NH 2021 Bill thread: Critical Bills need to be voted on 5/25

KBCraig

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What happened and when to these bills is pretty well documented on the gencourt site docket

The house pushed a pretty significant amount of good policy proposals in bills on a broad variety of issues.

The senate in most every case was the body that poisoned the well.....and it was across the board on issues from limiting governors emergency powers to some of the RKBA bills discussed in this thread.

When push came to shove and bills crossed over and conf cmte bs was required it was once again the Senate that poisoned lots of good policy efforts.......Sen Carson was on that CoC and while listed as a republican she's sponsored a significant amount of gun control in the past.....particularly Red Flag related stuff along with dems.

We really need to retire a couple of GOP senators that have behaved like dems far too often.....what we need IMHO is to recruit a couple of good candidates to challenge a select few squishy republican senators next year
Yes.

As always, it was the Senate taking the lazy approach and combining everything into omnibus bills instead of having straight votes on House bills as they came to them.

House leadership warned them all along that omnibus bills wouldn't fly. In the end, only the budget made it through with a lot of nonsense added on, and even then there was a lot of grumbling from House members (including me).

jpk

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Yes.

As always, it was the Senate taking the lazy approach and combining everything into omnibus bills instead of having straight votes on House bills as they came to them.

House leadership warned them all along that omnibus bills wouldn't fly. In the end, only the budget made it through with a lot of nonsense added on, and even then there was a lot of grumbling from House members (including me).

Senate has always been a problem....and a couple of the crustier GOP senators that have proven to be unreliable over the years need a solid primary challenge.....

Back to the gun line.....

Like it or not....I think we have to face the reality that the gun line isnt going away.....the house and senate lack the votes to over ride Sununu's veto and thats not gonna change in 2022

So can we all agree to work on a simple bill that implements requirements/reporting and metrics to ensure/guarantee that the DoS operates the gun line in a highly functional manner that is transparent?

I think thats something that all of the buyers/gun shops can probably get behind.

Maybe we also craft legislation that creates an optional CCW that serves to eliminate 4473 checks for purchases like 28 other state have.......that would make buyers and sellers/retailers happy and simplify their lives.

AFAR/PFAR

NES Member
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
When push came to shove and bills crossed over and conf cmte bs was required it was once again the Senate that poisoned lots of good policy efforts.......Sen Carson was on that CoC and while listed as a republican she's sponsored a significant amount of gun control in the past.....particularly Red Flag related stuff along with dems.

She was the one who spoke on HB195 during the Senate session. Not a good showing and she clearly had no idea of the subject at hand. Not a very eloquent speaker at all.

IMO, EVERYONE that sat on that CoC needs a hard looking in to by their constituents. Maybe some were against the CoC amendmant, but got overruled? They owe their voters an answer.

When I look at the roll call of those who voted nay for tabling the CoC amendment, I see Rep Abbas & Lynn voting nay with Reps Osborne & Wallace voting Yea. This leads me to believe that Abbas and Lynn are not true friends of the 2A and Osborne and Wallace may have been against the amendment.

I really wish those CoC were public sessions and had minutes published or remote viewing. To be a fly on the wall and watch them destroy the bill would be informative. I wonder what they are afraid of. IANAL, but I can't see the Supremacy Clause coming into play with either of the original bills(Senate or House). It does look like they are tiptoeing around it with their amendment.

IMO, that budget bill with that stupid abortion albatross stuck in there was a political landmine. The usual suspects are really up in arms over it. So much good budget related stuff, so much stuff that needed its own bill with its own separate discussion away from the pressure of the budget.

The Senate's original approach to SB154 was a lazy vague feel good concept versus something detailed like the House's amendment.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
She was the one who spoke on HB195 during the Senate session. Not a good showing and she clearly had no idea of the subject at hand. Not a very eloquent speaker at all.

IMO, EVERYONE that sat on that CoC needs a hard looking in to by their constituents. Maybe some were against the CoC amendmant, but got overruled? They owe their voters an answer.

