect. The risk of not carrying is a risk I might take. I'll be at the beach swimming in the salty waters of York. Not much carrying going on there anyway.

Sent from my SM-T237P using Tapatalk

4 years ago they had approved my ME license but not printed it after 3 months "in process". We were staying in York, ME and drove the 1.5 hrs to Augusta to pick it up. On the way we hit LL Bean in Freeport and Cabela's in Scarborough, so we made a day of it. It was a PITA, but otherwise the license might have arrived a month after we left ME!

3 month's wait doesn't sound too much different than MA on a good day! I'll be with a group of 8 with different interests so the detour won't be possible. We probably won't go any higher than Wells ME. I hope the water will still be warm enough to swim in around then! Maine's water is cold to begin with.

I've got applications out for both Maine and Connecticut currently. Both sent in the 3rd week of July. Still waiting.... Maine check hasn't been cashed yet. Will keep you posted on timeline.

Maine permit is still required to carry in certain locations, such as state parks. Also - without permit, you have a duty to inform LE upon contact.

3 month's wait doesn't sound too much different than MA on a good day! I'll be with a group of 8 with different interests so the detour won't be possible. We probably won't go any higher than Wells ME. I hope the water will still be warm enough to swim in around then! Maine's water is cold to begin with.

the more days you wait, the more days its guaranteed not to be in hand, the con-carry in maine requires duty to inform without license FYI

Maine is supposed to be 60 days for non-residents (and first time residents). We moved back to NE in 2012, and it took the full 60 days. If we had moved back just a little sooner, they still would have had my old license info, and I could have done it as a renewal. The lady had my basic info (name/DOB, etc.), but mentioned that they destroyed the other records after a certain amount of time w/o activity.

I have heard that most of the delays with maine non resident permits has to do with the law enforcement officials back in the person's town or state not being co-operative.

I got my NR Maine license just a couple of months ago. It was 10 days mailbox to mailbox. I doubt 3 months is the norm these days.

Looking at OP's question . . . "Does anyone know if constitutional carry applies to non-residents of Maine? I know that kicks in October 15th 2015."

I'm finding conflicting information on the web. I see that they currently recognize some states (Massachusetts isn't one of them). Under the NEW law are all non residents covered?

Looking at OP's question . . . "Does anyone know if constitutional carry applies to non-residents of Maine? I know that kicks in October 15th 2015."

I'm finding conflicting information on the web. I see that they currently recognize some states (Massachusetts isn't one of them). Under the NEW law are all non residents covered?

The the wording in LD652 (and the underlying law) in Maine makes no distinction between residents and non-residents.

Here's the Summary from the ME State Police site on Concealed Handgun Permits. Note that it makes no "Residents only" distinction:

Summary of Public Law 2015, Chapter 327 (127th Legis., LD 652)

Once it goes into effect, Public Law 2015, Chapter 327 (LD 652), “An Act To Authorize the Carrying of Concealed Handguns without a Permit,” allows a person who is not otherwise prohibited from possessing a firearm to carry a concealed handgun in the State of Maine without a permit. This law also authorizes a person to possess a loaded pistol or revolver while in a motor vehicle, trailer or other vehicle being hauled by a motor vehicle. The new law goes into effect 90 days from final adjournment of the Legislature. It amends statutes in Maine Titles 12 and 25. Concealed carry without a permit is limited to people who are 21 or older, with the following exception: If a person is 18 years of age or older, and is on active duty in the Armed Forces of the United States or the National Guard, or has been honorably discharged from the Armed Forces or the National Guard, and is not otherwise prohibited from carrying a firearm, the person may carry a concealed handgun. A person who is 18-20 years old and without the referenced military qualifications must have a permit to carry concealed. The law applies to both residents of Maine and nonresidents. The law does not otherwise change where a person may carry or who may possess a firearm. It will still be illegal to possess a firearm in the following places, with some very limited exceptions:

•Courthouses (17-A M.R.S. § 1058)
•State Parks (12 M.R.S. § 1803(6), (7) and Bureau of Parks and Lands Rules Chapter 1)
•Acadia National Park (12 M.R.S. § 756)
•Schools (20-A M.R.S. § 6552)
•Federal buildings (18 U.S.C. § 930)
•State Capitol area (25 M.R.S. § 2904 & DPS Rule Chapter 41)
•Private property when prohibited by the property owner
•Establishments licensed for on-premises consumption of liquor, if the premises are posted. Note that even if there is no posted prohibition, it is illegal to carry on these premises while under the influence of intoxicating liquor or drugs. (17-A M.R.S. §1057) 1

There will be some circumstances in which an optional handgun permit will authorize the permittee to in certain locations or during an activity when an unpermitted person could not:

•Acadia National Park (Permit required; 12 M.R.S. §756)
•State Parks (Permit required; open carry not permitted; 12 M.R.S. § 1803(7))
•Regular archery hunting-deer only (Permit required; 12 MRS § 11403)
•Employees’ vehicles on work premises (Permit required; vehicle must be locked and firearm must not be visible; 26 M.R.S. §600)

If an individual is carrying a concealed handgun without a permit, he/she has a duty, when coming into contact with any law enforcement officer during a routine stop, detention or arrest, to immediately inform the law enforcement officer that the individual is carrying a concealed handgun. The law pertains only to handguns, not all weapons. It is important to remember that this law does NOT authorize persons who are prohibited from possessing firearms to carry them. If a person is prohibited from owning or possessing a firearm, this law does nothing to change that prohibition. A person may be prohibited from possessing firearms or ammunition under state law, federal law, or both. Prohibitions include convictions (felony and qualifying misdemeanor crimes of domestic violence); some juvenile adjudications; many protection from abuse orders, dishonorable discharge from the military; immigration status; deferred disposition status; certain mental health adjudications (civil involuntary commitment; finding of not guilty by reason of insanity; finding of not competent to stand trial) and certain probate adjudications. Prohibitions may also be imposed by conditions of bail, probation, and deferred disposition agreements.

My NH non res app was delivered to them on July 25 and I am still waiting to hear anything from them. I will probably give them a call later this week to see what's up.

Maine app was delivered on July 27 and I had my permit in hand last week.

I have heard that most of the delays with maine non resident permits has to do with the law enforcement officials back in the person's town or state not being co-operative.

This.

When mine was hung up, it was my local PD. Once I found out, I spoke with the chief, he rectified the situation, and I got a phone call from MSP 20 minutes after I left his office saying my license was being printed and would be in the mail the next day.

For the 1000000000th time, YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[rolleyes]

Update on Maine. Application sent on 7/23. Check just cashed today.

Question, I just bought a bunch of property in Maine and need to get my Non-Res LTC ASAP.

Do I need a new class / Cert to satisfy the proof of knowledge of handgun safety (HGS)? Or does the fact that I already have a MA LTC satisfy that requirement.

Question, I just bought a bunch of property in Maine and need to get my Non-Res LTC ASAP.

Do I need a new class / Cert to satisfy the proof of knowledge of handgun safety (HGS)? Or does the fact that I already have a MA LTC satisfy that requirement.

As stated October 15th the constitutional carry goes into effect. The only downside is duty to notify police. Just get a NH license or lock it up on the way up.

Back
Top Bottom