NH: 619 DW guns in Merrimack NH visited by police for not enforcing [unlawful] mask edicts

Yep that is a valid question. If they refuse to pay and the state suspends their ability to operate via some license etc etc, is that legal.

I have wondered myself similarly, if say Nashua fines me, a non resident of Nashua, for a mask ordinance - how do they make me pay? A resident they could press you next time you try to renew a registration, all sorts of things, but can the state extend it's arm over a town fine? What if I refuse to appear in court over a similar town violation, can they issue a bench warrant? Seems very strange to me these town "laws", really don't know.
Deprivation of rights under color of law. Some people will be screwed per usual, but I suspect some people will end up well off for doing the right thing(they have to suffer first.) Although I think the bulk of court cases around covid are a ways off.

Yep that is a valid question. If they refuse to pay and the state suspends their ability to operate via some license etc etc, is that legal.

I have wondered myself similarly, if say Nashua fines me, a non resident of Nashua, for a mask ordinance - how do they make me pay? A resident they could press you next time you try to renew a registration, all sorts of things, but can the state extend it's arm over a town fine? What if I refuse to appear in court over a similar town violation, can they issue a bench warrant? Seems very strange to me these town "laws", really don't know.
They can probably do whatever they want. Then you will be stuck paying thousands in legal fees while nothing will happen to the town/State if the judge rules in your favor.

They can probably do whatever they want. Then you will be stuck paying thousands in legal fees while nothing will happen to the town/State if the judge rules in your favor.

Well I'm not sure - is really an NH legal question. Compared to MA there are alot of things towns can't do. For instance a cop once told me "this is a town road, I can fine you, it is a town fine, doesn't go on your license, and we can't make you pay anyway, but would you please just slow down?".

I must have missed the ability to fine part.
Sununu has gone full Rhino.
I'm pretty sure there are no fines on the state stuff, at least that's what Sanunu said at the press conference, no fines and no enforcement. So I would think any fines are coming from the municipality. Can't blame Sanunu for what your own town does.

Some asshat left a 1 star review for them on Google because of their mask policy.....while he has a "don't tread on me" flag on his FB profile. I laughed out loud when I saw one of his other 1 star reviews..... on a car dealership that wouldn't use the oil and filter he brought to his oil change appointment.

No the guy who turned them in!

I'm pretty sure there are no fines on the state stuff, at least that's what Sanunu said at the press conference, no fines and no enforcement. So I would think any fines are coming from the municipality. Can't blame Sanunu for what your own town does.

It was done in a strange way, if you look at all the orders, there is one that has been referenced in other posts about this shit that says something to the effect of "violation of any orders subject to a fine of up to $3000" or some ridiculous thing. So what happens is the states attorney dreams up a fine for each infraction.

So Sununu didn't actually create a new fine, but the order for fines already existed.

Also there is some piece I think I read that said failure to cooperate in such matters was also a potential fine (I feel like that would eventually fail under the 5th though, still applies evem when they say "well 'cause virus").

Roudy bar = $1500
Pizza guy = $500
Bakery = $500

The governor's orders have the force of law even though they are not law. Sort of like a judge's orders when issued from the bench. Good luck fighting them, you will pay $$$ and try to show they are not binding but that will never work. No judge is going to say orders are not binding and have every order issued ever be taken to court.

@teamRR could end up owning Nashua! It could become New England's version of Kennesaw. [smile]

All of these rules/regulations are being issued under what the CDC calls the Legal Authorities for Isolation and Quarantine which are primarily derived from the federal Public Health Service act and the corresponding health laws in the individual states. There are health laws on the books that give each state’s department of health considerable authority in dealing with “plague” like outbreaks.

People are talking about fines, it sounds like it's not first hand info, and there seems to be little verifiable info. I know what the Governor said at his press conference, I was listening real-time, but others are saying it can still happen. I suspect some of the reported fines are nothing more than "I heard" kind of stuff and we will never have verifiable information. And I suspect others are municipalities acting on their own ordinances and by their own health officials. Event the OP refers to town officials, not state officials. And while it says they were sent by the state AG, the state AG can't tell a town official what to do and certainly can't instruct a town official to issue a state fine. This sounds a lot more like the AG got a complaint and said not my problem let the town do something if they want, which they did.

I just believe we need to be sure of where the issue is.

Even nhpr is still referring to it as the statewide unenforced mandate, and being a dem/lib organization (don't give me that "they are neutral" crap). I don't think they would be looking to do Sanunu any favors COVID MAP: Which New Hampshire Towns Require Masks?

i am not getting something.
These guys are 100% against wearing masks, and say it is their constitutional freedom to not wear a mask.

What about people who DO want to wear a mask, and it is THEIR constitutional freedom to choose to wear a mask? They are forcing them to take off their mask if they want to use the store?

sounds pretty f***ed up logic to me.

These guys are 100% against wearing masks, and say it is their constitutional freedom to not wear a mask.

What about people who DO want to wear a mask, and it is THEIR constitutional freedom to choose to wear a mask? They are forcing them to take off their mask if they want to use the store?

No shirt, no shoes, no service.

I don't know the store and have never been--too far south. I've also never seen their signs or announcements.

They would be better off simply stating we will not do business with people wearing a mask and leave the "rights" stuff alone. No shoes, no shirt, wearing a mask, no service.

Yup. Take it off or shop elsewhere.
that’s what they are saying.

Do you get to make rules for people if they want to go on YOUR property.... well so does he.
so if i made a rule that any woman who came on my property would have to be bare chested....i would not expect a visit from the local PoPo?
get real

Seriously? How about stores that require a mask, when they had no reason to. Are they dicks?
if i had a store, and you walked in without a mask, i would kick your ass out the door

you are trying to impose YOUR WILL on me....i..e. thinking you are indestructable and do not need to use common sense in avoiding contaminating the people around you.

if i had a store, and you walked in without a mask, i would kick your ass out the door

you are trying to impose YOUR WILL on me....i..e. thinking you are indestructable and do not need to use common sense in avoiding contaminating the people around you.

tenor.gif

so if i made a rule that any woman who came on my property would have to be bare chested....i would not expect a visit from the local PoPo?
get real
Actually, yes you could, and it wouldn't be against any law as long as no one is compelled to go onto your property. But I would think this would be counterproductive as only women you don't want to see are likely to comply.

See how this works? 619DW makes a rule. If you don't like it, you don't shop there, his business suffers. His house, his rules, his problem. It's all very simple.

How exactly is the dealer supposed to verify the identity of a person with a mask on?

Lot of people in the GOP house caucus are at the end of their patience with sununu's unconstitutional orders

One branch of my credit union doesn't have a drive through. It you want to go in you ring a door bell and someone comes to check your ID while you lower your mask. You also get the screening questions. When I asked about it they said they had to check ID because I'm wearing a mask. I asked and was told the mask was not optional. They have since stopped being so strict because they recognize me. And, with all the precautions one of their staff got covid (probably from someone in their home) so they closed for
weeks.

That's what I was thinking. Shooters II at least lets you choose. Seems more free that way. I wear one when I go in. I work in close proximity to people. No plexiglass barrier. I could totally have it and be passing it around. I know the masks aren't 100% but I think they help to a degree.

Back
Top Bottom