When I look at the roll call of those who voted nay for tabling the CoC amendment, I see Rep Abbas & Lynn voting nay with Reps Osborne & Wallace voting Yea. This leads me to believe that Abbas and Lynn are not true friends of the 2A and Osborne and Wallace may have been against the amendment.

I really wish those CoC were public sessions and had minutes published or remote viewing. To be a fly on the wall and watch them destroy the bill would be informative. I wonder what they are afraid of. IANAL, but I can't see the Supremacy Clause coming into play with either of the original bills(Senate or House). It does look like they are tiptoeing around it with their amendment.

IMO, that budget bill with that stupid abortion albatross stuck in there was a political landmine. The usual suspects are really up in arms over it. So much good budget related stuff, so much stuff that needed its own bill with its own separate discussion away from the pressure of the budget.

The Senate's original approach to SB154 was a lazy vague feel good concept versus something detailed like the House's amendment.
Heres the videos the SB 154 sell out

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQt56ZwHuWY

jpk

Rating - 100%
4   0   0

SB 154 IMHO was a smoke show.....it pretended to provide protections where fed law contradicted STATE law/RSA on firearms/mags etc.....problem there is that we have no laws on mags/etc......so as written IMHO it provides no protections worth squat.

HB 195 as introduced was marginally better than as passed but to be fair theres nothing wrong with the bill as passed and signed by sununu.....

I have no issue with Abbas and co playing hard ball with the senate...or trying to at least.....the senate is the problem....they've taken the poison pill approach to ammending far too many bills in recent years to water down/make good policy/bills nearly meaningless

There are lots of bills to be pissed off about that the senate failed to act upon....HB 307 is one of them imho

Last edited:
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SB 154 IMHO was a smoke show.....it pretended to provide protections where fed law contradicted STATE law/RSA on firearms/mags etc.....problem there is that we have no laws on mags/etc......so as written IMHO it provides no protections worth squat.

HB 195 as introduced was marginally better than as passed but to be fair theres nothing wrong with the bill as passed and signed by sununu.....

I have no issue with Abbas and co playing hard ball with the senate...or trying to at least.....the senate is the problem....they've taken the poison pill approach to ammending far too many bills in recent years to water down/make good policy/bills nearly meaningless

There are lots of bills to be pissed off about that the senate failed to act upon....HB 307 is one of them imho
Abbas is a sell out. And you Are wrong about SB 154 and magazines. See the house version line 23

Silence in the New Hampshire Revised Statutes Annotated pertaining to a matter regulated by federal law shall be construed as an inconsistency for the purposes of this chapter.

http://gencourt.state.nh.us/bill_status/billtext.aspx?sy=2021&txtFormat=amend&id=2021-1220H

jpk

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Abbas is a sell out. And you Are wrong about SB 154 and magazines. See the house version line 23

Silence in the New Hampshire Revised Statutes Annotated pertaining to a matter regulated by federal law shall be construed as an inconsistency for the purposes of this chapter.

http://gencourt.state.nh.us/bill_status/billtext.aspx?sy=2021&txtFormat=amend&id=2021-1220H

Re Abbas, I've listened and watched him defend RKBA and other limited gov issues broadly for a number of years......Abbas is NOT a sellout.....his only arguable flaw is that he believes he can
"reason" with the anti's....including the squishy republicans that regularly throw us under the bus

154 is a poorly written bill with squishly language that the courts would have a field day with and the poor slobs that get caught up in that trainwreck would spend their life savings only to get screwed in the end

KBCraig

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Abbas tends to listen to the police a little too much (he's a lawyer, after all), but he absolutely has integrity. While I don't agree with all his positions, he sticks to them.

Osborne, as Majority Leader, sometimes casts votes that seem out of character. That's part of his job.

It's in the House Rules that in order to move for reconsideration, you must have voted on the prevailing side. Moving for reconsideration immediately after the vote ensures the other side can't bring it up again when the number in attendance has changed. That means sometimes he has to vote strategically in order to make sure a bill stays dead--or stays passed. It produces an odd voting record at times, but it's all part of the sausage-making.

Top Bottom